PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have had depersonalization and/or derealization?

Davaadtron
24-08-09, 02:25
I'm just curious as to how common depersonalization and derealization are among people with various forms of anxiety and panic.

Have you ever had derealization or depersonalization as a symptom of anxiety? How long did it last? Did it go away once you got your anxiety under control?

tasia
24-08-09, 15:16
Yes i get it from time to time when im feeling really anxious or maybe very stressed and overtired i went through a stage of getting it really alot..im so used to getting it now, but i must say its one thing that always frightens me so much i so hate getting that awful feeling you feel like you are really going mad. well i do anyway, after finding nmp i know now its very common and i kind of not worry so much about it. it is a natural thing the brain does at certain situations...weird but frightening too i almost know when it is starting to happen to me so will try my best to do something to take my mind away from being consumed by it...

Davaadtron
24-08-09, 16:22
But it does go away eventually for you, right?

tasia
24-08-09, 16:32
oh god yes it does go away sometimes quite quickly before i let it really take hold...the best thing is not to be afraid of it thats what ive read anyway but i still dont like getting it. Ive been getting it on and off for years since i had depression.

Davaadtron
24-08-09, 16:36
Ok, good. :)
I'm just scared that I'm going to have derealization forever....but being scared of it probably doesn't help :p

tasia
24-08-09, 17:41
Hey Davaadron,
being scared doesnt help try to go with the flow and it will pass. always keep it in your mind that its a very common thing and many people suffer with it. Ive had it for years on and off but not everyone is the same..you may have it a few times and never suffer again...goodluck

Anxious_gal
25-08-09, 01:49
at times when I have panicked , I seem to speed up and everything else seems to go in slow motion, although it would only last a few seconds.

Mindy
25-08-09, 02:00
Sorry can someone explain what depersonalization is? I have had anxiety/ panic attack for most of my life and have never heard this term?

Does it mean that you feel like another person?

Thanks and sorry for sounding dumb :(

Davaadtron
25-08-09, 15:46
Oh, and if I had bad anxiety and high levels of adrenaline 24/7 for the past 3 months and just now I am starting to calm down and not have anxiety, how long will it take for the adrenaline levels to lower and for the derealization/spacey feeling to go away?

A few weeks maybe?

Davaadtron
26-08-09, 00:50
Now I'm worried today if what I have is "derealization" or not.

Basically when I'm outside everything looks brighter than normal and my eyes are sensitive to the sunlight, and it feels like my depth perception is off. Also, when I look at trees I logically know they look like trees but it _feels_ like they look surreal and just...weird, and when I look at them I think this and then I feel a little rush of fear... And also when I look at like white or light colored buildings for example they look really bright (could be related to light sensitivity) and it almost kind of looks like the surface is "shimmering," like a water reflection.

And then when I'm inside I feel foggy-headed and "spaced out," and I feel like I'm not really...fully awake, or fully present in the world. Like some invisible force is cutting me off from being fully present. UGH it's so bizarre...

Does this sound like derealization and/or something anxiety related?
It probably is...I mean, my psychiatrist says I have anxiety so I should believe him...

*edit*
I should also note that I don't notice it when I am distracted, i.e. when I am reading or watching TV or going on the internet, etc...
And also I notice it more when I am outside.

tasia
26-08-09, 17:55
hi davaadron,
yes parts of what is happening to you does sound like derealization. I think you have light sensitive eyes as strangely enough i have too so bright light does hurt my eyes q

tasia
26-08-09, 17:58
oops sorry...i accidently pushed wrong button...anyway as i was just about to say or should i say type..the light does hurt my eyes quite a bit..you should try to read up about it and that would probably help you to understand what is happening to you when you feel like that...its a weird thing but you are fine take care I wish you peace. x

Thumbelina
26-08-09, 18:14
I started having it about 3 years ago, I felt that the whole world collapsed....

I read about it first time in book of Joe Barry "Panic away", he described that it is the sideeeffect of the extreme prolonged anxiety.

This is one of the scariest symptoms.
It still scares me every time, though I understand what it is - i understand that i am not going mad.

Hard to believe Though......

Davaadtron
26-08-09, 18:15
The symptoms are happening all the time though....which is why I'm so scared.

If the derealization went away and came back I wouldn't be so worried because I'd know that it'll go away....but since I always notice it I worry that it will never go away :(

Davaadtron
26-08-09, 18:17
I started having it about 3 years ago, I felt that the whole world collapsed....

I read about it first time in book of Joe Barry "Panic away", he described that it is the sideeeffect of the extreme prolonged anxiety.

This is one of the scariest symptoms.
It still scares me every time, though I understand what it is - i understand that i am not going mad.

Hard to believe Though......

But it does go away eventually for you, right?

rose23
26-08-09, 23:12
yes i have had both. when i started getting panic attacks the derealization i would get it all the time. i really thought that i was about to die or something. i was scared. that lasted like wow i dont even remember lol. anyways like now i will have depersonalization and it freaked me out but it goes away fast now thank goodness. but ya it is a relife knowing that im not the only one that has this.