PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Sertraline

SamP
28-08-09, 13:46
:huh: Just wanted to know whether anyone else was on citaolpram and they were changed to sertraline. I went to the docs on Wednesday about my tablets and I told him I felt the citalopram were no longer doing anything for me so he said he'd try me with sertraline. I am a liitle worried changing, I start the sertraline tomorrow. He mentioned that the tablets are similar so it should not be a problem going from one to the other. Thanks Sam

joans60
28-08-09, 16:49
Hi Sam
I have just read your post
I was on sertraline and I changed to citalopram
Took the new one the next day I did not have any side effects changing
That is what I questioned my doctor about and he told me the same I would not have any siode effects
What strength Citalopram were you on and what strength sertraline has he given you.
Good Luck

Joanx

Panic33
28-08-09, 21:02
My doc changed me from citaolpram to sertraline - I was having awful side effect with Citaopram. I've only had sertaline for 1 day but so far no bad effects at all.

Panic33
29-08-09, 10:28
Woke at 4am tho having a major panic attack, been ok since, still nothing like as bad as the other med.

SamP
01-09-09, 13:46
Hi Sam
I have just read your post
I was on sertraline and I changed to citalopram
Took the new one the next day I did not have any side effects changing
That is what I questioned my doctor about and he told me the same I would not have any siode effects
What strength Citalopram were you on and what strength sertraline has he given you.
Good Luck

Joanx
Thanks Joan, Citalopram 40mg and Sertraline 50mg

charleen
02-09-09, 15:28
I have just been prescribed them today as well, have been on prozac for the last 5 years, will start taking them tomorrow. Good luck and keep in touch.

SamP
02-09-09, 16:33
I have not started the sertraline yet I have decided to finish my last few citalopram. Once I start taking them will let you know how I get on

charleen
07-09-09, 17:58
Thats 5 days now,still feeling a bit paniky but ok. I think I'm just waiting for something drastic to happen, and it's not. Slow but sure I guess.

SamP
21-09-09, 13:22
I have been taking the sertraline for 11 days now.

The first couple of days I did feel a bit panicky but I think that was down to me worrying. I can't say whether they are helping at the moment I just feel the same as when I was on citalopram but my doctor did say give them a month so hopefully I will notice a difference later on.

For the past couple of days though I have not felt too good and I am not sure if its down to the tablets or whether I have picked up a bug. I have dreadful pains in my head, feel sick and keep wanting to sleep.

Panic33
21-09-09, 21:43
Sertraline 50mg made me drowsy around day 8 - 11

Maj
21-09-09, 21:52
I took sertraline years ago and had no side affects, maybe just a vague headache. I found them wonderful. No side affects coming off 6 months later either. I haven't had citalopram but fluoxetine made me feel awful. It's amazing how different each medication can make you feel. Good luck and I hope they help you.
Myra:yesyes:

munkeyinblack
28-09-09, 14:07
I jst took my first Sertraline today after being on citalopram for 2 weeks and haveing to come off due to severe anxiety and stomach aches. Hope fully this will work a bit better. Fingers crossed!
Hope your getting on ok
x

SamP
30-09-09, 14:11
Have had an horrendous week, the pains in my head have been terrible to the point where I had to have a couple of days in bed and a few days off work. Went to the doctors yesterday and as usual non commital as to whether it is down to the tablets but she recommended that I have stop taking them now and she said go a week without anything to see if the pains stop and then I am to go back on the citalopram but start off at the lower dosage and increase in a months time if necessary.

Just because I am having a bad time doesnt mean you will experience the same we are all different and suit different things

munkeyinblack
01-10-09, 20:25
iv not had any bad effects yet but they havent kicked in yet either.... i hate the hanging around waiting for something to change and worrying that every tiny change like a headache is guna be a bad side effect. Perseverance is key i guess.

SamP
07-10-09, 13:45
I have had a week free of tablets and the pains in my head have eased I started the citalopram again this morning just back on the 20mg so we'll see how things go. I have started an anxiety management course which runs for 8 weeks. I keep plodding on with good days and bad days.

SamP
23-10-09, 21:27
Feeling ok with the citalopram, the anxiety group is really good. Had a bit of a bad day today with dizzyness and not wanting to do certain things as I didnt feel safe so was scared to try just for example wanting to open a cupboard door took me ages.

Maz21
29-10-09, 15:54
I started taking sertraline around a month ago, the first week I had really bad side effects with migraine, sickness and diahorria but I stook with it and I actually feel much better this last week, havnt panicked half as much or worried about my health as much. A few days I've actually woken up in a happy mood! which was a strange sensation lol but I would reccomend them as I am feeling much better and this is only on the 50mg.

marcma02
20-10-13, 06:09
Hi, I am thankful i found this. i feel much better. Before i started citalopram my symptoms were inability to make a decision, felt really anxious most of the time and cried a lot and felt guilt for everything. i have been on citalopram about 7 years now. top dose about 6 months ago was 40 mg. told the doctor it felt like it wasn't working but i was really afraid to go of it. About 3 years into taking it I felt 'normal' thought i would ever so slowly wean myself off. i decreased my 40 mg by 5 mg for the week. then another 5mg lower the next week and so on. I never got all the way off. i absolutely hated people, they annoyed me to the point i could have wished them dead. I decided to start going back to the prescribed dose aaaannndddd-much better! So like i said that was about 4 yrs ago things went well for the next 3-4 years. The I notice everybody is annoying me, and not just a little bit. I can't make decisions, feel like crying or killing, feeling guilty for things that were not my fault. Just felt 'crazy'. Had to take a couple days off from work and went to pcp. She thought and decided to change me to sertraline 100 mg. I t has been two days and i feel nothing bad from the citalopram decreasing (probably because it had stopped working) and in the 2 days i file a noticeable difference. I think I will be ok again. I was really scared. I had no side effects when i went on citalopram.

Lyndydaisy
01-04-14, 16:27
Hello everyone
I am new today, 1st April. I have suffered from anxiety all my life and recently it has spiralled out of control, compounded by OCD and what my doctor says is a form of post traumatic stress disorder due to living with cancer for 12 years now. My doctor changed my medication from 40mg Citalopram (which I have been on for years now) as she thinks it may have stopped working for me. She has put me on 50mg Sertraline for two weeks when I have to go back and see her. Looking at various posts on forums I am rather worried that this is a very low dose compared to 40mg Citlopram. Can anyone advise me about that? So far today (first dose) I have felt a bit headachey and nauseous but nothing too bad.
Thanks everyone.
Lynda

lisha371
01-04-14, 21:57
I have gone from citalopram to sertraline, to cut a long story short I stopped taking the citalopram because i thought I was better tried Sertraline and I not sure they working as well as citalopram..