PDA

View Full Version : OCPD-Obsessive Complusive Personality Disorder

mum2four
13-10-05, 02:18
Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)

In contrast, people with OCPD do not have the same intense obsessions and compulsions as those with OCD. Rather, people with OCPD are perfectionists who tend to lack openness and flexibility in their daily routines, relationships, and expectations. As a result, they have difficulty incorporating new information into their lives and may take a long time to learn new tasks and behaviors. They may have difficulty making decisions. Their thinking tends to be black and white, and they frequently see their way of doing things as the only right way. It can be very difficult for them to express their warm emotions. As a result of their perfectionism, they may be prone to depression, guilt, anxiety, and physical or sexual dysfunction.

In the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, FourthEdition (DSM-IV), OCPD is defined as "a chronic, pervasive pattern of inflexibility and preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and interpersonal and mental control that impedes flexibility, openness, and efficiency."

The disorder begins in early adulthood and is characterized by four or more of the following behaviors:

* Preoccupation with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules, to the extent that the major point of an activity is lost
* Perfectionism that interferes with the completion of tasks
* Excessive devotion to work and productivity (not accounted for by obvious financial need), at the expense of leisure activities and friendships
* Excessive conscientiousness, inflexibility, and scrupulousness about matters of morality, ethics, and values
* Inability to throw out worn or useless items, even when they have no sentimental value
* Reluctance in delegating tasks to others unless they agree exactly with his or her way of doing them
* View of money as something to be hoarded; a tendency to be stingy
* Rigidity and stubbornness

Treatment of OCPD

OCPD is usually treated with individual psychotherapy or counseling that focuses on helping people accept themselves, change inflexible thinking, and get more in touch with their feelings. Unlike OCD, medication is not usually prescribed for people with OCPD, although certain antidepressants, such as SSRIs, may be helpful for some. Hospitalization is rarely needed for people with OCPD, unless extreme stress results in compulsive behaviors that cause harm or lead to immobility.

Although both OCD and OCPD involve obsessive and compulsive behaviors, OCD is a more severe and disabling condition. Most people with OCD and OCPD lead relatively normal lives and have families, friends, and regular jobs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is different to OCD but I was wondering if anyone here has this or feels thay may have this. I'm really begining to feel this is ME BIG TIME.

I find it hard to do a simple a lot of dishes's when thay are not stacked neatly on the sink it really make me feel like I want to throw them and I fear that I might do it and then I might hurt someone when I throw it is real and everyday fear that can often make me avoid the kitchen all toegether just incase and I really hate being in the kitchen with my family cause my mood swing'scan be prety bad in the kitchen and with the added movement and unorganised partner and kids i get really irratated when thay dont do thing the way I do them. This is one of the biggest things I've been trying to deal with since I moved out of home at 16y. I feel real stupid thinking that dishes has that kind of effect on me when it's part of everyone daily life. The kitchen in general has a negative effect on me if it's not running in right way if i dont follow the same kind of pattern to prepare and cook a meal then I often get very get very agitated and frustated with the whole process and if someone is trying to help me I take that frustration out on them on a regualar basis speacial my family. I more withdrawn w

sadie-kiki
13-06-08, 09:13
I do have this, but the part about money doesn't apply to my case so I was diagnosed with 'mild' ocpd.
The only help I get is a talk with a counsellor once in a while and it doesn't do anything :weep: