PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel on meds?

errmm
14-10-05, 01:00
Hi,
I've suffered anxiety in one way or another for many many years, sometimes I'm good for a few years sometimes I'm not. Guess what I am at the moment :-)

I've had CBT before now but these days normally the waiting list is horrible and I was thinking of meds.

Now I've never taken meds(hey I don't even drink or smoke) I'm always worried that meds might make me worse getting sideeffects that I couldn't control and then would i have a panic about those and suffer weeks of anxiety suffering.

Then I'm thinking well how 100% free of anxiety will I be.

The reason is this.
My partner is taking the kids to Florida and I'd love to go (the are the perfect age and no expense will be spared) but I don't like flying anymore (claustrophic) so I'll be at home for two weeks on my own. So I've always got the fear that even if I'm 'ok on meds' how can I be sure I won't freak on the plane on a 10 hour journey and there is no 'get out' at that point.

So how do you feel on meds, what's it like do you feel 'normal' or do you really a bit strange, doesn't feeling a bit strange make you anxious?

My partner is about to pay for the hols without me going so please help!

Mike

Phill2
14-10-05, 02:23
Gday
I've been on Lexapro for 5 weeks now and the first couple were a bit rough.
Overall I feel I'm improving - trouble is all meds take a while to kick in properly.
You're right though , the "normal" days do feel a bit strange
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Antipodes
14-10-05, 03:40
Hi,
I can understand how you feel about meds. Some of them have quite undesirable side effects, especially on guys.

There is a med referenced in this forum called Moclobemide (Aurorix). After taking about 9 or 10 meds earlier (over the years) I could never understand why they didn't give me Moclobemide right from the outset. It was brilliant for anxiety and I had zero side effects. We're all different and what works for me might not be the same for you. My anxiety just qwelled with it. Just stopped being a problem. Mind you, I'm a PTSD-er but PTSD is an anxiety disorder. If you have depression aswell, I found Moclobemide did very little for my mood and because of this, I switched to another med (which has kept my anziety at bay even after about 8 weeks.

I can't give you any assurances about how it will help with overcoming the flying bit. But if you're going to try any med, remeber a lot take several weeks to achieve a "therapeutic" effect and the dose rate often has to be ramped up over time.

I hope something works well for you.

sincerely
Antipodes

Daniel
14-10-05, 10:54
Hi

I'm on meds (trifluoperazine) at the moment for it's anxiolytic effects and I look on them as a short-term measure which allows me to work on my anxiety. It allows me to push myself a little bit further week in week out. I've had no noticable side effects except that I sleep like a log now. It took a couple of trips to the GP to get a suitable dosage and 3 or 4 weeks for it to work too.

I can also understand how you feel about meds but without them I would really struggle at times and they have given me that little 'extra' which allows me to live as normal a life as possible at the moment.

I found that the anxiety was feeding the depression and vice-versa. If I stopped in my depression got far worse and I would really struggle to get myself out and about for more than very short periods of time. The trifluoperazine has eased the anxiety and I can function 'normally' which is having a positive effect on my depression.

Maybe it would be worth speaking to your GP about the options?

Hope this helps.

'After the rain comes the sun'

Meg
14-10-05, 15:56
**how can I be sure I won't freak on the plane on a 10 hour journey and there is no 'get out' at that point.**

That goes for anyone on that plane, whether they have issues or not.
Nothing that a few mg of Valium cannot sort out for that short period.

What if you don't freak at all but choose to miss out on a wonderful time due to a 'what if'

What would be in your 'Anxiety Toolbox'? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3938)

Flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3092)
flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1440)
anxious need some reasurance from my friends here (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3918)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Barb
14-10-05, 16:30
I agree with Meg I have been on a plane many times with the help of (diazapem) valium and was fine no nerves at all and they dont make you feel funny just nice and calm, sadly after taking them for years and getting addicted it wouldnt help me now. I say go for it, i went to Florida with the help of Diazapem years ago it was the best holiday of my life and i really enjoyed the flight ( and i was agoraphobic )

Barb xxxxx

LisaS
14-10-05, 17:58
hiya,

ive been on meds for 7 months now and prettymuch anxiety free.. however, for that short time, i totally agree with meg and perhaps get some diazepam just for the short term covering the flight. If you are doing ok without meds theres no point going on them long term if you are just concerned about the flying.

