PDA

View Full Version : Ambivalence

NatteAsbak
04-09-09, 22:55
Hi guys. I didn't know if I should put this here or under the "medication"-section, but I chose here.

I recently saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), based on our conversations. Truth be told, I have always hade a hard time keeping my thoughts in perspective, organizing my life and handling complications as they came, so it sort of made sense to me. He prescribed me with 10mg motiron (methylphenidate, like Ritalin I believe).

I've been on the med for 1½ weeks now. There has been great improvement in my abillity to concentrate, but my anxiety has grown worse. Reading about the medication online, I learned that it can lead to several serious side-effects (such as depression or psychosis) which made me very nervous. I kept thinking "am I harming myself, but contiously taking this or not..?". Today, I have been very spacy (derealization - which I usually have, but today it's worse than usual), jumpy and I can feel the adrenaline pump through my veins as I'm writing this. A part of me wants to stop taking the med right now (i'm suppose to take 4 pills every 3 hours), incase they're making things worse, but then I'm scared of what the effects might be of that..

I'm have a new appointment with my psychiatrist on wedensday, but I'd like some peace of mind or information. Is there any chance I could seriously harm myself or my mind before then, by keep taking this medication or stopping cold-turkey? Is this my intution or my anxiety telling me what to do?

Any info or help is very appreciated!
Thank you!

suzy-sue
05-09-09, 10:57
Hi ,you shouldnt stop taking this medication abruptly ,as it will cause a very bad withdrawal effect .Your Psych will ask you how you have been on it ,and will change or adapt your dose accordingly .Take care luv Sue x