PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding between periods.

Catalyst
02-09-09, 12:18
This is my first post. I've read posts on this site loads & found them really helpful - so thank you! I starting suffering with panic attacks about 7 years ago. I have a classic cancer phobia: Headache = brain tumour, upset tummy = colon cancer, swollen glands = lymphoma etc, you get the idea! Nowadays I recognise the signs of my panic & anxiety and feel I'm coping much better.

My current problem is that on day 14 of my menstrual cycle I started bleeding. It's not spotting - I've had that a couple of times a few years ago - it's more like a normal period. I phoned NHS Direct & they assessed that the bleeding wasn't heavy enough to warrant seeking urgent help & advised me to go to see my own GP when I could. Today is day 4 of the bleeding (still much the same, like a regular period with heavier & lighter times of day). Since this started, I'm noticing discomfort in my pelvic area. I do suffer from IBS though. I am seeing my GP tomorrow morning and am trying to fight off the anxieties that this is the worst case scenario. It seems like a really early period, but a 14 day cycle is impossible isn't it? If it's ovulation time, then surely I wouldn't bleed more than spotting. I'm not sleeping well & getting headaches now from the worry. I'm trying to stay optimistic & positive, but the bleeding is really making that tough...

rebeccad
02-09-09, 12:34
i also sometimes have really wierd things going on with my periods sometimes ill even go 8 weeks without a period, then others ill stop for a few days and start again. It really is hormones go and see your doc and ill bet he will tell you same. I cant believe im advising this but try not to worry, as long as your smears are up to date then there is no need to worry :)

meg86
02-09-09, 12:50
Last year i went through something like this, i was very stressed at the time and 14 days into my cycle i would bleed, i also had stomach and back ache, my friend said she went through something similar which lasted about 3 months.

I went to the nurse who did me some urine samples and said everything seemed fine, and that sometimes these things happen especially when we are under stress. After 3 months its stopped.

I would make an appointment with your nurse to be on the safe side but i dont think its anything to worry about :) x

MoonlightFire
02-09-09, 15:27
Stress can REALLY mess up periods and menstrual cycle...believe me, I know lol. Or it could be break-through bleeding which does happen to a lot of women from time to time. Ovulation would probably only produce a little bit of blood but 2 week menstrual cycles are possible...I think. I have heard so many 'wierd period' stories that I'm willing to believe anything is possible! My Mum used to have a period after every long haul flight she went on...even if she'd only just finished her last period! Then on the other end of the scale - my housemate hasn't had a period for a year, the Dr says it's due to stress. I too have had some very odd things happen to my periods over the years - spotting which scared the hell out of me, breakthrough bleeding, bleeding on ovulation, orange discharge, pelvic discomfort, bleeding after long haul flights, periods which stop and start and irregular periods. I would suggest talking it over with your doctor to set your mind at rest and perhaps a smear if you are due one :)

Hope I've helped a bit. Please try not to worry, lots of women experience problems with their periods and it is usually nothing to worry about. Always best to see you Doc and have it checked though.

Moonlight X

LisaLisa
02-09-09, 15:42
Do you take any anti anxiety drugs like diazepam?

I was taking these for a while and they causes breakthrough bleeding ...something to do with them interupting oestrogen i think

Lisa
xxxx

Catalyst
02-09-09, 19:35
Thanks for encouragement everyone. Have appointment with doc first thing tomorrow, so will see what she says.

Lisa - strangely I was taking diazepam not long ago (for a muscle twitch in my eye of all things!), but I stopped taking it just over a month ago, so not sure if that can still be related?!

barbn
02-09-09, 20:34
Hey, I didn't have a period at all this month and the month before that it was only about 14 days apart....stress and my body going through changes is the culprit.....I went through all the testing everything was fine. Its really not that strange to have a few goofy periods...

Catalyst
03-09-09, 14:40
I saw the doc this morning (the bleeding has now slowed right down). I asked her if it is possible to have a 2 week cycle and she said yes. You have a period 14 days after you ovulate and you CAN ovulate on day 1 of your cycle! This has reassured me somewhat, so I may just have had a weird freakily early period. She also said it could be that it's an extra bleed down to hormones. Either way, I should wait and see if I get my next period in 2 weeks or 4 weeks - either way is fine, but if I continue to get bleeding every 2 weeks I should go back. I think she said hormone medication would be next step.

It all sounds good news, but I just need to take her word for it now & make sure I don't start entertaining the "what if she's wrong" thoughts!

barbn
03-09-09, 17:58
My GP has told me the same thing and I totally belive her! Hormones (like anxiety) can do wacky things to your body! Take it for what it is and leave it at that....just hormones!!:)

hi^^
27-07-16, 21:53
ahh i'm experiencing the same thing now and i've been having panic attacks for the first time in like a year. thank you for making the post, i feel much better reading these posts!:)