PDA

View Full Version : New Mum with Anxiety and coming off Citalopram

serendipity
04-09-09, 15:10
Hi everyone

I became a mother for 2nd time in Feb and had never suffered from anxiety in the past. I never felt quite right for a while after having the baby but nobody really took me serious. I had a virus soon after which knocked me for six and put me in bed for almost two weeks and health anxiety worsened fromm here on. Out of the blue about eight weeks later it started to physiclaly take its toll and frightened the life out of me. I had the tight hot fuzzy feeling in my chest and felt the need to gasp for breath with a continuous nagging pain in my chest (just at top of stomach in middle) for weeks. I also had the stomach flipping feeling that never left and waves going through my body.

I was put on citalopram which was awful for the first week but things did improve slowly. Four months on due to raised prolactin I was told I had to come off them and wasn't given a replacement to deal with the anxiety. I thought I was doing ok as I came off them over a week and felt ok. Two weeks later the withdrawl effects hit and were awful. I felt like I had flu and had awful head zaps and stomach cramps and nausea. I am trying to keep the anxiety under control and so far it has not returned physically but mentally I am obsessing about my health again and like others reading about all sorts online. I still feel quite down as I have been like this for a while and am waiting to see and Endocrinologist about my hormones as thyroid also low so maybe this is whats caused the anxiety. I also find that I have become extremely bad tempered since coming off citalopram which then causes my chest and throat to feel tight!!

It would be nice to hear from anyone in same boat or quite simply anyone that can relate to just some of my experiences.

:yahoo:

Purple Fish
04-09-09, 15:19
Hi there and welcome!

I have suffered too with anxiety and I`m now bein gradually weaned off my medication (Prozac). Most of us have felt the same way on here and I have suffered head zaps - and still do occasionally but it`s easier to not get worried about it now as i know it`s down to stress. Which we all feel from time to time. Stay on this site and anything you need to ask will be answered. Everyone`s really good on here!

Take care

Tanya xx :hugs:

Veronica H
04-09-09, 16:39
:welcome: to NMP. This is a friendly place with great advice and support.

Veronica

chantelle
04-09-09, 17:34
Welcome to NMP - we've all been or are where you are but it will get better. Take care.......

A little hug from me to you
to make you smile when you feel blue
to make you happy when you're sad,
to let you know life ain't so bad.
Now I've given a hug to you,
somehow I feel much better too
hugs are better when they're shared.
Hope you have a good day
Thinking of you....

Chantelle

serendipity
04-09-09, 20:10
Thanks guys its nice to know you can talk to people who understand!!

:yesyes:

lorac
04-09-09, 21:24
Hi

Welcome to the site, I think you will find some good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol