PDA

View Full Version : bird flu fears

april tones
13-10-05, 20:30
hi, does anyone worry of this? xx

apriltones

nomorepanic
13-10-05, 20:39
Nope - but then I carried on eating beef when we had that scare too.

You have to be in contact with an infected bird to get it.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

3faces
13-10-05, 20:43
This story helps sell newspapers, doesn't it? They love to pick up on something and exaggerate it.

Jem xxx

Peru83
13-10-05, 20:57
Hi apriltones,

Yeah I too did worry about this but do agree that it sells newspapers! I did some research on the web when I heard about it and found a site that explained alot about it. For example do you know that there is only 3 people 'allegedly' to of died from it in the entire world! You have more chance of being hit by lightning. I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

I tried to find that site I had found before but unfortunatly had no luck, I have however found this site instead and hope that it can shed some light on it for you.

http://tahilla.typepad.com/birdflu/

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

april tones
13-10-05, 21:39
hi all, thanks! i have looked at that website and it has made me more scared, saying it will definealty happen one day xx

apriltones

Phill2
13-10-05, 23:45
Yep sure do!
Last time it was SARS . How'd you go then?
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

toffee
14-10-05, 09:14
I am very worried too. I found this web page which might help.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/facts.htm

Phill2
14-10-05, 09:20
Hi Toffee
Thats a much more reassuring link
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

dizzydruid
14-10-05, 11:33
Hi,
I'm worried about it as well. I'm flu phobic anyway, I have dreaded each winter for years in case I get flu, esp since I had my children and now I am a single parent .
At the moment I'm trying to remain as objective as I can be about it but I am quite scared about it
lucy x

seh1980
14-10-05, 11:40
If you have to be in contact with an inected bird to get it, then what are we scared of? How many of us interact with birds?

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

chucklehound
14-10-05, 14:22
I'm quite worried about this too!!

Quirky
14-10-05, 14:55
From what I saw on the news at lunchtime the big worry is that birds (poultry) in this country will get affected through migrating birds who may carry the disease. Even if that were to happen you would currently have to then be working closely with the infected poultry. Even then the risk is still minimal.
This is currently a disease of birds, the big fear is that it could mutate to a human form but this is still an IF, not something that will definitely happen. There is just alot of talk about it as they want to be prepared IF it does ever happen.
Bird flu has actually been about a long time although this may be a new strain. Of course a few people (working VERY closely with the infected birds have got it and died but the figures quoted are for 1997 - 2005 not just recently. More people die every year of normal flu's.
I am a bit flu phobic too as I had real flu 2 years ago, I should have the flu jab as I have asthma but don't because I have ME. I hate being near anyone even with a cold.
I remember when Sars was about, that concerned me as I was working with many colleagues that were visiting infected countries for business.
Try not to worry, I know it's hard.
LJ

april tones
14-10-05, 15:15
hi lj, thanks for that. very reassuring. yes thats the worry about it mutating to humans. love april xx

apriltones

Peru83
14-10-05, 15:23
sorry that my link scared you[:I]

Take Carexx

Claire

april tones
14-10-05, 15:25
know its ok, i knew that any way xxx thanks x

apriltones

sophieunderscore
14-10-05, 16:25
I would be scared of bird flu if i wasn't so confused. Sometimes they seem to be planning for thousands of deaths and then we're told not to worry!

I can't seem to figure out if the biggest risk is actually to humans or birds, it changes constantly!

linjane
14-10-05, 17:02
Hi,
I had to smile when I read the heading for this post, cus I nearly posted about it myself earlier, but then ran out of time.

I am scared of it, like most things, but I have been trying to put it into perspective and I do thing now that the media is scaremongering. Depending on what you listen to there are different stories being told. Lisa, you explained it perfectly. I too, panicked about SARS and the beef thing, so I'm hoping the bird flu will just not be as bad as they are saying.

