PDA

View Full Version : Not ovarian cancer after all - searching GASTROINTESTINAL possibilities

sueP
07-09-09, 14:46
Hi - a few weeks ago I wrote that I was scared I had ovarian cancer, as I was told I had a complex mass on my ovary (CT scan) and it could be malignant. I was told to cancell my holiday which I did.

I thought I would write to tell you how it turned out. Went to have transvaginal ultrasound and tumour marker tests. All came back clear - no masses on the ovaries - checked by two radiographers. They found two fibroids instead and it seems someone must have misread the CT scan. Had one week of hell, and I don't know how this can have happened. All tumour marker tests were okay.

Although I am obviously hugely relieved, I still have the same symptoms of fullness, can only eat small amounts and only light things, losing weight, lack of appetite. Am going to see my doctor today to get her to refer me to a gastroenterologist, as I haven't seen one yet - had endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT abdomen/pelvis, & barium meal small bowel. They only found mild gastritis and I am not convinced that gastritis could cause these constant symptoms which I have had for over one year.

Thanks to all those who wrote messages of support previously. I do have these sudden moments of anxiety when I think there must be a tumour somewhere! Then I try to get my head straight.
I'll keep searching... All the best, Sue

amandaj
07-09-09, 15:37
hi sue glad its not as bad as you thought but they shouldnt of made that mistake, 2 years ago i had a miscarriage and they came across i had 2 fibroids i hve exactly the same symptoms as you no appetite feeling bloated etc, wonder if thats how fibroids make us feel as i dont really know much about them
amandaxx

sarah jayne
07-09-09, 16:00
Hi, ive had gastrisis and it can cause those symptons. I lost over a stone in 3 weeks and ended up on a drip. It all started from getting food poisoning in cyprus, that was over 3 months ago and im still on medication now, in fact ive been that bad that i started with depression and anxiety again..Hope you feel better soon x

vickimary
07-09-09, 16:07
Hi Sue, i am so pleased to hear your problems are not what they thought. As Amandaj says that kind of mistake shouldn't have happened! I hope you feel better soon and you get the right medical help.
Take care

sueP
08-09-09, 10:59
Hi Amanda,
Thanks for that - gynaecologist did say in his letter that he wasn't sure if some symptoms were being caused by the fibroids, so it's interesting to hear that you had these symptoms - maybe there is a connection.
Thanks for your response.
Sue

sueP
08-09-09, 11:08
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your input - you went through a lot, and I have wondered myself if I would end up on a drip if my inability to eat got so bad.

It does help to know that other people have experienced the same and that it could just be down to gastritis, although apparently mild. The bowel consultant thought no, but gynaecologist thinks could be. Tomorrow I have an appointment with a gastro-enterologist and am hoping finally to get an answer, as eating is difficult - especially on holiday or going out for meals.

I can understand the depression and anxiety as eating is a fundamental necessity and also a pleasure, so every day when it's a trial or you don't eat, it gets you down. I hope you will feel better soon. I'd be interested to know if the medication is for the gastritis and what it is as I have not yet been given anything for this.
Best wishes, anyway,
Sue XX

sueP
08-09-09, 11:12
Thanks, Vicky - I'm glad they didn't get it the other way around and tell me something was okay when it wasn't! At least I've had lots of tests and as I am 45 and never had any of them before, it's put my mind to rest (somewhat!) and I've found out what I do have which doesn't appear serious, although the eating issues really do seem that way sometimes!
Regards, Sue

amandaj
08-09-09, 11:31
not eating is awful it makes you feel like something is really wrong but its not

teez
08-09-09, 11:41
hiya sue,,ive had a fibroid and in typical theresa mode it was a biggy,,7lbs,,called sid lol,,,before i was diagnosed i spent the longest 18 months,,of my life,,,the pain was so bad,,i was living on painkillers,,spent ninty per cent of my time in bed,,if i stood up,,id promptly vomit, and food went straight through me,,so yes it can do some strange things,,,mine was all resolved with a full hystarectomy best thing ive ever had done,,changed my life,,you put on weight not so good,,,but i went from a lady who spent ten years in the house ,,,to a lady who they couldnt keep in ,,dunno what the connection was ,,,but i was grateful lol,,back to being aggie now but its just a glitch it will pass,,im so pleased your ok,,have a celibrate,,chocolates ,bubblebath and wine :D

LisaLisa
08-09-09, 15:08
Hi Suep

Im so glad to hear that they did a make a mistake if you know what i mean!! Just a pity you had to go through any of it.

Was just thinking that if all gastro tests are clear.. could be stress and anxiety symptoms.

Hope your a little more relaxed since your fibroid news.

Lisa
xxx

sueP
09-09-09, 17:13
Hi Teez - that's an amazing story - the fact that the fibroid affected you so badly is surprising. Today I went to see a gastroenterologist (paid privately in the end to get a quick appointment). He has PhD - the lot, but ended up scratching his head about my case! He decided to do a "capsule endoscopy" as apparently you can see the small bowel much more clearly than with a barium meal. Said this would really be the final test I could have. He still didn't think that gastritis would cause my symptoms, but Sarah Jayne had gastritis with similar symptoms, so perhaps it's a point people do disagree on. He was concerned about the weight loss, but then, as I explained, my calorific intake has lessened, as I eat more salads and light foods now. I must stop obsessing about it, but it's difficult when all my trousers are hanging off me! Anyhow, back to you and it's good to know that having had your hysterectomy you are having a good time and feeling well again. Thanks for your story - it all helps.
All the best, Sue.

sueP
09-09-09, 17:31
Hi Lisa,
A valid point, and in fact my husband thinks it is down to stress and anxiety. We have had three stressful years, with the death of his father in Sep 06, my mother in May 07, husband's redundancy in June 08, my job which can be frustrating and stressful, plus the thing that scares me most - my husband has hepatitis C with fibrosis at stage 3-4. If anyone knows about this they will know that the beginning of cirrhosis is not far away (5 years consultant says), then it's liver transplant time after that. He is currently on 18 months chemotherapy treatment (re-treated as the standard 6 months treatment didn't work the first time). This is to try to clear the virus, or at least slow the progression of the hepatitis, which slowly scars the liver. So basically we had two shocks last year within a short time - his job of 16 years finishing and the biopsy which said that his hep c had progressed from stage 1 to stage 3-4. We left that consulting room stunned - like I did when I thought I had the ovarian tumour. Deep down I feel terribly anxious about the future - that his treatment won't work, or that he will get liver cancer which can happen when more fibrosis occurs.
Interestingly the Gastroenterologist when I asked him did agree that stress and anxiety could cause gastro problems.

I will have to look in other directions to try and deal with life better and cope with these things e.g. try meditation, healing etc. At least I feel I'm doing the right thing with having the tests to rule out disease etc.
We have to live day by day and try to keep positive, but I am afraid sometimes I think negatively when the fear comes up. I know what I should do and that is be strong and positive!! I am sure I have rambled on a lot to you, so I'll sign off but thank you for your message.
Sue XX