PDA

View Full Version : Aging skin. How do I know whats normal and not think every new thing is Cancer??

Adelle
29-08-09, 23:54
Hi, Im 36 years old and my HA is mainly focused on skin cancer. Im not sure why but I presume its because I know a few people that have had it, there is Melanoma images everywhere and I guess its a cancer I can see. What I want to know is how can I grow old and accept the changes in my skin. Ive had many moles cut out even though doctors have said they were fine ( had to be sure, otherwise I will be checking them a million times a day) and wake up everyday with a terrible fear and scan my body for changes. I know that skin changes as we age as I look at my mums skin and I wonder when did these spots/freckles etc appear and how come she doesnt even worry about it because if that were me Id need to have my arms and legs cut off as Id be beside myself. Im at an age now where I will get age spots and I need to know how to just accept that and not have a panic attack over even a pin dot new freckle. Im driving myself mad. I hate being like this. Is there anyone out there that feels like me. :weep:

Mander
30-08-09, 21:36
I don't panic every day about my moles, but I do get pretty anxious about them on a regular basis. I'm 34, with a number of risk factors for skin cancer, and a LOT of moles. I don't know what your health insurance is like (not sure if everyone on here is in the UK) but when I lived in the US I used to get the GP to refer me to a dermatologist every couple of years to look at all my moles and check them out. Have also recently learned that there is an NHS "mole clinic" once a week at the local hospital. I haven't been yet but apparently you can just turn up and have someone look at something that bothers you.

Of course, that doesn't address the underlying panic.

I'm new here, too, and I'm sorry we are all going though this.

dizzy daisy
03-09-09, 18:27
Hi Im so glad that im not the only one. To be honest I think I have convinced myself I have had every kind of cancer through the years, but skin cancer is bothering me at the moment.

I t started when I was a teenager- I saw a picture of a cancerous mole and decided I had one on my leg. Im a bit different to you in a way as I freeze at the thought of going to the doctor- I havent always been this way used to go all the time, but then gave myself a telling off for being a pest. Anyway I didn't go (the mole had not changed or anything) but I was just obsessed with looking at it an measuring it etc. Anyway now Im worried about a tiny mole Ive had for years on my tummy. I have been monitoring it (I can't believe Im admitting this!) for a few months now and it still remains the same- I have been having some muscular pain in my side and have convinced myself its that!

Also like you I worry if anything new appears even though I know its normal sometimes. I have a tiny weeney pin prick mole that apeared on my tummy last year- I almost collapsed with horror when I discovered it- itsbarely 1mm and again has not changed.

Arrgh I just want to be normal and not worry myself sick.

The reason I haven't been to the doctor is because I have visions of them saying it is cancer and its too bad to treat etc- you know the score.

dizzy daisy:)

OLIVE123
23-09-09, 21:53
I Am So Glad I Am Not Alone, I Also Am Obsessed With Moles, Freckles And Any New Tiny Dots That Appear On My Skin On What I Think Is A Dialy Basis. I Am Constantly Examining Counting And Checking, And Am Convinced I Have Some Form Of Skin Cancer. Every Time I Mention It To The Dr, She Says Well You Are Nearly 40,skin Changes, Looks At Me Like I Am Mad And Sends Me Away.
The Mole Obsession Has Now Progressed Into Thinking That I Have Just About Everything Else Wrong With Me As Well Now....

claire_2910
26-09-09, 18:59
Hi after reading your post i can say i am exactly the same. I went to the docs not so long ago because i have a mole on my belly that looks slightly burnt but hasnt got bigger and doesnt it, but it does....worry me.
they said it was fine but i went back more recently, and now waiting to have an appointment at the hospital.
sometimes i think that its rational to think like this? or do i just worry toooo much? i sometimes get called a hypercondriact, but how do u judge whether or not you need to be concerned?
Hmmmm x

iworryallthetime
31-01-10, 10:04
reviving an old thread , but , you are not alone , im a mole freckle SC worrier ... im v bad at moment , and have sun damage on my face and have noticed a spot , or something right next to or on the blemish so now constant checking to see if any change ,

i went to mole , clinic last oct and had total top to toe high tech scan and saw dermatologist, all was fine . a few weeks later i went back with mole on face worry , the nurse was very nice and had a look all was fine , so last week i called again to see again if i could go and see her to reasure me again , and to my shock she was most unsympathetic and told me i should make appt to see dermatologist to be on safe side ....so i went into total panic all week waiting to see him ...

i went friday just gone , and could sense they were talking about me ,like im the one that came a few months ago and was anx and a bit strange ...sort of thing ..

then i saw him , he was ok , said he thinks its a spot and not SC , i asked him about my sun damage and he gave me some cream to try and told me to come back in 2 months ...
i was in and out in 10 min and £85 lighter in the pocket ....

i cant help but feel still worried ... its still there and i cant stop checking ..
what if its there in 2 months ? what if it is SC ? and hes missdiagnosed it ?
Thats the irrational side talking ...

The rational side says , hes a dermatologist and sees this sort of thing daily so he knows his stuff and if he thought for a min was SC he would not leave it 2 months ..

and so i go on,,

sorry for rant but i like you all hate this way im thinking ..