Linda.xx

april tones
14-10-05, 17:14
i do agree to that. they do scare mongering. its when they say a possibility then you hear it will happen sooner or later. aagh!!!

apriltones

Mable
17-10-05, 00:11
Yep, sure! I bet there are a lot of people worried on this one. It has been the top news story for several days if not weeks now. However, the coverage I think is awful, first they scare us by explaining how catastrophic it could be if mutated with human flu, then try to say don't worry, this is a disease amongst birds! But by then, we're like, my god we're all gonna die in our thousands - this will be a pandemic!!! [Sigh...]

I was told last week that you can catch bird flu by eating an infected bird, don't know if this is true or not. If so, best to be veggie?

I am seeing my doc tomorrow and will ask about having a flu jab, and also for my kids too. This seems to be the current recommendation at least for the vulnerable sections of society.

Mable

bluebottle
17-10-05, 03:59
In my view the government's chief medical officer should be sacked for scare mongering.

Dr Martin Wiselka, consultant in infectious diseases at Leicester Royal Infirmary said when asked about the danger of bird flu, "the honest answer is we don't know."

Spin and fact never go hand in hand. The government are covering themselves, thats all.

--
Blue -
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

Peru83
17-10-05, 07:22
I would just like to say that I have just heard on Radio One news that the 60 people (out of the entire population of the world!) that have died with it in the past have had alot of contact with birds. The doctor who had said this said they had contact with them in their thousands! So has asked us not to worry. He said it is very unlikely that you would catch it through minimal contact.

I also found out from my sis yesturday that their is a cure if it is caught in the first 24 hours so if you feel that you are coming down with the flu get down to your gp asap and get it checked out.

I personally am not too worried about this as I feel it's just like the BSE and SARS scare!

Take Carexx

Claire

april tones
17-10-05, 12:10
this is making me so ill! im having panic attacks after over a year, got bad tum. im scared sick, cant get it out of my head. i look at my son and think please god dont let this happen, i want to see my son grow up! he is only 2. me 24! love april xxx
its the papers, its a possibility but they have headlibnes as it will kill in uk! 50,000!

apriltones

Quirky
17-10-05, 12:11
I saw my gp today for something not related to flu but while there she said I should have the flu jab this year as I have asthma/ME. I never normally have it even though I get asthma. She also said I am potentially at a higher risk if bird flu does ever affect humans as I work in a vets and sometimes come in contact with chickens. She said bird flu would affect me anyone more if they already had normal flu when they came in contact with it. So although the vaccination will not protect against bird flu it will minimise my risk of normal flu. I am so scared of having the flu jab though as with ME I react to many drugs. Better safe than sorry though I guess.

april tones
17-10-05, 12:21
hiya! i have flu jab. got appointment in nov, early! i have fibro, im fine off it! fibro is similar to me xxx does the doctor think it will happen or they just being cautious xxx o scared xxx

apriltones

Peru83
17-10-05, 12:36
do you have to be at risk before you get the flu jab? Cause I have just phoned my GP to see about it and they said that I would have to go private and pay about £36 thats including the prescription price.

Take Carexx

Claire

Quirky
17-10-05, 12:51
Apriltones -They are just being cautious and thinking what would happen in the worst case scenario.

Claire - you have to be at risk to get a flu jab on the NHS e.g chronic heart or lung problems or immune system problems etc. The only way if you are healthy is to get one privately.

Lisa

april tones
17-10-05, 12:53
thanks lisa, im jsut so scared. maybe i should look into getting flu jab private for our son? what does anyone think? xx

apriltones

Quirky
17-10-05, 18:04
Apriltones,
I have copied some information below off the NHS website saying who should be vaccinated against flu. Unless your son falls into an at risk group you will have to pay privately. Maybe you could discuss this with your gp or practice nurse and get their advice on whether to vaccinate him. Normal flu isn't that much of a risk to healthy people. Most of us say we've had flu but very rarely is it really real flu, it's usually something similar or a heavy cold. If you have real flu you can't get out of bed even as you are just too weak. I thought I'd had flu before but it wasn't until I had real flu 2 years ago that I knew the difference.

From NHS direct:

See your GP about the flu jab if you’re 65 or over, or if you have any of these problems (however old you are):

a serious heart or chest complaint, including serious asthma,
serious kidney disease,
diabetes, or
lowered immunity due to disease or treatment such as steroid medication or cancer treatment.
Your GP may also advise you to have the flu jab if you have serious liver disease.

