PDA

View Full Version : Do Self Help Books Actually Make You Worse?

samtheman
02-09-09, 16:26
I started reading self help books after having my first panic attack some 8 years ago. I actually wonder if they make problems worse rather than better, I never had anxiety/depression/low self esteem/social anxiety until I started reading self help book. They are generally written by 2 types of people, the medical profession and ex sufferers, the problem with the medical profession is its all theory most have 0 life experience, so they tell you in theory what should work, but when you find out it actually doesn’t it leaves you feeling even more helpless, so you move on to another book, this time by someone who has been through it, you get the usual rags to riches story, “Oh I was house bound and now I’m a multi-millionare flying around the world etc” You think this is it, this is the way out, you get your hopes up again only to discover once again you fall flat on your face, and with every failed effort you get even more frustrated/wound up and depressed feeling even more hopeless,

nomorepanic
02-09-09, 16:32
It depends what self help books you are reading I guess.

I always find them of help to be honest.

TopsyTurvy
02-09-09, 21:30
I know what you mean! I don't know about authors becoming millionaires, but I know I'm certainly lining Amazon's pockets with the amount of books I buy.... I think self help is very individual - I've got friends who have recovered and absolutely raved about certain books which, when I've read, haven't helped me at all. However, I find some books really reassuring and helpful. I think what is unhelpful is the scattergun approach to buying I took at the beginning.... now I tend to buy books mostly about applying Buddhist philosophies to your life, rather than 'read this and you'll instantly recover' type books. The other mistake I tend to make is I read books far too literally and get frustrated when I can't do exactly what it says.... I guess that's why we pay for therapy, because it's individualised (erm, don't know if that's a word, but you get what I mean....). One book people seem to agree is good is Claire Weekes' self help for your nerves........ She bangs on about facing, accepting, floating and letting time pass..... Ah, if it were only as easy as that, eh?

tasia
02-09-09, 22:20
For me they deffinately did work..Claire weekes was the person that helped me with my depression...please buy her book she will make you understand what you are going through...ive never been on any type of tablet for my depression or anxiety, my depression has gone now...not saying everyone would be the same but it deffinately worked for me...goodluck xxxx

SarahP
03-09-09, 08:21
I think self-help books can only work if you're willing to do exactly that - help yourself! I was as sceptical as anyone when I started reading Claire Weekes' books, but once I opened my mind and allowed myself to actually take on board was she was saying, it started to make sense!

These people really know what they're talking about (although beware of reading too many books in case of conflicting advice - Dr Weekes is definitely the best I've found) and it may seem a leap of faith to put your trust in their methods, but what have you got to lose??

And no one (especially Dr Weekes!) claims that it is easy to desensitise to anxiety, but it can be done. I'm not there totally yet, but am a million times better than I was.

Hope you can find something that helps you :)

Much love
Sarah

jo61
03-09-09, 09:08
I've bought so many books over the years. Some good (eg Clare weekes) some pretty useless. Make me self monitor too much which isn't good for me. However, one pile is useful for propping open the bedroom door.
:D

teez
03-09-09, 11:54
i keep my claire weekes book by my bed,,,i dont read it all the time ,,but if i get really in a state its useful to remind myself that all this is normal and will pass