PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

jonny582
07-09-09, 15:39
Hey everyone,

So thought i would join this site, hoping that sharing with other people will aid my recovery. I have been off work now for 2 months with anxiety. it started off gradually, i stopped going on nights out and just literally went out to work. until it started to get worse and i had a bad attack which resulted in an ambulance being called.

I think it has manifested now to social anxiety as i get an attack every time i interact with people to the point where i don't see my friends now. My problem is that before the event, whether it be going to the doctors or a friedn visiting, i worry about having an attack and having to run away, so by the time i get round to it, i am already in a stressed state. I am on a three month waiting list for cbt:( so I have started seeing a hypno therapist type dude but unfortunalty by the time i arrive there i have already started having an attack, i manage to get through the session but i feel rubbish for the rest of the day and part of the following day. He has taught me some breathing techniques which have helped to some degree, i can now go to a country cafe with my parents, admittedly only for about half an hour but its progress. I just need to get past this fear of having an attack, as i think, once i have conquered this i will well be on the way to recovery.

So who has the magic answer then:)

Jonny

pinktart2009
07-09-09, 16:51
welcome johhny. you will find lots of people suffering the same probs as yourself here on this site, im glad i joned, people here understand..i have just been out and had an attack, scary, but im learning to control the severity of them with relaxation CDs by paul mckenna and Reiki healing, i do also take a bets blocker called bisoprolol, which is for the ectopics, i think thats what started the anx today,, hope you can find a bit of help here.

PanicOver!!
07-09-09, 17:08
Hi Johnny

Been there
You are definately not alone and you have already started to beat it by trying CBT, When i went for my first session i was in a propper state and nearly did not go but bit by bit i am tip toeing back in to the world
You have already made the big step so keep going

Best wishes

Marc

Veronica H
07-09-09, 17:42
:welcome: Johnny. You are correct in thinking that fear is keeping this cycle going. It is very hard to accept that we are doing this to ourselves. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'self help for your nerves', published by Thorsons. This is available from the NMP Shop. Her work can also be downloaded free to your MP3 from the shop. I can't recommend this enough, as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. This will get better.

Veronica

jonny582
07-09-09, 19:25
Thanks guys for your warm welcome and advice. I have my second hypnotherapy session tomorrow so hopefully that will go well and i won't get too anxious before the session. I have also started the easy calm programme, so hopfully that will help too.

SharonDerby
08-09-09, 16:26
Hiya Jonny and welcome.
I think your doing all the right things for yourself right now, give things time to work and slowly slowly catchy monkey you will get better :)
i also recomend the book mentioned above it saved my life even though i have dark times still it's much easier to cope when you understand what's happening and how to get through it.
Take care
Sharon :)