PDA

View Full Version : anxiety <- - - - -> confidence

mico
16-01-04, 18:04
Has anyone on this site ever met anyone who has had a serious anxiety dissorder and then went on to cure themselves fully?

I mean fully too, like full of confidence just as they were - or perhaps better than - before their condition started.

I was just wondering because you rarely hear of people like that. Maybe mostly due to the fact that once they are cured they want to forget about it and never feel the need to come back to places like this.

I think it would be interesting and inspirational to hear of people like that.

mico

Meg
16-01-04, 19:06
I guess it depends on what you mean by cure, Mico

I'm leading my previous life and have no limitations. Confidence is not an issue.

That doesn't mean I don't ever get stressed. I do have moments of irrational thinking but it lasts minutes not days and I don't worry about health/life issues anymore.

I do national training and when launching a new course I am aware of anticipatory anxiety but so are my colleagues and it doesn't hinder me anymore.

I will not go back to working 15 hours a day by choice and am more aware of my environment and lifestyle.

Does that answer your question ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

mico
16-01-04, 23:46
Sorry I probably didn't word that post as best as I could of, but then again I never do, not one of my strong points really.

You post here quite a lot Radar, I've read quite a few of your posts and assumed that you were suffering from anxiety just like the rest of us, simply because you post here. Are you saying that you have suffered from anxiety in the past and are now living a 'normal' life?

Obviously people get stressed and have irrational thoughts now and again, it's all part of life isn't it, I'm not expecting to suddenly become immune to all pain and emotion someday. But would you consider yourself to be living with 'average' anxiety levels now?

The reason I started this thread is because I've never really came across anyone who has overcome their anxiety. I believe I can overcome it myself but never seeing anyone else do it starts you asking if it is even possible!

So, basically I'm just really interested in hearing about these stories. I think it could be beneficial to all of us. If you want to say any more Radar feel free, or if anyone else has any interesting stories on the subject, even books or web sites I'd love to hear about them.

mico

uryjm
17-01-04, 16:58
Mico
Having had anxiety for more than twenty years, I'd be tempted to agree that it's really difficult to rid yourself completely of anxiety and panic. (And bloody hell I've tried!) After all, the actions of trying to rid yourself of it remind you of the fact you have it! On the other hand, trying to deal with anxiety helped me grow and develop as a person, it matured me, made me think anbout what I really wanted from life, motivated me to ensure that it "wouldn't hold me back", led me to read some great books that would have otherwise passed me by, pushed me face situations I otherwise might have constructively avoided (without even recognising I was doing it), has prompted me to exercise, eat better and cut down on the booze, kept me from smoking (I really don't need anything to help me think I might be having a heart attack!) I'm less frightened of emotions and feel I understand myself at a deeper level than I otherwise would have.....in my mind, overcoming anxiety is a goal you really should strive for, because even if you never get over it, the act of trying to do so will reward you with personal benefits.

Jim

Meg
17-01-04, 17:58
Yes Mico, I am

Meg

mico
17-01-04, 23:30
I Totally agree with your post Jim, I've came a long way since I was first overcome by anxiety. I have learnt a lot about myself, my thoughts, my feelings, my body. It's given me a whole deeper understanding of life in general, I'm more considerate to people, I can understand others problems more and the list can go on and on and on!

Maybe I'm greedy or I'm just ungrateful for what I've got but I would just love to live my life without feeling afraid everytime I step outside of the front door! ...And that is what I'm going to do!

...Just need a little encouragement that's all, I need to know that it can be done.

Anyway thanks guys

Anymore info out there then post it here!

mico

Laurie28
19-01-04, 15:20
Mico,

A bit of anxiety is 'normal' without it we would put ourselves in constant danger!! It's when the anxiety strats to rule your life you have a problem (in my opinion)

I don't think it is greedy or ungrateful to want to go around being unafraid i think that is natural!!

One step at a time - you'll get there

Love
Lucky

buggy999
20-01-04, 17:27
Mico,
About 3 months ago I suddenly started suffering, constant, terrible anxiety... 24 - 7... it felt like I was in plane diving towards the earth... about to die a horrible death and I was permenantly stuck in the moment before impact (I hope that's an effective way of describing the way I felt)... I just felt constantly terrified. My anxiety was brought about by stress at work, the loss of someone very close to me, deciding to stop smoking cannabis and worrying about my future. BUT, I can now say that I've recovered... COMPLETELY! Of course I still get the butterflies in my stomach and the irregular heart beat from time to time, but then so does everyone! I found the key to getting better is to STOP TRYING TO FIGHT THE WAY YOU FEEL! Stop Judging the way you feel or comparing yourself to the person you were... your still that person, you just need to give yourself time to recover. You need to just accept the way you feel as just being the way you are... sounds hard... is hard!!! Very hard! But the sooner you can start accepting those horrible swings from high to low... the sooner they stop happening. And if you find that you are getting better and then suddenly after a number of good days you have a bad day they try not to let it bother you too much... it's part of getting better.
You can do it, you will do it... just don't push yourself too hard, try and relax and remember anxiety feeds anxiety.
Bugster

Meg
20-01-04, 18:57
Buggy,

Good to hear for you and so pleased to hear your great news ..

How are things at work now ?

Meg

mico
24-01-04, 14:06
Is there any rules about posting the answers to your own questions, well I don't care, I'm going to do it anyway...

There is another post on this forum recommending this website:

www.paniccure.com

This website contains quite a few personal stories of people overcoming their battles with anxiety. I must admit I haven't read them all yet but I read a couple and thought they were quite inspirational.

Just thought I would post the site here too just incase anyone is interested in this post and haven't come across the link on the post it was originally posted on.

And thanks for everyones input on this topic.

mico

mico
24-01-04, 14:09
How many times did I say "post" there? I hope you could understand it! hehe

buggy999
02-02-04, 19:01
I'm good thanks Radar. A lot better. When I look back at how bad I felt it's almost hard to believe. Thanks for your concern! :C)