PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia and panic attacks

Gabrielle
28-08-09, 15:53
Does anyone with emet also get panic attacks where they feel they are absolutely going to be sick? When the panic subsides, so does the nausea.

I often feel nauseous, and I think it's part of the phobia because I'm far more attuned to my body and whether my stomach is full or grumbling or whatever... everything makes me feel sick! Sometimes, however, it tips over into stomach-churning panic and I feel completely sure I'm going to be sick.

I've just left my partner - who is enrolling on to a new course at university - in the middle of London and had to turn back to come home because I was feeling so sick. I feel like the worst person in the world. :weep:

When I had food poisoning a couple of months ago I thought I would beat this, because (a) it wasn't as bad as I had remembered (I hadn't been sick for 15 years previous to this occasion) and (b) I'd faced the fear. But in a sense, it's just got worse. I'm so so so fed up with this phobia and all this anxiety. I'm meant to be going on holiday on Sunday and all I can think about is whether I'm going to be sick or feel sick or panic.

sweetypie
28-08-09, 17:41
i suffer nausea specially at night
what caused the food poisning and was it bad?
a week ago i had bad nausea and heavy stomach all night after an indian i was so scared because i thought i was guna be sick luckly i ad my anti sickness pills didnt really take it off lol but i did cope
im starting to cope actually because iv been thinking all day about the last time i was sick from a bug 2 yrs ago and was only sick one or twice and after that i felt on top of the world so i keep thinking well if im guna be sick at least i dont after suffer for another year or so
if u need to no any thing else to pm hunni x i no what ur going through x

maeanna
29-08-09, 18:48
Hi Gabrielle, yep i do too! I had salmonella twice and coped fine with it but since going away on hol 2 yrs ago when i got the 2nd bout i have become so much worse although i moved to London to live with my partner last year but got to the point of where i thought i was going to be sick constantly and have just given up my job coz i couldnt face the commute each day on the train in case i was sick. My partner cannot understand it and so we split up and I hardly go out anymore. But today I made myself go shopping with a friend coz im better with someone there and i went for lunch and was fine.
Have u tried distracting yourself by talking,listening to music etc? I find when i start to feel panicked if i can quickly distract myself sometimes i forget about it!
Also have u tried bachs rescue remedy? it helps. Im now trying Inositol and vitamin B6 to try and help the anxiety. Il post to let people know how im doing!
Anyway take some motilium 10 (over counter) on hols coz that will stop any fullness or queasiness!
Ul prob be fine once u gt their its just the anticipation and worst case scenario negative thoughts coming into ur head!
Hope all goes well,