PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Over Breathing Problems

joshuaainsworth
05-09-09, 23:25
Hello, I'm a new member, been lurking for some time though.

A couple of months ago I developed a rather nasty flu could have been that swine flu, that turned into bacterial pneumonia, during which I had a nasty 'attack' where I couldn't breath and was bringing up a lot of phlegm which I believe had developed over night and settled while I was lying down for a long period of time, the attack lasted about 10 minutes before I could finally breathe some what properly again, (it felt like drowning) after that I got anti-biotics for the pneumonia and about 5 weeks ago I finished the course and the pneumonia had pretty much gone.

How ever ever since that 'attack' I have anxiety focused on my breathing that has got progressively worse, a constant worry about my breathing is always there at the back of my mind, usually about some illness or disorder I think I've got, some days it's a pulmonary embolism, others it's COPD (I was a 10 - 15 a day smoker for two years) I get symptoms daily that some times last for hours or days; tight chest, slight apnea, air hunger, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, globus hystericus, agitation, restlessness, mood swings and horrible thoughts about choking or suffocating.

I'm at the end of my tether as is my partner who I inflict all my worries on!

I've seen several doctors who have all told me my chest sounds clear and my peak flow is what it should be, all three doctors have diagnosed me with anxiety for which I have diazepam (which I don't really like taking), I was also prescribed a Salamol inhaler for the shortness of breath but I've been tested for asthma today and I don't have it.

I know that my fears are most likely irrational but it's so hard to tell yourself that when these symptoms present themselves!

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Joshua.

Maj
06-09-09, 10:05
Hi Joshua,

Your illness has left you feeling low. Chest infections, etc. are really horrible and make you feel exhaused afterwards. Tight chest, breathing problems are really common with anxiety and the more you worry about them the worse it feels. I've been there! Breathing exercises definitely calm you down. When you relax a bit you won't be as worried about the breathing and you will breath normally. You will ALWAYS get enough breath. I've just had the flu (told probably swine flu) and I know how you feel. Take abdominal breaths in and a slower breath out for a few minutes and you will feel calmer. Do this a few times a day. I hope you feel better soon.

Regards
Myra:)

Utility
06-09-09, 20:46
Hi

I agree with what "myra" has told but would also like to add my personal advice.

I noticed you mention about being prescribed Diazepam but really to keen on taking them. This is understandable, but please bear in mind that in the short term they can be very good in helping to break a cycle of anxiety.

A lot of the symptoms that you describe are ones that I have also experienced and as a result I was convinced that I had some sort of major heart problem. In order to prove to me that it was all anxiety my GP put me on a small dose of Diazepam for one week and it worked.

Have faith in the guidance of you doctor.

joshuaainsworth
06-09-09, 22:52
Thank you for your kind replies, hopefully your right and the Valium will sort me out!

april tones
07-09-09, 20:19
i know how you feel, im going through excactly same latetly! its not nice! i have inhaler, but i was told last yr its prob just allergy, its manly foods irritate it, intolerences, its frightening! i cant go on public transport for long with out feeling i cant breathe x