PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with Cipralex

Georg
28-08-09, 19:00
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum. Been reading alot and I must say I find it very reassuring that my symptoms is similar to what other people are experiencing.

9 years ago I had a rough period with alot of physical symptoms that scared me. I did all kinds of test but they never found anything, long after the physical illnes was gone I was stuck with deep depression and anxiety, luckily a combination of 20mg cipramil and counseling helped me get back on my feet and I got back to a normal life.

But the meds always left me feeling a bit mellow, neither high nor low. Now I'm 27, got a wife and a 2 year old daughter, I wanted to get a "taste" of life again so to speak, so with my doctor I agreed to stop with the meds, and I started doing so slowly with increasingly smaller dosages, this was from may to july. By mid july I was off completely. I didnt feel much different, other than I felt I slept much better.

However the stress was again getting to me, you see here in Norway where I come from its normal with a long holiday, so both me,my wife and kid had 5 weeks off with not much to d. We had a hard time keeping our kid occupied as she craves attention all the time when she is awake, I started getting chest pains again and felt burnt out.

Two weeks ago I felt like I was goin into a depression again, fearing that I should become ill again like I was 9 years ago I started right away on my meds without consulting my GP. 20 mg Cipramil. Oh boy, if I thought I were depressed before I took them I was 100x so after starting, and then the anxiety came and the nausea from the pills.

I went to my GP 4 days after starting with the meds again, he prescribed me 10mg Cipralex instead as he told me those had fewer side effects. Also got sickleave from work until friday (Im going to as for more)

That was on monday, today its friday and Im bearly hanging on. It's like a black veil has trapped me and I can't get out. If I could cut of my arm to make this feeling go away I would :(

I wake up with severe nausea and feeling anxious. I have an open relationship with my wife and my parents and I have told the everything, it helps alot but still it feels like I'm going crazy, I find myself pondering if I ever will be happy again. For me its worst in the morning/midday, and becomes bearable in the evening.

I guess I just wanted to vent some of experiences, I'm also very intersted to know if anyone else have swapped from cipramil to cipralex. Im considering going back to cipramil as that has worked for me before, but I know it takes at least 3 weeks for any effect so I think perhaps I should hang on to cipralex anyways?

bab
28-08-09, 21:35
hi there

i changed from cipramil to cipralex and in the beginning it is awful but once the side effects go its worth it - try and stick it out for a few weeks

Georg
30-08-09, 17:25
Im even worse now. Today I got my mom to take me to the emergency, spoke with a doc which gave me something to sleep on. She said I had to be patient for the meds to work... I can barely hang on, my mind is racing even though Im not thinking about anything. I feel out of control. The right side of my brain feels numb and my right eye is blurry. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this?

bab
30-08-09, 23:23
Hi Georg

I promise this is totally normal - it will pass

Panic33
30-08-09, 23:24
I took Cipralex last year for nearly 2months - had no side effects and worked for me. I was given it again about 3weeks ago and had terrible side effects this time, I told my Gp and he switched me to Sertraline - so far no really bad side effects.

Georg
12-09-09, 15:56
Thought I would give a quick update. Im now on week 4 on cipralex and Im starting to see the light again. Even thought its still hard I dont have all these horrible thoughts and no longer the feeling that I will never become well again.

Its still pretty bad dont get me wrong. I take 5mg now right before I go to bed. Its at its worst in the morning/midday. Then its like Im back to my old self again in the evening.

I can now drive my car again and do some errands, but I still feel scared of being alone, and I do not think Im ready to start working again.

I hope I will get better soon, I will update in a week or two :)

BexieB
15-10-09, 14:04
Hi Georg,

Just wondering how you're doing. I'm thinking of going back on ADs myself. You reminded me of all those awful symptoms I had when starting Cipralex, everything was totally bleak, So Cipralex won't be my new AD of choice.

Anyway hope you're well

Georg
15-10-09, 16:29
Hi

Luckily I am doing much better. I am now at week 8 on cipralex where I've been on 15mg for the last two weeks.

They really didnt start working for me until last week. Before that it only felt like they made me worse. I also had a serious drawback about the 6-7 week mark, where I felt I was back at square one.

Mind you I am still nowhere near where I want to be, and I am still not able to go to work. But at least I can see the light again so to speak. I am also better at coping in the mornings and being alone. There are however some odd days where I don't feel too good.

I went to the GP today and he upped me to 20mg, so I will start my new dosage tonight. Hopefully this together with me pushing myself to do things will be my ultimate remedy.

