PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Long post within.....

The Elwood
24-08-09, 20:34
Howdy.

I've just registered to the site - rather than make an introduction post, I thought I'd introduce myself quickly then get to the point!

Anyhow, my name is Mike, I'm 26 years old and have been a police officer for three years. Having read some of the posts and some of the information in the main site, it's opened my eyes as to what's possibly been going on for the last 10 years of my life....!

Over the past few weeks I've been off work with a nasty stomach bug which was treated with suitable medication. The side effect of this was that it coincided with the end of a four week training course at HQ, a course which I had been waiting to complete for ages. Having got to the end of the course, I fell ill and would have had to resit the course - so it would have been four weeks - and all for nought!

For whatever reason, this seemed to kick start a nervous response in my body, which I've encountered before, and had a lot of trouble shifting. In the time after the course, my social and work life has fallen apart. The first sign of things to come was a short shopping trip out - I stopped in a Wimpy with my girlfriend, a place I'd been numerous times before. I'd felt overly hot before I'd sat down, but as soon as I started to order food, my hands became very sweaty, it felt like my temperature shot through the roof and I felt so light headed. When the food was laid in front of me, I gingerly took a couple of mouthfulls before feeling like I was about to throw up, right there in the restuarant. I felt so bad, I had to bail out and return to the car, leaving my poor girlfriend to finish her food herself. Strangely, once back in the car and the A/C was on, I started to feel a bit better.

Trying to ignore this, I went out for dinner with my girlfriend, my sister and her husband. I felt ok for a short while, before the familiar feelings of hotness came over me. I started to do nothing but keep sipping at my lemonade, and repeatedly excusing myself to the gents. Not to vomit, but simply because I felt the need to "number 2". I made it through the meal, not eating a lot, but the meal was cut unnecessarily early.

There have been other minor occasions where I've started to head out with my girlfriend, but then had to return home because I've started to feel sick, hot and have the sweaty hands return.

Naturally, my girlfriend is trying her best to be supportive, but I get the impression her patience is wearing thin and there's only so much she can do. Of course this just adds to my general stress level, as does the amount of time I've had away from work....

As I mentioned before, this is not the first time that I've felt like this. I went on holiday to Florida around 10 years ago. It was the first time away from home proper, certainly in another far away country. There were a few occasions where I had felt queasy, and thought I was going to pass out or throw up in the resturants. I remember coming home from one grilled chicken place and just crashing out on the villa's sofa, and then not waking up until morning.

In 2002, I had the same problems when I worked in London for a year. I had an average office job, and the complete change of pace unsettled me. I eventually stopped going to work because I couldn't face going out and I felt unnaturally ill when I did so. Again this affected relationships outside of work, and subsequently, I came back to the south coast to live with my folks. My health improved, I put back on the weight that I'd lost and generally looked sharper than I had done for a long while.

I then landed a job with the police, and strangely I have never looked back until now. Normally, I deal with stressful situations like water off a ducks back but now I just freak out doing the weekly shop at Tesco! I feel like I've got to get whatever task I'm doing done as quickly as possible so I can return home to the "safe zone"!

I don't know what has triggered these feelings - any thoughts? The only ones I can think of are:

1. Dad passing away when I was 11 (had counselling, though I didn't really benefit at the time).

2. Being picked on at secondary school for this above reason, and the threat of having my head smashed in by this other kid and his gang. I began to shut myself away......

3. Actually getting assaulted prior to the holiday in Florida. I was out walking the dogs with 3 friends when we were jumped by 5 others. 2 of my friends ran off, best friend valiantly tried to help but got hurt himself. I ended up with a closed eye through swelling and bruising, a stylish chipped tooth and shattered confidence.

Who knows? I'm pretty sure it's all in my mind, though I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Apologies for the long post! :)

Mike

bobobob
24-08-09, 20:45
Welcome aboard.. You will find some really usefull stuff here. The people are great. I'm sure you will get the help you need.

diane07
24-08-09, 20:50
A huge warm welcome to nmp

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Anxiety and panic attacks come for all sorts of reasons, if you check out the panel on the left hand side, there is tons of information there to help you. Do have a read through, it helped me massively to understand what i suffered with it so i could deal with it appropriately.

best wishes

di xx

pollyanna
24-08-09, 22:14
Hi Mike and :welcome:

this is a great site for support , advice or just airing your thoughts.
sometimes we cant always pinpoint what started our anxiety, but there are always lots of contributory factors, and sometimes its not always neccessary to find what triggered it but more important to understand the effects of anxiety and a way of working to reduce it to a manageable level, everyone has anxiety, being excessive is the problem.
When i first began to have this problem, i read Dr claire weekes books,' self help for your nerves,' it was a lightbulb moment, i understood what was happening within, it allowed me to understand and helped me move on from the fear.
i wish you goodluck in tackling this and gaining more control over your life, there will be plenty of people here to support and cheer you along the way

Best wishes

P x

jill
25-08-09, 00:33
:welcome: to the site Mike

It is not always easy to find out what triggered this in the first place, for some people it can be one thing, but for many its a good few things, pin pointing down can be hard, but it time hun, you may just find your answers.

You have come to the right place, there are lots of nice people here who will help and support you.

LOVE JILL XXX

kafebrown
25-08-09, 13:47
Ive recently started with anxiety and panic attacks and agree that the Claire Weekes books are fantastic! I carry mine in my bag and refer to it when I feel bad. She offers tonnes of good advice and explains the symptons of panic etc. I think you've got to make yourself carry on as normal - although I know this can seem impossible. Running away just makes the situation harder to face next time. Good Luck! Angela xx

melarney
25-08-09, 15:22
Hi Mike,
Like you i've just registered on this site and like you i've just posted a v long first post too!!
I so understand where you are coming from! reading your story was like a mirror image of my own! I to, feel sick and hot and want to leave a place quickly! shopping in big supermarkets has become an absolute no at the moment!! the panic at the till while the lady slowly puts the items through is torture!! It all seems so irational! I work on a psychiatic unit and am usually really practical and non flustered but this thing seems to come from nowhere! I hope you manage to find some help and start feeling less anxious soon!
Mel:)

Veronica H
25-08-09, 16:25
:welcome: Mike. Your nerves are sensitised and this will get better. The feelings are kept alive by the fear of them as we struggle to make sense of it all. Dr Weekes 'Self help for your nerves' has been mentioned. This is available from the NMP shop together with free downloads to your MP3 of her work. I can't recommend this enough to you as it really explains what is happening and how we can recover. Glad that you have found us.

Veronica