PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline drowsiness

Panic33
06-09-09, 17:27
I'm on day 10 of taking Sertaline 50mg and in the last two days have felt really drowsy and needing to sleep for a short time in the afternoon (I take first thing in the morning). Has anyone else experienced this? I find it odd that only started to effect me this way in the last couple of days, but in saying that other side effects have calmed down a little in the last couple of days.

Some sites say drowsiness is a common side effect effecting 1 in 10 and some say it could be OD symptoms, as I've only took 50mg per day as prescribed I'm assuming this is just common.

JusJackie
06-09-09, 18:28
Hi I started of on 50mg Sertraline & over a few months my dosage was increased to 150mg. At first they did make me feel drowsy but this soon wore off and I was left with the opposite effect. Unable to sleep. I found myself roaming around the house at all hours unable to sleep, my low mood worsened & I became so tearfull. I am currently seeing my GP & Physciatric Nurse regularly. On Friday it was decided by my GP & CPN that my medication be changed to Mirtazipine. I have only taken 15mg for 2 nights now. I have slept really well, with lifelike dreams, feel drowsy in the day time. As yet I cannot say they have helped my mood. I am so worried about the side effect of weight gain. I am a comfort eater & 4 stone overweight as it is. I dont know if its in my head but I am having a real munchie attack craving chocolate which is not like me as I normally crave savoury things. The worst being crisps. After 2 weeks time I have to increase my dosage to 30mg to be taken at night.

I know this does'nt answer your question & I'm giving you more of an insight into my new med. I just wish there was someone else in my position able to talk about the change from Sertraline to Mirtz.

I wish you well & hope it works for you. You can only stick with it for a few months & see how you go.

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Jackie. :yesyes:

sue.b
06-09-09, 22:11
Hi Panic33

I am on sertraline 150mg at the moment. I have been on 50 mg for the last 13 years, but had to increase my dosage as i have had a reoccurance of Anxiety/Depression.

I do think the increase has contributed to my tiredness along with the anxiety and depression.

I also beleive that the body gets used to the drug as time goes by because previously, once i settled on 50 mg, the drowsyness went.

Did you have increase anxiety at first. Mine went through the roof but has subsided a bit now.

Take care

Sue

Panic33
06-09-09, 22:58
Thank you for your replies. I had increase anxiety and panic attacks from day 1 (very scary), I've had no panic attacks for the last 4 days and my anxiety has gone down to about what it was before I started the Sertaline in the last two days, but both days I've felt drowsy about2/3 o'clock - I take my med at 9am.

Panic33
07-09-09, 20:17
Felt normal all day till around 5pm, now back to anxiety - but defo think the med working. Hoping the normal feeling will last thro the day when been on longer.

sue.b
07-09-09, 20:54
So glad you had some "feeling back to normal" time. As you say probably the ad's starting to kick in.

I have had a fairly good day too with some "normal" time. I notice when i start to get tired the anxiety can creep back in, also worse in the mornings.

Hope you have another good day tomorrow.

Take care

Sue

Panic33
07-09-09, 22:24
Glad you had good day sue. Think it may have been tiredness with me aswell - last two days I've have to lie down mid afternoon, today I couldn't then got tired about 5 then the anxiety came back.
U 2 have a good 1 tomoz :)

KK77
12-09-09, 21:01
How's the sertraline going Panic33?

Panic33
13-09-09, 13:52
Hi Melancholia,

Been alot better (now day 15), but still getting spells of anxiety - not as bad as before tho. I think I need the dosage up'in slightly - going give another week and then see GP I think.

How are you going?

KK77
13-09-09, 18:18
Hi Panic
I'm finally settling on the med l think. l feel well (hyper even!) during the day, but a bit depressed during the night. I'm lucky not to have had a panic attack tho...
I wouldn't up dose till at least 6 weeks - by then you know whether it's working or not. The effective daily dose is 50mg, however everyone's different. Also a higher dose just gives you more side effects and makes it harder to withdraw...
See what your doc says...

Panic33
15-09-09, 16:45
Glad the you feeling better Melancholia,
I had a total norm day yest - but bad again today. Seeing my GP thursday