PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Youself

PanicOver!!
07-09-09, 09:53
Hi All

My name is Marc Im in my 40's and a management consultant
I have been suffering from a mild social anxiety for about 10 years
but this summer for some reason it got out of control and i started having 3 or 4 full panic attacks a day mostly health related

Just wanted to share experiences with some like-minded folk

X

bluesparkle
07-09-09, 10:21
hi marc
and welcome to nmp :welcome:
you will get loads of support on here and everyone understands...
i dont know why it comes back again but it does... but it does go again too!
recently my panic attacks have been worse...
there is loads of advice have a good look around...
rach
x

pollyanna
07-09-09, 10:50
Hi marc and :welcome: to the family.

There is loads of support here, , sharing stories, experiences, giving and recieving advice or just airing our thoughts, and the best bit.. all with people who dont judge us and know how we feel.

best wishes

P x

Blot
07-09-09, 10:55
Hi Marc, wlecome to NMP - so soryy that you are struggling at the mo

xxx

teez
07-09-09, 11:16
hiya,,hope you settle in ok,,we are all here to help you feel at home,,:D

PanicOver!!
07-09-09, 11:18
Thanks All

Nice to have some people who know exactly how it feels

Marc

Worried Mum
07-09-09, 15:33
Hello Everyone my name is Linda.
Im new here and dont know how to start a thread so i will put general question here.
I have been a panic attack sufferer in the past and had a nervous breakdown. I am 'over it' now and back to normal as far as I know.
The problem I have isnt me, it's my 21 year old son.
He is having Morbid thoughts and is worried that he is going crazy and worst of all might 'do something to himself' because his mind might snap!
He is a rugby player and he works as a builder.
This happened to him about 4 years ago and he recovered. But it has come back again recently and he has changed, is quiet and obviously hurting inside because he cant see an end to these horrible thoughts.
We have been to the Doctors and he said that he has to strenthen his brain the same as his strong body..hmmm.. Good advice but as you all know it's better said than done.
I am trying my very best to support my son by talking him through these moods and he says that he feels better and 'safe' when we are together as I try to remember how I felt when I was feeling anxious and feeling safe was a good medicine.
Unfortunately a few years ago he saw a man who had hung himself and that triggered off the first anxiety attack he had. He is afraid that he might lose his mind and do the same thing although he has told me that he definatly wouldn't do such a thing, he is afraid he might 'go mad' and do it because his mind is 'taking over'....
I am worried sick about him and Im hurting inside too because I want to take it away for him... What advice can you give me to help my son please :-)

chantelle
07-09-09, 21:39
Hi Linda

just be there for him. Talk to him and take him to see a doctor. Watch yourself, too. You need to remain strong enough to help him. Look upon all the positives that you both have in your lives - he has recovered before and will do so again.

My son was bullied at grammar school a few years ago at school and ended up seeing a psychiatrist. We have went to hell and back. This year he was doing his GCSEs and had went from an A student to failing everything. The worry spiralled my anxiety into depression from which I am recovering (slowly). In the end he got 2Bs and 4 Cs and got into a local FE College to do a National Diploma in engineering.

He has moved on but 3 years ago he was suicidal - however I feel that I failed him as I wasn't able to be there for him this year - don't let your worry do this to you. He will be ok and you will get through it together. Take care and pm me anytime

Chantelle

SharonDerby
08-09-09, 16:18
Hello there worried Mum,
I think your son is very lucky to have a mum who cares so very much, if it helps i once had an awful fear of going mad/going crazy/mental illness call it what you will i thought i was "going mad" and that i was going to be locked away in an institution, awfull thoughts went through my head everyday, i thought what if i killed myself, what if this what if that, what if i did it and didn't realise what i was doing, even though i didnt want to die.
I was so bad i couldn't walk across a bridge alone incase i jumped off (not wanting too but not realise and do it anyway), i couldn't stand on a train station platform (incase i threw myself in front of a train, again not wanting too) oh the thoughts just went on and on untill i mentioned it one day to a nurse who said why are you letting this ruin your life, if you were "going mad" you wouldn't be able to explain all this to me, because it would all seem normal to you, people with mental illness can't make that sort of distinction only people with very active healthy minds can do that, ok your imagination is working overtime and in turn is making your mind very very tired but that's all, nothing life threatening, she also told me to read peace from nervous suffering and self help for your nerves by Dr Claire weeks, which i did and can say they cured my mental health fear so maybe you could explain same to your son and then get hold of the books, they are available at libraries and to order from here at NMP, altho the one here is a newer version i don't know if it's exactly the same as the old one but it is worth reading them both.
I am not the best at writing replys and i do go on a little but please try to explain to your son that while his mind is so so tired it will dupe him into thinking he is going crazy or his mind will snap, but it won't it will heel it'self if he can get some comfort and respite, try the books they are a revalation for someone like your son.
Take care
Sharon :)