PDA

View Full Version : Social Phobia

RossCo
18-10-05, 23:06
Does anyone else suffer quite badly with situations like being in a classroom and having to say something or making a presentation? I remember when i could do these things now i find them so terribly hard i just avoid presentations altogether now :( even having to say anything at all in a classroom makes my heart race and i can feel the rush coming over me

Daniel
18-10-05, 23:14
Any kind of speaking in public terrifies me, so I can relate to your post. I just imagine all the people that I'm talking to are sat there naked, as daft as it sounds but it works for me.

Controling my breathing, inhaling through the nose and exhaling slowly through my mouth helps too.

'After the rain comes the sun'

RossCo
19-10-05, 00:54
Thanks daniel i will maybe try to think something like that next weekend when i have to talk in a group :(((((((((((

RossCo
21-10-05, 02:18
Anyone else suffer from these sort of phobias i feel kinda like these situations are never mentioned i can`t see any of the site :(

eeyorelover
21-10-05, 02:34
hi Ross-
check out these links...
[Link removed invalid url]

I hope that it helps.

Sandy
(eeyorelover)

If the world didn't suck... we'd all fall off :)

mum2four
21-10-05, 03:56
I find it real hard to be center of attenstion in a class room envoronment more so than anything els. It take a lot for me to even ask a question let alone do any sort of presentation or speach. If I do manage to ask a question and i feel like I feel like people have responded negatively to me even the word no can set my anxiety in motion once it start's in a class room type invironment I have yet to figure out how to stop with out having to leave the class room. The last time i tryed to go back to school to get a better education I ran out class so many time and after trying to talk to a counciler she just made me even worse. I ended up running out and I walked all the way home in my own world I was in such a state i couldv'e walked infront of car and i wouldn't have known it. I went my partner found me after the school rang him I was so angry there was no way I could go back there. I was 25y old and felt thay had no right ring him but they were proberly covering there but's cause the lady was meant to help me feel better a deal with the issues that started the whole panic attack said the one thing that was bound to me worse. She may not have known that but she should have of had a fair idea that it wouldn't be a good idea to to try to make me see confront the one thing that set me off in the frist place. My panic attack was set off because another student told me that I was angry at the government for giving aboriganal's and single parents more money(that was so not true nor what what i said in class) and what person in there right mind tell another person in a panic state caused by that comment that thay need to basicly deal with cause in a fue year's the government will proberly take away the whole income support network's. That just seem so crazy to me these day's she new what had upset me she new i was suffering depression and she said that and more. I can laugh about these day's and in away i sopose it did it have a slight positive effect on me over time but it was not the safest thing to say to a person in my position at that time. I was looking at posible bankrupsty in depression with anxiety try to get better. I decide school was not the place for me to be at that time but it did help me to figure out that i need to start slowly and not expect to much to soon.

The best advice I can give you is dont push you to hard but to expect more from your self than you think you can give. May try talking in front of a fue 'SAFE' people to start with. by safe I mean some one that you do feel a little uneasy with but not some one that will cause you a so much panic that you might have a huge set back with. Over time as you get more confortable increase thae amout of people you speack in front of. Dose that make sence to you. I hope so.

RossCo
22-10-05, 00:19
Thank you Mum2Four that all makes a lot of sense thanks for your support. My therapist struggled terribly with the same issues and is now a coach of a soccer team although he still gets anxious with things now and then he has conquered a lot of his fears but he told me that if i don`t like something like say working at a checkout or giving presentations then there are LOADS of endless possibilities for me doing something else that doesn`t involve that side of things.

Also thanks LOADS for those links Sandy (eeyorelover) it`s good to know i`m not the only one and hopefully we can find methods to succeed.

boy
24-10-05, 01:31
Bigtime! Only last week I was in a club and this bloke I was chatting to was reassuring me over and over coz he could see how tense I was acting.

rois
01-11-05, 10:35
any social situation and i freak out especially speaking in public, I've to make two presentations in one day at uni and even though it's not until december i'm already petrified! I take my betablockers and rescue remedy and hope for the best

"Ther goes the fear, let it go. You turn around and life's passed you by, you look to those you love to justify...there goes the fear."