PDA

View Full Version : Sudden tinitus- scared:(

Lissy43
01-09-09, 23:27
Ive had tinitus before but not lasting this long, usually it subsides quickly. I started with pressure and hissing/ringing in my right ear about 15 minutes ago.

I cant sleep, in awake panicking about the pressure and loud noise i can hear:(worried it means something is wrong, so i cant go to bed:(

please someone reassure me its nothing to worry about, anyone else get this?

ikimasu
02-09-09, 00:14
I haven't gotten long lasting tinnitus, but I have had weird stuff go on with my ears. One time I lost like 50% of my hearing in one ear back in college. It ended up just being a lot of wax. I got some of those ear cleaning drops, it all got out, and I could hear fine. Wax can also cause tinnitus, among other things. I wouldn't worry if I were you. Okay, that's a lie - I probably would worry. But I wouldn't have any reason to worry if I were you. :-D

hoppipolla
02-09-09, 01:33
Tinnitus is something I'm fairly familiar with, I used to get it a lot after gigs when I was younger and had it very bad for a few weeks after a very loud gig.

Usually it does subside very quickly. I'm not sure if you know, but it's actually caused by little hairs further down in your ear in the cochlea, which get themselves stuck in an "on" position and thus create a constant sound, instead of just when triggered. Usually therefore, they just gradually find their way back into the right position :) Sometimes however they can stay put, but this is rare and usually needs to be triggered by something such as in my case a very loud gig.

Normally, they should be fine by themselves and will self-correct quite quickly :)

looking4answers
02-09-09, 02:48
Really tinnitus is nothing. Thank God you don't have Pulsative Tinnitus. You hear your heartbeat around the clock. I have had tinnitus for probablly 30 years . It comes and goes and sometimes your mind just tunes it out. Hopefully yours is just temporary and will go away . I have been as fortunate. As far as being dangerous. No..Its not but annoying yes. Take care

Lissy43
02-09-09, 06:47
Thank you all so much, very reassuring.

Lookingforanswers, what has your gp said about tinitus?do you get it like i described? It comes on very sudden like a very loud screach in my ear accompanied by pressiure, which takes sometime to go? Horrible feeling the pressure:(

I was worried it could be linked to sinus trouble as ive been on antibiotics recently but im not snotty or anything now, I felt fine till this last night.

looking4answers
02-09-09, 06:55
My GP never has said what they think it is other than inner ear trouble. They never talk about it to me. Hearing my pulse they say is anxiety but I have since found out it isn't . I think its another tinnitus Ill have to live with. I have horrible ear problems and have all my life. We live a mile and one half above sea level at 8500 ft and the pressures here affect my ears in every way you can imagine and usually just out of nowhere. Take care and hopefully you won't have to deal with yours too much longer. Perhaps its just inner ear trouble. At least you don't live at high altitude. Take care

Lissy43
02-09-09, 07:38
Thanks,

I don't think ive an infection or anything, but my ear today feels a tad blocked and tickly, but I sometimes do get that after tinitus.

The ringing seems to have stopped, just on edge now worrying it is going to happen again, but my ear just doesn't feel right today:blush:

seeker
02-09-09, 08:15
I get tinnitus all the time. sometimes it can be really bad where all the hearing wil go in one ear, except for a very loud ringing noise, which can last for up to an hour. Ive never been to the doc about it as I know it's just tinnitus. Hope this reassures you a bit! it is horrible.

Lissy43
02-09-09, 08:39
thank you, it really is awful.

seeker
02-09-09, 09:38
Just noticed you are a student nurse - are you sure you are in the right profession?! my whole family are nurses,and I just couldn't hack it. Good luck! i suppose you'll always be in the right place for 'emergencies'!

Lissy43
02-09-09, 21:08
My anxiety does not prevent me from being a good nurse, my anxiety does not put my patients at risk.

