PDA

View Full Version : might help you

Mamfa85
05-09-09, 19:41
Hi everyone i dont know if this will help anyone but i write a panic diary ,my feelings,if i am stressed,my symptoms and it really helps me.I know this probely sounds daft but i believe it does help i have noticed patterns in my attacks and also i look back at a symptom or write a way i helped myself last time.Hope it helps you tc xx

krog
05-09-09, 19:54
Hi there.

I tend to do something very similar.

Although I do not keep a full time diary, if I am in the middle of a very anxious period that I just cant shake off, I do write down my feelings.
This has the dual effect of initially creating a very good distraction to my anxious mind and then also provides a valuable tool to map out the similar symptoms that I suffer when in the middle of an anxiety attack.

In the long term this allows me to become less afraid of those symptoms and more able to cope and hence lessen the effect that the attack has on me.

Cheers,
krog.

Blot
05-09-09, 19:59
Hi there, I too write a diary daily & I focus on the things I have been blessed with - it is a gratitude diary. I am & have been in the throes of anxiety & panic for the past 8 months ( have suffered from panic disorder for 9 years).As you know this condition tends to diminish the joy in one's life so I find that documenting all the things I am grateful for makes me realise how fortunate & blessed I am.

teez
05-09-09, 20:21
im on diary number dunno,,,but yup it really helps as when i look back at some of the really bad times makes me realise just how far ive come,,lol

jbyrd
05-09-09, 20:25
Same here. I keep 2 diaries - one is a calendar with about 5 lines to write on. This one I tell briefly how I'm feeling, what I've accomplished, quick stuff. When I'm having a rough time, I use my journal and spill it all. I think you're right, it does seem to help getting it out. Today I looked through some old journals to remind myself that I've been in bad places before and have survived. It was helpful and depressing at the same time!

Mamfa85
05-09-09, 22:09
It really does help and im glad it helps you all aswell xx

distorted reality
11-09-09, 21:00
I did this and it didn't help me one bit. I found it just kept anxiety fresh in my mind and I found myself obsessing and looking for my next symptom to write down.

It was only when I looked back after stopping writing that I realised my time writing and ruminating had actually contibuted to my anxiety symptoms.

Not to shoot anyone down. Just to say it didn't work for me.