PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate?

Trev
12-10-05, 13:36
As part of joining the gym in a promotional offer they gave me a heart rate monitor which I was kind of dreading getting to be honest.
I received it today and on the one hand I didn't want to use it. However, I've been feeling ok lately and so curiosity got the better of me and I've tried it.
The last thing I now want to do is start off worrying again but can your resting heart rate be too low? If I'm doing absolutely nothing it's around 51.

Thanks in advance.

Trev

Meg
12-10-05, 13:38
mines 54 - 60 resting .

It's good. You're fit.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Trev
12-10-05, 13:42
Thanks Meg. Makes me feel loads better. :)
Sorry for asking dumb questions at times but I don't like to trawl the net now unless it's for nice things!

Trev

tygwyn
12-10-05, 13:44
Hi Trev

Don't worry - Check out this Heart Rate checker!

http://gmtv.medicdirect.co.uk/self_Exam/default.asp?step=5&cid=12

HTH

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

Quirky
12-10-05, 13:45
Hi Trev,
Mine can often be 56/58 when resting and I'm not really fit at all so maybe in my case it shouldn't be so low I'm not sure. I've never been concerned by it before but as I'm not fit I'm confused now as why is it low if I'm not fit. But mine can be low or high depending on how I'm feeling. Often it's low at night when I'm relaxed and tired.
LJ

Trev
12-10-05, 13:50
Meg, quote..."You're fit."
Thanks, you're not so bad yourself!! lol :) (Sorry Meg, couldn't resist it.....but I did try!!)

Rach, thank you for that. I feel happy now. :)

Cheers,
Trev

Trev
12-10-05, 13:54
LJ, interesting, I might try it out at different times of the day (but I vow that I'm not going to become obsessed by it!!).

Trev

Meg
12-10-05, 16:50
You better not or you'll have to agree to limited supervised visits with it.

I'm sure Janice will help out by hiding it ..;)[:I][8D]

Meg x

Trev
12-10-05, 18:29
I hereby promise not to use it outside the gym! (Although I did just wear it in the car on the way home from work! [:I] [Oops!]) I think I must have an addictive personality.

Janice would definitely be your accomplice. She's away at the moment so it'll be interestijng to see what she makes of it. [:O]

Trev x

lara100
12-10-05, 19:12
Hi,

The normal average heartrate for a person at rest is between 60 - 100 beats per minute. However, if you are a fit person, your resting heart rate tends to be lower because the heart is more efficient at pumping blood around the body then a person of lesser fitness i.e. because it is bigger and stronger because of all the exercise its had, it doesnt have to work as hard. The heart is a muscle and like all muscles becomes stronger with exercise and undergoes an increase in capacity.

lara100
12-10-05, 19:13
The last message was from Lara by the way, sorry forgot to say who I was!

Lara

Trev
12-10-05, 23:30
Thanks for that info Lara.

Cheers,
Trev

Piglet
13-10-05, 11:19
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Meg, quote..."You're fit."
Thanks, you're not so bad yourself!! lol :) (Sorry Meg, couldn't resist it.....but I did try!!)

Cheers,
Trev

<div align="right">Originally posted by Trev - 12 October 2005 : 13:50:09</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Another snorting moment for me there!!!!:):):)

In my rebounding book it says the guy who developed it (he was a trampolenist in the army or something) had a resting pulse rate of 39 - I know can you believe it!! How fit was he!!!

When I wake up in the morning mine can sometimes be as low as 56 but I think it varies in the day from mid 60's to mid 70's or more depending on the day. Get me on super tramp though and its quite a different story.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Quirky
13-10-05, 14:00
Mine is usually lowest 56/58 at night or in the morning too, but everything here says that is in fit people, I'm not fit so wonder why mine is low sometimes.

Meg
13-10-05, 14:13
Lisa,

I expect you're still physiologically fit from pre ME days.

You've not chalked up decades of crap food, no exercise at all, morbid obesity, smoking etectec.

You may not be able to do much exercise now but all the previous years count into shaping how you are.

We're not talking mega athletic here - just healthy.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Quirky
13-10-05, 14:20
Thanks Meg, I understand now :)
I was very fit and active pre ME, has only been the last year or two I've not been able to do much aerobic exercise but I'm not a couch potato yet, still work and do what I can and manage gentle walks.
Thanks,
Lisa