PDA

View Full Version : pleased to find this site

insecureme
26-08-09, 17:07
hello folks

my name is david and I am in my mid-40s, suffering from Generalised Anxiety Disorder.

I found this site when googling for info on Incapacity Benefit Medicals- I have one coming up and am petrified.

I have had excellent treatment with a Clinical Psychologist which turned me from a gibbering wreck into a slightly less gibbering wreck. My condition started when I was 6 when my mum disappeared. In 2000 I returned from many years living abroad to find my mum, and I did. That's when I fell apart.

I am happy to be here among fellow mental health sufferers, because many people I know who have mental health problems also have a lot of empathy and can funnily enough be good fun too.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

In the meantime I shan't sleep as my medical is approaching.

david x

Madeleine
26-08-09, 20:25
Hi David,

I am new to this site too. I'm sorry to hear about what you've been through, but i'm glad to hear that you're getting better with the help of your Clinical Psychologist.

Could I ask you where and how often you see him/her? It's just i'm having councelling once every 1/2 weeks and I really feel I need more.

Would be great to chat with you.

Madeleine.

diane07
26-08-09, 20:27
Hi David

A huge warm welcome to nmp

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way

best wishes

di xx

insecureme
27-08-09, 10:47
Hi diane and madeleine

thanks for the welcome :-)

madeleine, I got the treatment with the Clinical Psychologist through my former employer. I was very fortunate, as I believe that level of treatment is not readily available through the NHS.

I had previously had a few courses of CBT which, although they helped, really only skimmed the surface. The psychologist used some CBT but other methods as well (don't ask me which ones!) She was also much more hands on than the counsellors I'd had in tha past. Where they would hardly talk and just get me to speak, she regularly intervened and told me why I was thinking/behaving as I was- I found that very helpful. The treatment I had came to an end a few months back.

I saw her every 2-4 weeks for a year and a half. I have always found that counselling/therapy is a long process and you have to be patient.

I am quite a bit better these days- not 100% and have been told I am unlikely to make a full recovery, but that's ok- at least I know what's wrong and why.

Feel free to message me :-)

again, it's a breath of fresh air to find this site and read through the forums.