If you’re the parent of a child (over the age of six months) with a long-term condition, speak to your GP about the flu jab. Your child’s condition may get worse if they do catch flu.

If you’re the carer of an elderly or disabled person make sure they’ve had their flu jab. You should also get the jab yourself if their welfare is at risk (i.e. you can’t look after them) if you fall ill. Ask your GP for advice.

nomorepanic
17-10-05, 22:41
4000 people a year in the UK die from the "common" flu - 60 people in the WHOLE world have died from this bird flu. So there are some stats for you.

If you get flu like symptoms a simple blood test can determine which kind of flu it is.

STOP panicking about this and thinking "what if" and "will i" etc. It is doing you no good whatsoever. More people are killed in road accidents every day than have been killed by this.

If you don't keep it in perspective then you will go barmy with worry.

I get offered the flu jab and the pneumonia one FREE every year and I turn it down cos I don't want to suffer the side effects (however mild, if any) of having them.

Please stop worrying cos there are more important things to worry about than this!

It is not an epidemic and I doubt it ever will be cos they will get it under control and you are all worrying yourselves uneccessarily. I would still be more worried about AIDS than this.

Please try to get this into perspective.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

bluebottle
18-10-05, 07:23
Well said Nic.

--
Blue -
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

Peru83
18-10-05, 07:45
I agree with nic, however I do think that it's worth while getting the Flu jab. I searched up the flu jab side effects cause I'm planning on having mine next month. I would personally take on the few side effects it carries than suffer from flu or worse die from it! I have 3 toddlers to look after and can't afford to come down with anything that bad. Right now I have the cold and am struggling.

For those of you that are worrying here are some facts that I got from the web.

TRUE
"People can die from the flu."
Influenza (flu) is a highly infectious disease of the lungs, and it can lead to pneumoniEach year about 114,000 people in the U.S. are hospitalized and about 36,000 people die because of the flu. Most who die are 65 years and older. But children younger than 2 years old are as likely as those over 65 to have to go to the hospital because of the flu.

TRUE
Even if I get a flu shot, I can still get a mild case of the flu.
The vaccine usually protects most people from the flu. Sometimes a person who receives flu vaccine can get the flu, but it will frequently be milder than without the vaccine. Flu vaccine will not protect you from other viruses that sometimes feel like the flu.

FALSE
The side effects are worse than the flu.
The worst side effect you're likely to get with injectable vaccine is a sore arm. The nasal-spray flu vaccine might cause nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat, or cough. The risk of allergic reaction to flu vaccine is far less than the risk of severe complications from flu itself.

TRUE
Not everyone can take a flu shot.
You might not be able to get this protection if you are allergic to eggs (used in making the injectable vaccine), are very sick with a high fever, or have had a severe reaction to the flu vaccine in the past.

FALSE
Only older people need flu vaccine.
Adults and children with conditions like asthma, diabetes, heart disease, and kidney disease need to get flu vaccine. And people who are active and healthy can also benefit from the protection the flu vaccine offers.

FALSE
You must get a flu shot before December.
Flu vaccine can be given before or during the flu season. While the best time to get flu vaccine is October or November, getting vaccinated in December or later can still protect you against the flu.

I hope this helps the peeps debating it.

Take Carexx

Claire

april tones
18-10-05, 08:14
well thinking of it does anyone remember a similar scare in 2003? i had pnd then and there was this fiji flu? there was suppose to be a outbreak but never was. a little girl died near me from it. awful but it wasnt as bad as they said it would get. it faded out xxx thanks nic xxx i really cant help worrying x

apriltones

nomorepanic
18-10-05, 08:16
Claire

Thanks for that.

I am offered it cos I have asthma but I am still wary of getting it done. I appreciate that I should but I am a poof with these sorts of things lol!