I also recently heard AT LEAST a third of passengers on the plane do not like flying at all, so you wont be alone!!

good luck and let us know what you do,

Lisa
xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

errmm
15-10-05, 14:50
Hi,

Thanks so very much to everyone who's responded.

So when taking diazepam how long does it last for? There are no 'guarantee's I know, but how confident are people about taking this related to anxiety. What I don't want is to be half way through the flight and it wears off(reminds me of Dumbo when he drops the magic feather!)

Is there 'no chance' of having an attack? What about if you take it whilst you're already anxious I presume it brings you down from that right? Are people saying it's cool apart from don't take it often, yeah?

I'm very very cowardly these days related to anxiety so I'd need to be 1000% confident about this idea before I'd think about it.

Earlier this year we booked a short cruise on the P&O aurora with partner and kids. I ended up getting off before it actually left the dock and left my partner and kids on there. That's how cowardly/screwed I am at the moment. So that's why she is going with her family, she does not expect me on this trip currently.

Any other thoughts on how you 'feel' on the drug. Like I say I'm worried I'd get anxious if I felt 'funny' if you know what I mean. Very similar to the way I don't drink because I started to get anxious about feeling 'funny'.

Maybe I'll go the doctors and get some to try and do some things which 100% make me anxious (trains, car wash) and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Mike

Meg
15-10-05, 17:20
Mike ,

*Maybe I'll go the doctors and get some to try and do some things which 100% make me anxious (trains, car wash) and see what happens.*

Nice one

Learning to deal with your panics and anxiety or even learning to dissipate it early on is always preferable as then you have less fears of 'wearing off' etc

CBT will help you with this. If the waiting list is so long maybe you could consider a few sessions privately to get you going.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

errmm
15-10-05, 21:13
Hi,

Yep I've done it privately previously didn't help that time. Apparently well recommend person, I think perhaps I work better in a group type thing where you speaking to others as well.

tygwyn
15-10-05, 21:47
The Diazepam will basically take the edge off the anxiety (quite a lot) if you are already in an anxiety state. If however you really dont want to take meds why don't you look at the herbal route? Myself and a few others on here have Valerian Root which is natures Valium and can be purchased from Holland & Barratt.

I do agree that facing fears before hand would probably be your best step forward. That way if you were to start to feel 'funny' you would be safe in the knowledge that you could stop it from turning into full blown panic.

Hope this helps

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

ANXIETY26
16-10-05, 21:36
Hey Mike,

If you dont go on this holiday then I will be calling around to make sure you do. You never know, you might have a holiday of a life time. Instead of thinking about how much of a dreadful experience it MIGHT be (which it wont), concentrate on the positive things. having the time of your life with the partner and kidz etc. Face the fear and do it anyway. It's the only way. Like a few others have mentioned, take some diazepam with you, that will take the edge of the anxiety for you.

Hope I've managed to post this reply on time and look forward to hearing what a whale of a time you had on your return.

Good Luck!

Peru83
17-10-05, 07:32
Hi Mike,

I'm on Citalopram and have been for 4 months. For the first month or so I was still a bit shaky but that was still an improvement to how I was feeling. Before the meds I couldn't even get up out of bed cause I was convinced I was dying! For the first couple of months my system was getting used to the meds (as doctor was upping the dose) but now I'm feeling the closest to 'normal' in such a long time. I have good and bad days, don't we all! My GP has put me forward for councelling, still waiting for another appointment!

It's totally down to how you feel about meds though mike, discuss this with your GP. Also alot of peeps on here use natural remedies ie St Johns Wart, Rescue Remedie ect. You can discuss that with your GP too.

Good luck and I hope that you find the one to suit you.

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

mazz
17-10-05, 08:58
hi mike , i have the same condition as you and i was petrified to fly . but in june my partner booked a week in jamaica for my 40th. i too thought NO WAY . but he had been so kind to book it i thought (look you either go or you stay at home and upset him) i opted for the first . i went to docs and got given 5mgs of diamzepam and boy did that help . i managed the 11hour flight and had the time of my life . i spent most of the flight floating it was fine . diamzepam really takes the edge off the panic without you feeling out of control. try it and have a great hol. then come back and post all your lovely holiday pics for us ... good luck .mazzx