PDA

View Full Version : I thought I was the only one!!

Laura-Jane
17-10-05, 12:16
Hi there

I was pointed to this website by my mum after I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I have to say it's a relief to find there are others out there experiencing the same thoughts and feelings I thought I was the only one!

My anxiety has come about due to a number of big changes in my life things happening at the same time. This hasn't been helped by the fact that over the last five weeks I seem to have spent more time in bed with headaches and strange vision than anything else, these have now been diagnosed as migraines but it hasn't stopped my mind going into overdrive and thinking I've got a brain tumour!!

I'm having a number of panic attacks a day which is now stopping me from going out, I feel like I need to cry a lot of the time and I'm having problems sleeping due to waking suddenly confused, shaking and muscle spasms. The twitching and shaking makes my mind worse as I convince myself I'm having a fit of some kind!

I've been on medication now for three days, I'm taking Diazepam when I'm really anxious to give relief while my Citalopram takes effect. At the moment I'm feeling more positive, I'm having a couple of side effects from the Citalopram but with the support of my family and friends I'm determined to get through this. :)

Laura xxx

chucklehound
17-10-05, 12:29
Hi Laura-Jane, a big warm welcome to NMP where you will get lots of suppport and make some new friends too.

I (and many other people of this forum) can totally relate to what you are going through at the moment.

I am so sorry that you are suffering from anxiety. I too have thought on many occasions that I have a brain tumour etc

Do you practise any breathing and relaxation? I find that it helps me tremendously.

I am glad that you are starting to think more positive and I really hope that things keep picking up for you.:D

Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat anytime.

Take Great care
Chucklehound
xxxxx

pips
17-10-05, 12:44
Hi Laura,

A BIG warm welcome to the site. I do hope it helps you. Sounds like you are starting to think POSITIVELY already so that's great!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

trac67
17-10-05, 13:10
Hi Laura,
Welcome to the forum, you will make a lot of good friends and get some great advice here. I am on citalopram too and I found they really did turn me around and gave me the boost i needed to be positive again. If you need a chat at all pm me and i will pass on my MSN addy to you.
Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwitten'

Karen
17-10-05, 13:20
Hi Laura

Welcome to the forum. It does help when you realise you are not alone and others have similar fears and symptoms to you.

Have a read of the First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps) and Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms) articles.

The medication can take a few weeks before you notice any benefit and there can be some initial side effects, which usually gradually subside.

Have you considered having some solution-focused therapy, like CBT?

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Meg
17-10-05, 15:23
Welcome Laura and well done to Mum for finding it for you .

*I'm having a number of panic attacks a day which is now stopping me from going out*

Laura- really really try to go out each day even if its for a walk round the block for you and Mum.

Staying in and giving in to the panic attacks will drive you into agoraphobia and the it gets harder.

If you haven't bought any books yet then get one of the Claire Weekes ones,it will explain soo much to you all. You can get it through our reading page.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Tector Gorch
17-10-05, 18:21
Hi Laura,

You're already on the road to recovery now that you know your symptoms are "merely" the result of anxiety - which, as all of us who suffer from it know, can be pretty blooming awful!

Like you I was convinced I had a brain tumour when my panic attacks and all the other weird stuff started happening. Four months later I haven't dropped dead, and I'm slowly getting better - thanks in part to all the great advice and support on this site.

Stay strong.

Tector

tracyp584
17-10-05, 19:21
Hey,

Welcome to the site,

Take care,

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

clickaway
17-10-05, 20:40
Hi Laura,

As you must know by now, there are literally loads of us like you. And only a very small proportion are on this site.

By being here, you are making a positive step to get back to your not-so-old self.

As Meg, says, force yourself out, and take things in small steps.

We all feel lousy with little inclanation to do anything. But we have to face things, and by facing them day after day, it will get easier.

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

nomorepanic
18-10-05, 08:46
Hi Laura

Welcome aboard.

It is hard to believe that you can ever get over this but you can so stick at it ok and try to do a little something every day to push yourself forward.

Good luck and I hope you get some of the answers you have been looking for on here.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

seh1980
18-10-05, 17:33
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

LooksLikeRain
27-10-05, 19:30
hey there Laura!

I thought I was the only one too, and I agree that it's great to finally find people who understand you.

Keep in touch and hang in there.
You're not alone

<3