BexieB
15-10-09, 16:42
Hi Georg,

Thanks for the reply. I was interested in your story because it was so like my own experience of Cipralex. I struggled a lot when i went on Cipralex too, It took 2 months before things even started to look okay again. I also had some dips on it and was put on the 20mg dose, which made a big difference. I was on it for a year, but 3 months after finishing it my symptoms are returning. I'm trying to get through without meds at the moment, because I can't do my normal job while on these meds

I'm going to see my doc in 2 weeks, if I don't feel any better i'll seriously consider the meds again. But not Cipralex. I was on Seroxat years ago and had none of those 'black veil' side effects, and they worked much quicker.

Anyway glad to know you feel a bit better

Georg
15-10-09, 18:06
Are you saying that Cipralex did not work for you then, and that the year you where on the you were unable to work at all? What was the reason you came off them?

BexieB
16-10-09, 12:21
Hi Georg

No, don't fret, Cipralex did work very well eventually (esspecially when i went to 20mg). But I was anxious to be free of meds so I could resume my normal job. I've been confined to office work while on this sort of medication, which is the norm in my line of work. I went back to work (office work) after about 4 weeks on Cipralex. Still felt awful, but the work was easy and i could do as much or as little as i wanted. I came off Cipralex gradually with no bad side effects. But problems have returned for me now, I really should have stayed on them for longer, but i'm a bit of an impatient individual.

I'm working through things now using all the other coping techniques i've learned lately, CBT, meditation, Qi Gong, yoga etc. Hoping to come out the other side without meds. Today has been my best day in 4 weeks, hope i'm on the upward curve.

Don't get me wrong, i would have stayed on the meds indefinitely if it wasn't for my job, and i'd never rule out taking them again, they really work. It's just hell waiting for them to work. Real Hell.

How's your 'black veil' (I really liked your description - very apt) hope it is lifting a bit. I found the recovery VERY gradual on this med, but was back to normal in about three months, yes that long. Hang in there, I know it seems endless but it does get better.:yesyes:

Georg
16-10-09, 13:42
I do not feel like its a 'black veil' anymore thankfully. I do not feel very depressed either, its my anxiety that is bothering me the most now. It is still worse than when I started the meds. Mind I ask you what your normal job is and why you could not do it whilst on cipralex? I am an ITconsultant and I really hope I can get back soon

BexieB
16-10-09, 14:38
Hi Georg,

I don't want to give much away, you never know whose reading these posts and i'm sure you're aware of the stigma attached to any mood disorder. I work in a safety-critical area of the aviation industry and have strict medical standards that must be met, pyschoactive meds are an absolute no-no. My employer is pretty good though, they have never put any pressure on me to return to my normal job, it's me that put that pressure on myself.

I had the same anxiety issues on cipralex. My anx got so much worse and i found myself trying to recover from the anx effect of the med rather than the original anx/depression. That's why the decision to go on ADs again is such a big one.

But rest assured you have done a lot of the hard work now. The anx will improve. And don't be discouraged by the odd blip. I had some periods (some of them lasting up to 10 days) when i felt i'd gone back to square one. These times are horrible, you'll feel totally lost, but they pass and they're NORMAL. It's all about the meds stabilising in your system.

Look how far you've come, you're meds are working and will continue to do so. WELL DONE YOU :hugs:

Check your PMs

Georg
23-10-09, 13:37
Thought I should make an update. I am now on week 10, with the last week on 20mg cipralex.

I definitely started feeling better, but yesterday it all fell apart it seems. I woke with chest pains (more than I've had before) and it worsened as the day passed. I had what I can only describe as an anxiety attack where I had to lay on the couch and control my breathing, while I felt my heart throb in my chest, feeling every heartbeat.
Luckily it passed within a few minutes. Can''t recall I've ever had that before.

Now I'm stuck with this horrible feeling in my chest going out all the way in left arm.
I keep trying to convince me its only my anxiety playing a trick on me but its very hard, I really felt like it was my last moment yesterday. I guess I should forget the notion about heart issues as I'm only 27 years old and have no prior health issues? I feel I'm getting nowhere with my GP as I guess he believes all my ailments is due to my anxiety.

Tomorrow we are going to have a birthday party for our 3 year old, 11 kids and their moms :( "Shields up, we are going in!"

Louise2009
26-10-09, 20:57
Hi Georg,

I think its a bit late for me to reply as your posts were a while ago now, but I just want to let you know that I had a terrible reaction to cipralex and stopped taking it after 3 days. I really felt terrible so I can understand how you felt!

I am glad you have stuck it out though, and I hope you continue to improve.

Louise :)