PDA

View Full Version : Asthma?

angieb
17-10-05, 10:13
Been reading about asthma which can be brought on during excercise or cold weather, strong smells etc (all my panic triggers) - does anyone on here have asthma and does it differ from panic attacks.

I am assuming that during an asthma attack you don't get enough oxygen - therefor can't breathe however during a panic attack you get too much oxygen therefor it feels like you can't breathe? So in theory during a panic attack if your oxygen level is at 100% it can't be asthma - am I correct????

I am surprised that my doctors never suggested or tested for asthma despite me having all the trigger symptoms. Could the oxygen levels in my blood be why?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Quirky
17-10-05, 12:06
Hi Angie,

I have asthma and anxiety and yes it feels very different. It's hard to explain but for me anxiety is trouble breathing in and asthma is trouble breathing out. My asthma nurse and gp said this is correct. The gp would also be able to listen to your chest and tell if you've got asthma, they may be able to hear wheezing when they listen. They can also do simple lung fuction tests like a peak flow (you blow into a tube and it measure how much you breathe out).
I believe oxygen levels would drop during an asthma attack or during any problem with the lungs. When you hyperventilate you can have 100% oxygen levels.
Anxiety is more of a sensation of not being able to breath rather than really not being able to breathe.
Anxiety can trigger asthma slightly so if you have both sometimes it can be hard to tell what's what. I always used to wonder which was causing my symptoms but I can now tell the difference.
I don't know if that helps but I hope it does a bit.

Lisa

angieb
17-10-05, 12:32
Lisa - thank you it does.

My oxygen levels were at 100% both times tested once at the GP's during a panic attack and once at A&E just after an attack.

I did the blow tube test too at teh doctors during an attack and although he wanted me to do it twice I guess he was happy.

Just letting those nagging doubts and thoughts creep back in and starting to believe in the negatives and the "what ifs" again.

Slowly slowly face these new fears and tick them off one by one ...again [Sigh...]

Quirky
17-10-05, 17:19
Hi Angie,

I've had 100% oxygen when panicky too, that's normal.
They normally ask you to do the peak flow (blow tube) two or three times and take an average reading, so it didn't mean anything that you were asked to do it twice that's completely normal procedure.
I understand how you feel about the what if's, it's hard isn't it. Just try and belive that you are ok and that your gp has checked you out. I know it's easier said than done.

Take care,

Lisa

nomorepanic
17-10-05, 22:57
When I get a bit of asthma (I am on inhalers so it is well controlled) I feel as though I can't breathe in not out.

It is completely different to panic when I tend to pant more trying to get more breathe but not gasping like having an asthma attack. I have never ever thought I was suffering from asthma whilst having a panic attack - 2 completely different feelings.

It is easily diagnosed and not usually misdiagnosed as panic.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

angieb
18-10-05, 08:17
Thank you Lisa and Nicola - just a wave of insecurity with the return of two attacks again this week one after exertion and one in the cold section of the supermarket.

Just battling now to try to keep it under control - but will do it, did it for six months so can do it again.

Quirky
18-10-05, 11:05
It's interesting how different asthma can be then. I have been told by several doctors that asthma is trouble breathing out, hence them also measuring peak flow which measures you breathing out. But I guess it affects everyone differently.
I tend to gasp when I have a panic attack, a gp told me that all gasping breaths are anxiety and not asthma. By gasping I mean I feel the need to take a big gaspy deep breath like a huge sigh I suppose.
Mmm I'm confused again now. I think my asthma is under control as my peak flow is excellent, in fact so good it's better than it should be for my age. I take inhalers yet I am still breathless at times, and sometimes get a tight chest although if I take my inhaler and it doesn't improve it usually isn't asthma. My current chest pain is in the diaphram area and in my back (mostly back really) which gp says is muscles but it still makes you feel breathless at times. I am having a lung spirometry test again in a couple of weeks too to check my asthma isn't getting worse.