PDA

View Full Version : Panic or MS?

sedalia
30-08-09, 17:17
I had my first major panic attack over a month ago which left me unable to go out alone. The dizziness and derealization were the worst symptoms. Finally I've been feeling better and last week had no dizzyness and the derealization went. This weekend out of the blue I feel really anxious again and the derealization and lightheadedness are back. My limbs alternate between feeling heavy or not feeling like they belong to me. I am so terrified as I remember reading that dizzyness and feelings of dread are a symptom of MS. I am one of those people who constantly worry about symptoms but avoid doctors rather than seek constant reassurance. I am too scared to go. In my head I realize it's probably anxiety causing this but maybe it is MS. The symptoms of panic and MS seem so similar. What if my first panic attack wasn't actually panic but the first symptoms of MS starting? I'm getting myself in a state now. Would I have other symptoms if it was MS? Surely if it was MS I would have the symptoms all the time, they wouldn't disappear when I was relaxed, like last week? I was doing so well and thought the end was in sight, now I feel like I'm back to square one again.

Blot
30-08-09, 18:09
I can just feel your anxiety & I can see how these thoughts,worries are spinning around in your head.Remember that you had a panic attack & often the after-effect is this feeling of derealisation.The dizziness is related to the anxiety & a definite symptom of panic - I know as I experience the same esp when I have a big PA. The dizziness could be caused by the lack of blood to the brain during a panic attack becasue the adrenalin tells your body to send all your blood to your arms, legs,heart so that you can get ready to "fight or flee"!I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO ACCEPT THAT THESE DREADFUL SYMPTOMS ARE NO MORE THAN AN OVERSENSITIVE MIND & BODY!

XXXXXXX

gtrgrl3369
30-08-09, 18:20
I so agree with Blot. When your adrenaline peaks it goes to where it is needed most and then when the breathing starts to get messed up you feel lightheaded and dizzy. Always remember to take slow deep breathes when this comes. Over breathing can cause a lot ofthe symptoms you are feeling. Do not worry about MS, anxiety mimics a lot of serious illnesses, and once you realize this part it will be easier to take on the panic attacks. Take care...you can do this