PDA

View Full Version : gig dilemma

emo
15-01-04, 11:23
hi everyone,
im going to see the white stripes next friday (23rd jan) and up until this last week ive been really excited about it,but now im dreading it.its years since i last went to see a band in a venue ive just stuck to the big outdoor festivals in the summer.
last time i was at an event indoors with a large number of people it was my daughters christmas concert for the christmas before last,i couldnt concentrate on the performance at all i was too busy trying to keep my head together,and worrying that everyone was looking at me.
someone recently suggested i try a bach flower remedies rescue remedy but i daren't even try this in case it makes me feel funny or dizzy.
i really really want to go next friday and i want to enjoy myself so any help and advice would be really appreciated.
thanks love em xxx

Lottie32
15-01-04, 12:04
Hi

Like you I've only been to outdoor festivals, until the Levellers came to Derby last March. I organised a mini bus and bought twenty tickets and suddenly we were going.

I'm not very good at being "out of control", so I decided that I would drive myself down. I was also panicky about going, even though I wanted to go.

I coped by making sure I got a few decent early nights before, made sure I ate properly, practicing my breathing and relaxation exercises for the week BEFORE I went. I found out what time the band was on (9pm) and arrived there for the start of their set, missing out the support as I wasn't that interested, and knew I wouldnt concentrate on them and my mind would wander.

I took my emergency kit with me (tissues, water - although the facist security guard wouldn't let me take it in, one beta blocker - just to know it's there, I never take it - mints, elastic band - to put on your wrist and flick to help "snap" you out of any moments you may have). I parked as near to the venue as I could, did my breathing exercises in the car all the way there.

I got a drink and went into the hall just as they were starting to play. At first I stood with some friends near the back, practicing breathing, but after a few songs, the set got really good, and everybody wanted to bounce around so we went right up the front in the "mosh pit". I've not done that since I was 18 and we used to live at Rock City. It was bloody brilliant.

Before we went I didn't think I could face the crowds and crush of people and the heat, but before I knew it, they were winding up, and we had been at the centre of it for nearly two hours. (I must confess though that I am not as fit as I thought I was and Matt had to carry me out during the penultimate song, because I had foolishly tried singing and jumping up and down simultaneously, and just hadn't got the "puff" for it)

The reason you were like you were over the Xmas concert was probably because you weren't really that interested, and only really wanted to see your daughter perform. With the best will in the world, most of us struggle to concentrate on kids plays, once they have gone off stage.

The White Stripes will be totally different, and I'm sure like me you#ll get carried away with the music.

Bach Flower Remedies will NOT give you any side effects. Take the rescue remedy with you. Sometimes even knowing you have some "weaponary" with you is enough. And don#t be afraid to take it.

And above all ENJOY.

Charlie

diana
15-01-04, 17:51
Hiya Em,

Do not stress yourself out over this. Like Charlie mentioned, keep some sort of weaponry with you to make you feel secure, whatever that something is that makes you feel safe. I like the rubber band idea, I think I will start wearing one on a regular basis. They have colors so you can match them to any ensemble you are wearing LOL..... :D. Post to let us know if you find any of the suggestions or anything you find on your own helpful. Good luck, and above all ENJOY, THE WHITE STRIPES!!!!!!

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

kate
15-01-04, 18:44
Well, after reading all your posts I am feeling DEAD OLD and out of touch [:0]

I have never heard of the White Stripes or the Levellers!! [:I]

Kate x

Meg
15-01-04, 18:48
Me neither Kate.

Sadie told me she was off to see Justin Timberlake. At least I've heard of him even if I couldn't name any of his songs !

Meg

kate
15-01-04, 20:40
Oh yes, Meg,

I've heard of him as well, I even know some of the songs he does!!!

Kate x

stimpy
15-01-04, 21:44
Em I'm sure you will have a great time.

I'm also sure there will security guards or medical staff available, take notice of where they are, just incase you need help.

Try not to worry about the negative things.

Think about how great the concert will be, and what you can tell your friends about it.
Take lots of deep breaths and try to wear something comfortable and not too warm.
If you wear a coat or sweater you can wrap it around your waist if you feel yourself getting too hot.

But most of all have a cracking time!

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Buby
15-01-04, 21:48
youre not old then kate just older than some. i dont know the levellers but i do know the white stripes and jt. and the songs..of course. you dont know any french do you?

hugs rachel xx

emo
15-01-04, 23:38
hi everyone,
thanks for the advice,i really like the elastic band idea im going to start that as soon as i can find an elastic band!!
im worried about the bach flower remedies because i have a friend who used it on her wedding day and she said it made her feel stoned!
kate,dont worry about been old,how do you think i feel,my 14 yr old daughter came home from school tonight and told me one of her friends will be at the same gig as me.
my poor daughter will be worried now incase she suffers from "embarrassing mum syndrome"
thanks again love em xxxx

Lottie32
16-01-04, 00:21
Em

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE RUBBER BAND OFF AT NIGHT! They cut your circulation off otherwise.

Bach Flower remedies have never made me feel stoned. Are you sure she didn't just feel like that after an overwhelming sense of relief came over her as she realised that her wedding day had gone well, the groom turned up, and the best man remembered the rings?

If I've been through a really stressful situation, the resultant sense of relief can leave me totally drained and spaced out.

