PDA

View Full Version : any advice?

nineteen
02-09-09, 16:06
im havin a bit of a bad few days with the whole anxiety thing....ive been trying to tell my self to 'get on with it' kinda thing n trying to keep my mind off it, i was able to go into town, go 2 the supermarket, was at the cinema last nite, i felt the anxiety bcause ov being out n all that, but managed to keep myself calm, i work in a supermarket, and i get sooo anxious but i just try to keep talking to people and this usually works...

but, now that its the end of the summer ( i only started feeling like this again last month, i stoped having these a few years back and nw they have returned) i knw i have to start back college on monday, and im sick to my stomach with worry! im so scared that ile have a panic attack in class or have to run out and embarrass myself that its all i can think about, it used 2 b work was all i worried about but i think im gettin over that a little. maybe because i ave college to worry about more now? i feel silly sometimes because wen i look around me other people dont have a care in the world, n y am i not like that any more? its constant panic about having a panic attack and it is just a viscious circle that i dont know how to break, i dont want med or anything like that im too scared to take it, and to be able to get any therapy or anything my doc said i have to have had panic and anxiety for at least 6months...why? why should anyone have to suffer that long before they can get professional help?

anyway, does anyone else panic about having a panic attack? its the 1st thing i fink about wen i wake up, and the last thing before i manage 2 get to sleep, today i cleaned the house to take my mind off it, it worked for a while but the thoughts just came back, now i feel sick and am scared of having an attack in work 2nite!

AAAAHHHHHH its so awful :( x

JohnLuke300
02-09-09, 16:29
It is very common to fear panic attacks, you are not alone there. But you have to stop the circle of negative thinking. You think you will have a panic attack, this increases your anxiety. You think the panic attack will causes you to lose control, but it won't. It is you thought processes that is causing the problem.
My advice is rather than sit and worry about it, do some activity to distract you away from your anxious thoughts. And if you feel a panic attack coming, rather than fight or fear it say to yourself 'Go on do your worst, see if I give a damn!'. The truth is panic only lasts for minutes if you don't fight it and it has less power to affect you than you realize.

expecto patronum
03-09-09, 00:10
Hi, sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I wish doctors would take younger people's mental health more seriously, the sooner you get help the better, you don't need to be a certain age or have suffered for a certain length of time, that's just ridiculous!! Have you told your parents about your problems? I know you are officially an adult, but I know from experience that people often think they can fob off young people more easily; even now -I am slightly ashamed to say- getting my Dad involved (eg. with Landlord problems) can work wonders. If you went to the doctor with a parent maybe it would help? Or you could switch GPs (there are some nice ones out there). Also I got my therapy through a new government funding scheme called Increased Access to Phychological Services (IAPS), so most places should have more resources now. In the meantime please have a look at Claire Weekes' book, it should help make some sense of the problem, I only wish I had read it when I was younger.

chantelle
03-09-09, 10:06
Hi nineteen..... try to relax about it. It's not easy but the negative anticipation is what is actually hurting you more that anything. When is a panic attack concentrate on your breathing and this will take your mind off it and you will see it for what it is and hopefully panic less and lessen your anxiety about it happening.......in the meantime......

A little hug from me to you
to make you smile when you feel blue
to make you happy when you're sad,
to let you know life ain't so bad.
Now I've given a hug to you,
somehow I feel much better too
hugs are better when they're shared.
Hope you have a good day
Thinking of you....

Chantelle

nineteen
03-09-09, 15:23