Nicola

Quirky
18-10-05, 10:45
I agree with Nic regarding the bird flu, however my gp has told me I need to have the flu vacc as I have asthma and ME. I have always said no before as I was too scared to have it but she thinks it's doubly important this year. I have an appt booked for Nov 4th but am still not sure whether I will go. I am scared of the side effects, there aren't meant to be any but several people I know have had bad side effects from it and I am sensitive to any medication. I have had real flu once though which triggered me getting ME so I don't really want flu again.
Decisions!
LJ

april tones
18-10-05, 11:10
hi, i know i started this post and im a scaredy cat but i have had the flu jab for 4 years. i always feel nervous before it but am fine. i have fibro wchich is similar to me, depression,aches,pains,fatigue and more. dont make me any different xxxx go for it! xx

apriltones

Quirky
18-10-05, 11:13
Thanks Apriltones,
I probably will go for it, we'll see. I'm not scared of the needle or actual injection but having ME makes me sensitive to medications, I can barely take anything and then only if necessary. I also have alot of allergies and don't want a reaction. On top of that my Dad had bad reactions to it along with others I know. I have also read about ME patients having severe relapses after having it. The only way I will know is to try it, I have 2 weeks to decide anyway.
Lisa

Peru83
18-10-05, 16:42
lol nic, I do think that you should go for it! I know easier said than done, but the side effects are few and nothing major. I'm usually wary of things when they say 'May cause hair to fall out', 'May bring you out in a rash' or 'May cause diarrhea', cause I'm the type of unlucky person that would be sat on the toilet, bald and covered in spots![:I]:Dlol!

Take Carexx

Claire

april tones
20-10-05, 11:58
hi all! i am feeling better. i am most distressed by this and even more so as i was feeling fine before, a little low but happy other wise. some of you might know i have had depresssion, then pnd 2003, i have had panic attacks to and have fibromylagia so have been through alot, most of you who understand will know what its like to feel ill again and feel horrible. with my fibro, deprressiona nd anxiety goes hand in hand which is sad but leat im fit and healthy other wise and its not life threatening!!!
thought id telll you bit more about me and why i get so worried.
i have avoided news and papers but asked partner to check the news last night for ay good news, he told me hungary reckon they have a vaccine for human and annimals, i am now feeling more positive and not as negative. thought id tell you all, love april xxxxx thanks

apriltones

boy
22-10-05, 21:34
Someone I kow doing biology did massive research on it and it's not a killer unless your immune system is incredibly weak.

boy
22-10-05, 21:35
To sell papers, exactly.

april tones
23-10-05, 08:48
thanks all again for your positive reassuring advice! i went out fri night, had a good night, dont go out much as have a young son. really enjoeyed it, danced all night and got all my anxietys out, thats what helps me i think, music is my release, any way next morning at parent in laws news flash, bird flu n uk, then papaers later! started me off again, really annoyed me! but my partner checked the news and told me, nothing to worry about it was a parrot from abroad wchich was in quarintine, i can definetly see now how papers have blown it out of proportion!!!! thanks. also i caught a clip of bbc news and sure i heard a microbiologist said if it happends here its not going to suddenly rampage and kill everyone. papers are so horrible sometimes, they destroy lives and minds sometime!!!! love april xxxx

apriltones

Peru83
23-10-05, 17:06
Hi April,

Glad to hear that you had such a good time at your night out [^]:).

Here is a link for you from Skynews this basically gives you the answer to all your questions and might set your mind at ease.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,15410-13450198,00.html

Take Care

Claire

Quirky
24-10-05, 18:17
ha ha very good!

I work in a vets and today we received information about bird flu, how to deal with birds that come in to us sick and how to advise worried people who own birds etc. The guidelines also said that this is still a disease of birds and that you would have to be in contact with an infected birds faeces to even be at a small risk. The worry is that bird flu could mutate with human flu but this hasn't even yet happened in the worst affected countries. Hope that helps some that are worrying still.
Lisa

april tones
24-10-05, 21:57
hi thanks, any positive news in good! thanks. im feeling so much better today! and yesterday too! xxxx

apriltones

Quirky
24-10-05, 22:01
That's great April.
Lisa

april tones
12-04-06, 21:01
update!!! im not scared anymore xx

fibrochat) http://apriltones.proboards54.com