PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else scared of the tube?

katheriner
14-10-05, 13:52
Hi, I've been scared of the tube for about 3 years, ever since I got stuck in a tunnel for about 15 minutes. I do still manage to go on it sometimes when I have to, but I still hate it - it's fine when it's moving, it's just the dread that it will stop in the tunnel. I think with me it comes down to a fear of being trapped and alone (I don't much enjoy getting stuck between stations on an overground train, but at least I have mobile reception!) I don't mind the district, circle, hammersmith & city lines as they are not so far underground and I don't feel as trapped, but the deep lines terrify me. I really want to overcome this fear and have got to the stage where I can go from Leyton to Stratford on the Central line (which is deep undergound for about half the distance). I can also manage longer journeys with my boyfriend. I would love to hear from other people with this fear, and especially some coping strategies that have worked for others.
Best wishes,
Kath

Meg
14-10-05, 15:43
Kath,

You are not alone especially recently.

It is a case of persevering and teaching yourself that even if it did stop, you would be ok .

You are not alone, you're probably squashed by others and in time of emergency you would all pull together as was demonstrated.

Distraction works well whilst you're practicing

What would be in your 'Anxiety Toolbox'? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3938)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

katheriner
17-10-05, 13:53
Thanks Meg - when I think about it rationally there is nothing to be scared of. My worries when the train stops in a tunnel are not about terrorists, but about being trapped on the train - I know they would get you out somehow even if the train broke down, but in the past I have heard of people beeing trapped down there for up to an hour. I can't even deal with 5 minutes, especially as the driver never announces what is happening or why the train has stopped, so for all I know it could be stopped for ages.
Still you're right, distraction does help - I always do crosswords or puzzles as I find they hold my attention better than a book.
The fact that there is no mobile reception down there makes it worse as it makes me feel even more trapped and isolated, as if I am very far away from my home and boyfriend.
Still, I've been on the circle line again, and also one stop underground on the central line.