PDA

View Full Version : why wont docs let me try benzos?????

xxkerixx
28-08-09, 14:10
hi to all just wondered if anyone is on any type of benzo treatment and if so was it a struggle to be put on it. i am currently on dothepin and been back to docs today due to anxiety being really bad i have tried different meds in the past but with no effect and i have heard that benzos work really well so i ask gp if i could try and he said no as the addictive rate is very high so instead he precribed me propanolol and escitalopram which i find very hard to understand as ive been on citalopram before and didnt work but apparently the two are different so can anyone shed some light to why i cant try benzos for some reason and if anyone has had benzos had any bad times on this medication.I just feel a bit cheated as benzo are used to treat anxiety and it dont make no sense to me why i cant try it. help and replys please ////thanks kerrie xx

nomorepanic
28-08-09, 14:17
They are very addictive and should only be used short term so your doctor is right not to give them to you to be honest.

You are best to stay clear from them

SueBee
28-08-09, 14:22
Hi Keri,

I dont have that much experience with benzos but I'll try to give what little info I have.

I had really bad anxiety earlier this month so after 3 nights with no sleep I went off to the docs. She upped my paroxetine and also gave me 2 weeks worth of diazepam, both to calm me down and help me sleep.

First week was fine, they really helped but during the second week I found that they werent as effective so had to take more to achieve the desired effect. Just goes to show how quickly your body gets used to them.

They were good in the short term but I wouldnt like to take them long term.

Also, sometimes it just comes down to which doctor you see as to whether you'll get them or not.

Maybe give the meds you're on a couple of weeks and if theres no change then go back to the doc :)

xxkerixx
28-08-09, 14:47
thanks sue for reply i am gonna give these a go so fingers crossed i am also 75mg of dothepin at night so i sleep well so thats a blessing i heard that the benzo were really effective so out of deperation wanted to try but really glad to hear your view.. thanks very much hope you feel better soon xx

SueBee
28-08-09, 15:20
Good, glad it helped a little.

I could have coped with the anxiety during the day but not the lack of sleep, it was driving me mad!

At least you get some respite during the night so thats a blessing.

Give the meds a bit of time to get to work, they'll be far better in the long run than benzos.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon :)

xxkerixx
28-08-09, 16:00
thanks sue keep me posted on how your doing good luck xx

spastic
07-09-09, 04:16
I take Xanax 3X/day @ .25mg/dose. Prescribed by a pdoc with a very good reputation. Interesting how different benzos are viewed at opposite sides of the pond. I've missed doses even skipped days altogether and never have felt addicted or tied to the drug. Been taking it for months now and it helps quite a bit.

mapmaker
14-09-09, 17:33
i've taken xanax for 10 days.. and its helped vs anxiety...but don't little to help me sleep....Heck I didn't sleep at all last night on the 10th night. if you have a choice. chose something to help you that you know isn't addictive. btw.. my anxiety is really bad including nocturnal panic attacks....and the psychiatrist who gave me my first benzo prescription gave it to me reluctantly.

joannap
14-09-09, 18:35
gps don't like prescribing these as they are VERY addictive. my friend who is pregnant has terrible anxiety and they would only give her a max of 3 weeks prescription. i know anxiety is terrible but you really don;t want an addiction on top. i had to ring the out of hours gp over the weekend to ask for something to calm me down because i felt so bad - i did get offered diazapam but i said no way - not for me and got beta blockers instead. whey don't you ask for those - they really take the edge of anxiety.

joannap
14-09-09, 18:37
ps - just read you have beta blockers - you need to take at least 80-120mg a day. escitalopram is often given to people who do not think citalopram works.

carlos678
15-09-09, 22:47
Benzo's can cause addiction and after long term use will undoubtedly cause dependence (you will need them to function). Then when you decide to stop you will be faced with the infamous withdrawals.

Exhaust all other methods/meds before you consider taking that path.