PDA

View Full Version : Getting 'dressed' to pop to the corner shop

Daniel
17-10-05, 17:45
I seem to find myself getting dressed up even just to go down to the local shop for a newspaper on a morning. My hair has to be done, I must be freshly showered, shoes polished and I must put on some decent clothes and they must be pressed. If I do go in 'scruffs' most of the time the shaking, sweating, blushing and wanting to get out of the shop asap starts.

I know its silly because noone is going to care less whether my shoes are polished or if my shirt is creased. They are going to be too busy working or have enough on their plates with their own shopping!

I have been trying recently to go down the shops with just a t-shirt and some scruffy jeans on. It gets tricky when it gets busy with queues but if I control my breathing and reason with myself the anxiety eases.

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same and if so how are they coping?

'After the rain comes the sun'

desperate
17-10-05, 18:04
Sounds a bit like you want to maybe perform for people?

I too am a bit like that....i don't like going out looking 'rough' but maybe not to the same extent as you.

Do u think maybe it just makes you feel better about yourself?

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

Meg
17-10-05, 18:24
Do you think its possible that you're dressing up so even if you feel really shaky and not in control on the inside you know you still look smart and in control on the outside ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Daniel
17-10-05, 18:31
Not so much perform, more I just don't wish to looked down upon or criticised. I know I'm applying a negative mental filter as most people don't get primped and preened to collect a paper and a pint of milk at 7 in the morning. 99% of the people I meet are still half asleep anyway! I guess old habits die hard.

Yes it makes me feel better about myself and gives me more confidence.

Daniel
17-10-05, 18:39
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Do you think its possible that you're dressing up so even if you feel really shaky and not in control on the inside you know you still look smart and in control on the outside ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 17 October 2005 : 18:24:05</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Perhaps Meg yes, from my experience in retail if someone is dressed smartly they generally draw a lot less attention to themselves. Perhaps it's me trying to give the outside world the impression of 'normalcy'.

I hardly think that would work, not with my taste in shirts. :D

desperate
17-10-05, 19:00
I think you have solved it Dan.

I always feel the need when out to give like 100% to be funny etc.

Even if i'm having the worst day ever!

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!