I worry when I am unwell, or if my family are of course but being in a health environment funnily enough does not phase me.

angiebaby
02-09-09, 21:14
Hi there.
I two have suffered with tinnitus now for about two years, on and off. Unfortunately it is more on than off. It still scares me as it throws me off balance all the time. I too have pulsative tinnitus, not nice either. I find the sudden onset of the 'squealing' and the pressure in the bottom of the ear to be the worst thing, this takes ages to go too. The sudden 'spin' and 'off balance' feeling can correct quite quickly, thank goodness lol.xx

Catalyst
02-09-09, 21:25
I've had pulsatile tinnitus for 4 years now. I expect I'll have it for life, but I can honestly say that you learn to ignore it. I only notice it now and then, even though it's a 24/7 problem.
My dad has ringing tinnitus too & he says he can tune it out now. He often jokes about the irony of Tinnitus Awareness Week... Yeah right, like we want to be aware of it! :unsure:

Lissy43
02-09-09, 22:16
Thank you for your replies.

Angie do you get the pressure lasting for about a day afterwards? once the squeeling in the ear has subsided after a few mins or sometimes up to an hour, I am left with the pressure that makes me feel a tad off.

tasia
02-09-09, 22:25
too. i get it quite alot but i must say the more i think about the noise in my ear the worse it gets...when ive got really bad anxiety..its really bad.can even make me start panic, anxiety attacks...but at the end of the day its a noise and if you dwell on anything in anxiety state it will only make it worse..try not to worry as you can see alot of us have it here...you will be fine and it will ease up after a while xxx

seeker
02-09-09, 22:25
Sorry Aimee,
I wasn't implying that you wouldn't be good at your job or that patients would be at risk. I was only saying if it was me, I would be wracked with hypochondria and a surety that I had picked up some horrible bug at the hospital! Nurses are amazing and so under appreciated and under paid in this country.

Right, am off to try and ignore this constant ringing in my ears!

Lissy43
02-09-09, 22:38
Thank you Seeker.

It can if there is something nasty going around but you deal with it and you are taught how to avoid infections etc... so it doesn't seem to bother me really.

LisaLisa
03-09-09, 10:54
Aimee

Stress causes tinnitus. The whole hair in the ear thing that someone else explained earlier..totally true and as your body hair stands on end when you get a fright...( too much adrenaline and the fight or flight thing) becuase the blood is directed away from the skin surface to the muscles, so too does the little ear hairs too causing noisy ears and tinitus. I have a fuzzy noise in my ears all the time when there are no other noises for me to listen too. I notice this late at night if i nip into the garden for a sneeky ciggarette.... But when i am in the house with tv on and all the noise then it isnt obvious at all!!

If i were you I wouldnt give this symptom anymore attention.

Hope your okay

Lisa
xxxx

Lissy43
03-09-09, 22:11
Thanks Lisa,

It feels ok today, it is the pressure I get with it that I hate, not sure if anyone else gets it. It seems to last a while after.

angiebaby
04-09-09, 19:43
Hi hun, i can honestly say that i have had a horrible day today, pressure in ears all day and has made me feel awful.
I associate my ear problems with other things, thats why it affects me so much.
But i have had trouble with it all day long and i have just tried to carry on with everything as if it isn't there. It is still there now, left one more than the right. It is a horrible feeling and it affects my hearing and my balance.
I know what you are going through hun.xx

Lissy43
04-09-09, 20:18
Thanks Angie,

Oh poor you, I had this the other day, had tinitius sound suddenly then I had pressure for about 24 hours afterwards, so annoying.

I saw my GP today and mentioned it to him, he just said it was pressure related from maybe a cold or something, or it could just be tinitus which is normal really.

peter34uk
04-09-09, 22:31
Dunno if it helps but ive had Tinnitus since July 3rd. No idea why it came on :shrug:

Ive had my ears checked and all clear. Just trying to ignore it but it DOEs GET ON MY NERVES!!!!

Hope it is just stress!!!!!

danjhay
05-09-09, 15:29
sorry to hear your tinnitus is causing you problems. If its any help to you i have gone through hell with tinnitus the ringing came on one day last year and would not go. Doc said is was stress and anxiety and that to try and ignore it. I tried my hardest not to think about it and eventually after a few weeks it subsided and now i get it occasionally. Try not to worry and if you are at all concerned contact your gp as a means of reassurance. good luck