PDA

View Full Version : Hi,guys! Newbie alert

BCire
18-01-04, 23:25
Hi my name is Briain and I'm a 19-year old student from Ireland.I've been suffering from anxiety and depression for about 3 years.I've been mainly treated by psychiatrists and have been on a number of anti-depressants and sedatives.I'm looking at changing my self-perception and thought problems by using cognitive behavioural therapy.This site has been enormously useful for specific information about panic attacks.

Thanks for reading.See ya

Meg
18-01-04, 23:41
Hwy Briain,

Welcome to the site and I'm glad you've already had a good hunt about and have found it helpful.

If you have any specific questions do post ..

Good luck with your CBT.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

BCire
18-01-04, 23:49
Thanks for the quick response Radar, I appreciate the support.I find it extremely difficult to interact with people socially mainly due to social phobia and a stammer.Interacting on this message board (and others) is something of a compromise for me because I find it very tough to discuss my symptoms with anyone even my family.Do you know of any books which are of particular use in the area of CBT that might be particularly suited to someone with an obsessional thought problem?

Buby
19-01-04, 01:39
hello Briain.

welocme to out fear family and hope you enjoy talking to all of us.

I have lots of fears and coulnt open up but when youve been here for a while you can open up to anything.

keep posting hugs Rachel xx

Laurie28
19-01-04, 15:08
Hiya Brian,

Welcome to the site!!!

I have a real problem speaking to my family/friends about my 'anxiety' as even as I explain to them it sounds 'INSANE' The good thing about this board is that we really do understand as we have all been there or are 'ther' right now.

Lucky

Meg
19-01-04, 15:27
Hi Briain,

There are lots . It depends where you are in recovery which I recommend ie still very overwhelmed and not concentrating much or ready to get stuck in..

The obsessional thought process is pretty standard for anxious people, has this moved on to rituals or true obsessive behaviour ?

To try to address your issues of social phobia is a powerful way forward for anxiety and learning to 'be yourself' on these totally anonymous message boards and chat rooms has been a real turning point for many. You may like to consider that option a bit more as well as working on yourself by yourself.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stimpy
19-01-04, 22:07
Hi Brian

Nice to meet you

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric