PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed........

MaddyMoo
23-08-09, 23:20
Hello Everyone,

I need some advice / opinions from people please. I am on fluoxetine and propanolol finally feeling better for the last few weeks and dr says in 4 weeks we will start to wean me off them slowly. The thing is two weeks ago I went for an intrview for a job and didnt think I had a hope in hells chance of getting it and they let me know on friday I got it!

But the thing is they said I have to go for a medical and its in a mental health unit (secure), I am freaking out now because I know that I wont get the job because of the meds I am on but my friend seems to think it shouldnt make any difference. Whats your opinion will it stop me because I will have to disclose it in the medical wont I? They will probably ask if I am on meds or something and I wouldnt lie and also they will probably send to my dr's for my records what do you think?

I was put on fluoxetine following stress in my personal life I am feeling better and really want this job what should I do? I feel like I am a failure. PLease any advice would be great. Maddy x

nomorepanic
23-08-09, 23:25
Well done on getting the job - great news!

I would be honest and answer any questions they ask or it will come back to bite you on the backside at some point.

They cannot discriminate against you for being on meds.

They may not even ask about drugs but on the form I filled in it asked about mental illnesses and I answered honestly and said I suffered panic attacks. It has never jeopardised my position.

NoPoet
23-08-09, 23:32
Nice one MaddyMoo!!

You can actually use this to your advantage: if you need to disclose your medication for any reason, make sure you emphasise that your issues have been resolved and you are now tapering off the medication.

Tell them that you believe your experiences stand you in good stead for helping other people; say you don't want anyone else to go through what you went through, and you want to dedicate yourself to rebuilding lives that have been ruined by mental illness.

Your employers will be impressed, the world of mental health with gain a great new asset (you), you come out of it looking like a hero, job done, everyone's a winner!

:D

MaddyMoo
24-08-09, 22:57
Thanks for your replies you two ! You have made me feel better. I will tell the truth I just hope al is okay and they are still happy to take me on.

Thanks Again Maddy xx:hugs:

Robertc160882
25-08-09, 11:54
Hi Maddy Moo,

The best thing for you to do is to disclose the medication and answer any questions accurately this way the company can make sure you are fit to work. It is in your best interest to be honest as this way if there is anything that can be adjusted to help your condition this can be taken on board.

Occupational Health Nurse and Doctors don’t discriminate based on mental illnesses, however if disclosed recommendation can be made to employers. Often reports that go back to employers will make recommendations for adjustments but wont state the condition and in any case you are allowed to see what is been sent to the employer.

If they request a report from your GP you also have the right to see this before it is sent to the employer or Occupational Health. If there is any part of the report/records that you don’t believe are accurate you can ask for adjustments to be made.

If you are really unsure about it all feel free to send me a private message.

Robert