PDA

View Full Version : Scared into thinking I have meningitis

sMINT
29-08-09, 21:59
I made a post recently about having to go for a jab before I go to uni. And since being told I need one by the uni I have seen loads of articles at how much at risk students are and to make sure you get a jab.

I now think I have meningitis.

My legs have been aching for a few days now (I thought might have been a blood clot, Yes you can see im a hypochondriac lol) but now I think maybe its linked to me having meningitis?

My wrists and ankles have been aching for a few days now too. Along with my lower back and arms. Im in a right panic about this now. Is it meningitis or not, Can I work myself up into thinking I have all the symptoms? I just feel so ill and panicky.

Thanks

pd
29-08-09, 23:00
I've had meningitis fear... It's really scary. My first week at uni I got given a card with all the symptoms on, and there's posters all over the student health centre with them on and I have them memorised lol, students are apparently at risk. Go get the vaccination, I think it protects you from the most dangerous strain.

It really doesn't sound like you have the symptoms of meningitis, I mean, limb and joint pain can be symptoms of it, but they're also symptoms of lots and lots of other things and are most likely to be nothing at all, or something anxiety related. If the pain was a symptom of meningitis and you've had it for days, you would have had other symptoms by now, you would already be very ill. You don't have meningitis.

It's so easy to work yourself up until you think you notice symptoms that you don't have. It's difficult to avoid with something like meningitis because you don't HAVE to google, the symptoms are on cards and posters bloody everywhere!

This will keep popping up over the next few months, especially as we head towards winter, I just try to pay no attention to the awareness campaigns and stuff because I know how easily my mind will convince me that I have the symptoms!

Good luck with this.

nomorepanic
29-08-09, 23:00
The symptoms are:

Fever / vomiting
Severe headache
Stiff neck
Dislike of bright lights
Very sleepy / vacant / difficult to wake
Confused / delirious
Rash
Seizures

You are thinking about it and you don't have it that is for sure.

sMINT
31-08-09, 14:06
Thanks for the reassurance pd and Nicola :)

marcc64
31-08-09, 14:22
God this was my first fear when i was little, cried thinking i had it, must of only been about 7 odd

Always used to examine my skin for rashes.

daisycake
01-09-09, 08:31
I went to my doc two weeks ago and mentioned the meningitis/uni thing, said I was worried about it - she said its not as common as they make out and then said when you cross the road, do you panic that you'll be run over by a bus? So I said no and she said, by rights if you worry about meningitis you should worry about being run over - as there's a higher chance of that happening. Might actually be the most useful thing she's said in ages!

I suppose the meningitis campaing thing is something we'll be subjected to at Uni (I'm off to Uni as well) - just be viligant if you do feel unwell, know the symptoms and trust your instincts - I think you would know if you were that ill:)

It doesn't help that in my doc's surgery there's 4 posters, in most shops there's a poster, at Uni there's posters everywhere - and it was on GMTV this morning! Aarrgh haha!

justbananas
01-09-09, 08:46
ok trust me, you would know if you had meningitis. my brother woke up one morning with fever, stiff neck, and weakness/fatigue which are the classic presenting symptoms. especially the stiff neck part scared me so i totally panicked and forced him to go to the hospital. i was so convinced he had meningitis i called everyone telling them. OF COURSE when he got to the dr's they said, no you don't have meningitis. you have a fever, probably a virus. you are tired from that. you have a stiff neck from sleeping on it wrong or overexertion, and the other symptoms are stress. they sent him home with paracetemol and instructions to rest. i was amazed because i had been so convinced. anyway - the doc said if it was meningitis his neck would be so sore and stiff he'd not be able to touch his chin to his chest, and they'd know straight away during a physical exam. he'd also have had a much more raging fever and a feeling of inability to even walk around or do much at all. basically it's a pretty dramatic onset sickness and most forms of it are not even that serious. please see a doc if you're concerned but just know it's not something that should be plaguing you.

LisaLisa
01-09-09, 13:40
Sounds like you have symptoms of 'being frightened that you have a serious illness'!!

That can cause the aching and ill feeling that you have hun

Lisa
xxx

sMINT
04-09-09, 17:54
Me again.

I have had freezing cold hands and feet all day, Only been able to warm them up with hot water running over them.
Also about an hour or 2 ago I just came over with this almighty tiredness. Really struggling to keep my eyes open, It doesnt feel like my bodies tired though, Just my eyes. I also feel a bit sick and weak.

lajjj
04-09-09, 18:56
i have had these symptoms in the past alot! and i was convinced i was gonna drop down... but please try and relax it is anxeity the sudden tiredness is very scary but your body gets worn out with constant worry and anxiety once u accept it , it will fade away x

Lissy43
04-09-09, 20:21
If you had meningitis you would be ill within hours not over days, and you would not be able to sit and type here thats for sure. Try to relax, you do not have it at all.

Why exactly though are students most at risk?

I have a meningitis fear, it freaks me out so much, ive had the fear 11 years now, although it is better now, it still pops into my head if I am feeling abit low or unwell.

sMINT
05-09-09, 15:00
Thanks for the reassurance again people.

I think what makes students more at risk is the close proximity to other people, Such as the halls where your staying.

I only have this fear becuase of a stupid stupid letter I got the other day saying make sure your vaccinated. Otherwise I wouldn't have known about this and would have put it down to a cold or something :(

Is there anything someone with meningitis couldnt do? Such as a like a little test for me, Something like:

If you had it would I be able to jog on the spot for 10mins?
or walk to the shop?

Thanks