THE LEVELLERS HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE THE EIGHTIES. Young people haven't heard of them. They are quite rocky with a irish/fiddle bias though, and although they have a very big following, due to the state of british music today, they don't get air play. Infact we saw them circa 1988 in Manchester supporting New Model Army, before they had their first record deal!

Just try not to worry / think too much about it, and HAVE FUN. Age has got nothing to do with it!

Charlie

diana
16-01-04, 02:59
Hi All,

I`ve actually not heard of "WHITE STRIPES" either, but yes I do know Justin Timberlake, and is`nt he just a hottie? I think he is just the cat`s meow!!!! LOL..... :D. Of course, way to young for me :(. My rocker groups consisted of Black Sabbath (Ozzy Osbourne), Judas Priest, Led Zepplin, etc. etc. Those were also in the 80`s. I kinda listen to a variety of things now, however my oldest child is 18 years old and she really does`nt appreciate my listening to her type of music. Some of it is okay, but some is horrid or atleast I think so. Well just thought I`d throw my 2 cents in. Hey ladies we are never too old to have a good time, don`t worry about it.

Love,

Diana

emo
16-01-04, 11:08
hi charlie,
i'll definately try the rescue remedy then,you've convinced me that nothing funny is going to happen to me if i use it.
i spent my teenage years in manchester,my brother was dj at the banshee did you know it ?? i think its been knocked down now,but i had some of the best times ever in manchester.
love em xxx

Lottie32
16-01-04, 13:36
No, but some of my friends who were at UMIST used to go!

I suffered really badly after my a levels and that period of my life wasn't really conducive to travelling, so I missed out on a lot of things.

Rescue remedy really is harmless. After all you can buy it off the shelf in Boots, and nothing else that makes you stoned is either a. legally available to purchase or b. only available on prescription.

Charlie

emo
16-01-04, 13:46
hi charlie,
i'll get some rescue remedy this afternoon and give it a go,is it useful for all panicky situations?
i know you cant buy stuff over the counter that makes you feel stoned but when i'm been irrational i can convince myself of anything!!
anyway thanks for the advice,will let you know how it goes.
love emxx
p.s. bet the levellers and n.m.a. were brilliant

sarah
16-01-04, 14:01
Hiya Emo

I use rescue remedy loads, it really helps me. Theres a whole thread on it in here somewhere, just put it in the search facility at the top of the page. You will see that loads of us use it and it works.

I use it for any occasion, whether its going out to a pub or restaurant of just going to get some milk if im feeling really fragile...lol

hope this reassures you a bit

love Sarah
xx

Meg
16-01-04, 15:43
I've used rescue remedy and the individual flower remedies by the swig full and never felt any ill effects - just a sense of relief.

It's purely essences of flowers preserved in a tiny bit of grape seed alcohol .

I'd go with Charlies explanation of the wedding day.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sadie
17-01-04, 13:07
Hi All,

Well I went and saw 'Justin trousersnake' the other night and what a concert it was!! We didnt have the best seats in the place as we were on the lower level seating and at the back and when your only 5'4 its pretty hard to see, but I didnt care..he was fab!!! He put on a great show...the man can certainly dance and sing.

Anyway, I was a bit nervous about going to the concert because I didnt want to panic when I was there and miss the show...I decided to take some rescue remedy in some water and sip during the concert and I also thought I could take a couple of Kava Kava tabs if needed too just to help me out.

Anyway, I decided to buy a new bag on the day of the concert and forgot to put all the meds in my new bag, so when I got to the venue I could feel my chest and neck getting tight etc. I took myself off to the toilet to calm myself down and realised I had forgot to put the meds in my new bag!!! I just thought to myself whats going to happen to me ??? whats the worst that could happen?? In the end I just thought well there si nothing I can do now but stay calm the best I could, put these feelings down to excitement etc.. and just enjoy the show...

I realsied that everytime I thought about the symptoms etc..I was aware they were there but when I was caught up on JT etc I forgot all about them...HOW POWEREFUL IS THE MIND???

Anyway, I have survived yet again...lets hope the next time I go and see a band etc I will not panic at all!!

Take care

sadie

uryjm
17-01-04, 15:44
I would think there's very little chance of people noticing anything out of the ordinary with other people at rock gigs! There will be plenty trying to deal with the effects of drugs, drink and everything else. Plus people wander around a lot at gigs or generally move about, which is unlike the flicks ("Bloody Hell, there's that bloke up out his seat again. Can't he sit still?!) Let us know how it goes.

Jim

diana
17-01-04, 21:41
Good for you Sadie. Sounds like you did great!!!! You survived, and had fun. That`s what counts. keep up the great work, you did just grand.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Lottie32
27-01-04, 11:10
How did the gig go?

Were you alright?

Charlie

Charlotte
27-01-04, 15:01
Sadie,

That is fab. You did so well!! I backed out of a Justin Timberlake concert about two weeks ago as I was feeling really bad but I am on the up at the mo as it seems you are.

You should be really proud of yourself. It is such a good feeling when you achieve one of your goals.

Charlotte xx

sadie
27-01-04, 15:09
Thanks Charlotte,

I am glad youre feeling much better now and dont worry Mr Trousersnake will be back next year..you can go then!![8D]

Take care

sadie

stimpy
31-01-04, 00:30
Fantastic ! Well done.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

diana
31-01-04, 20:38
Sadie,

How funny, I am laughing my bum off!!!!!! I love the term you used for JT "MR. TROUSERSNAKE" how cute. LOL............... :)

Diana xxxxx