PDA

View Full Version : Incapacity Benefit Medical- very anxious

insecureme
31-08-09, 12:23
hello folks

I have a medical examination next week by those ATOS people for the DWP.

It's the first time I've been to one of these and am very anxious indeed.

I suffer from Generalised Anxiety Disorder with Depression.

Has anyone here with an Anxiety problem, how was the medical and what was the outcome.

Please feel free to post good as well as bad experiences, after all forewarned is forarmed as they say.

thanks in adavance

hoping you are all well today.

d

pollyanna
31-08-09, 12:42
HI

i have had a few, the last one was a while ago now ,i have anxiety and depression too, and the last one i had , i was very anxious and had a panic attack while i was there, it all turned out ok, the dr was pleasant enough, and in hindsight although it was distressing for me, the fact that i was very anxious while there, he could see for himself how it all affected me, rather than just having to explain and describe it.
I know how awful and anxiety ridden it is to go to these places, but just be yourself, warts and all.
Hope it goes all right

P x

miss_moose
31-08-09, 19:29
Hello,

I had to go to an Incapacity review, i was agoraphobic so i was a wreck when i got there, i didnt go into the waiting room, i had a panic attack and fell on the floor in the coridoor (which is as far as i would go), a doctor saw this happen and arranged for me to wait in a private room with my mum and they brought me a drink of water.

So before you go, i recomend you ring the place and explain why you are going and how bad your panic attacks are and ask if you can wait in a room on your own instead of the main waiting room (i did this when i had to go to a hoispital too), they are very understanding, some staff will even bump you up the waiting list too if your really bad.

The doctor who saw me have the panic attack was the same one who did the review 10 minutes later and i got rewarded the benefit no problem.

Take a comfort bag with you with a bottle or 2 of water to help you when you panic, some rescue remedy or other meds to help with your panic attacks, puzzle book (and pen) to distract u, and anything else you think may help you.

If you are really that bad, you could ask your doctor to arrange a home medical.
The last time i had my medical i was a complete wreck, my doctor arranged for a home medical and we filled out the form and wrote a 3 page "essay" all about my panic and how it effects me daily, i was so relieved when i got a phonecall from the board saying a doctor had looked at my forms and information and i didnt even have to be seen or spoken to, they just continued my money.

Take care xxx

insecureme
13-09-09, 22:04
thanks for your replies :)

I had my medical and the doctor was very sympathetic, so I should be ok.

I am incredibly anxious tho just in case my benefits are stopped and wish they would send me their decision as soon as possible.

I am in a right state at the moment.

claire123
18-05-12, 15:11
hi just a question really i have suffered for about 4 years with panic attacks im on the strongest meds the docs wont give me anythink else my husband is currently unemployed but they want him to work again and i cant drive bec i have attacks or go shopping and i cant pick my kids up from school he has to do it all bless him[/I] if he went back to work i really dont know how i would cope i didnt realise you can get incapasity benifit for this i dont even know where to start can anyone help please xxx thankyou

london
18-05-12, 15:17
hi just a question really i have suffered for about 4 years with panic attacks im on the strongest meds the docs wont give me anythink else my husband is currently unemployed but they want him to work again and i cant drive bec i have attacks or go shopping and i cant pick my kids up from school he has to do it all bless him[/I] if he went back to work i really dont know how i would cope i didnt realise you can get incapasity benifit for this i dont even know where to start can anyone help please xxx thankyou

incapasity benifit is no more
its esa now
good bless

BobbyDog
18-05-12, 15:24
I stopped claiming a couple of years ago when I went back to work, but before that I was claiming, when I had the interview for Incapacity Benefit, I just answered the questions asked of me and passed. They don't tell you on the day, you have to wait for the letter.
I suffer GAD/SA/depression and sporadic Agorophobia.