PDA

View Full Version : Hospitals

Ireni
07-09-09, 03:48
One word: terrifying. As a child I spent a lot of time in hospitals because of bad croup and I was never worried, although, obviously, I hated being there because of boredom and I wanted to go home. Over the past year, I have had two trips to the hospital (once for me, the other with my mum) and I can honestly say that my fear of hospitals has got a lot worse. Do you think it could have anything to do with my experiences as a child? I now have health anxiety. When I stayed overnight a while ago I felt worse at night, couldn't breathe and needed to sit up in bed. This was exactly what happened when I had croup - worse at night, out of breath, worse when you lie down. Is it just a coincidence?

In my most recent trip, I wasn't even ill and my mum had nothing life-threatening, but I was convinced I was about to collapse, faint, die, have a fit. So much so that the nurse thought I was the one with the illness. :blush: :roflmao: I kept feeling extreme claustrophobia, as though I had to get out of the building. I just had to get out of there.

You have no choice over admission into hospital and so I am now petrified in case I'm ill in the future and need to go there myself. I wouldn't cope. I think I'd rather die of whatever's wrong than enter a hospital again. This has had the affect of making my HA (which I've been struggling for years to overcome) a great deal worse. What on earth can I do about this?

Veronica H
07-09-09, 09:47
:bighug1: memories are so powerful. I had some negative experiences in hospitals as a child and had to stay for six weeks once after I was in a road accident. I know the feelings you describe. If I have to attend an appointment at the hospital I always tell them up front how I am feeling and they have always been very helpful and reassuring. The problem is this is one phobia that we cannot practice getting over until we are on the spot usually, likewise the dentist. I promise that the anticipation is always worse than the event and the tension is mainly because you are trying to hide how you are feeling when you are there. Do not let this phobia stand in the way of your health.

Veronicax