PDA

View Full Version : How do I get thru a Dentist appt tomorrow?

Tilly
19-01-04, 15:49
Hi

I havent been to a dentist for approx 6 years. I have to go tomorrow as Ive been in agony for a week. I dont think I have a phobia, always coped ok in the past. But Im really dreading it. The drilling etc I can handle, but thinking I may have a full blown panic attack in the chair is really playing on my mind. I have some Valium I was prescribed a few months ago for a spasm in my back. Should i take one before I go? Would it help much? Any advice on how to stay calm please?

Tilly x

jonny
19-01-04, 17:01
Hi Tilly,

You have said it yourself "The drilling etc I can handle, but thinking I may have a full blown panic attack in the chair is really playing on my mind"

That is the nature of anxiety, the thoughts and the dread. But more often than not we find the reality of a situation about which we spent so much time dreading is not so bad! I know it is easily said but you should try not to worry about it because it will be fine. When you get in the chair, you won't panic and you will come home pain free.

I have the same problems about many other things. I spend weeks in a state of panic about going here or going there just because i fear a panic attack on the day. It is madness isn't it? I can't even book holidays till the last minute as i spend months agonizing over them and i never arrange to go out for a drink as that to will make me suffer for the days leading up to it.

In my opinion anxiety and panic is more about the build up to an event than the actual event itself. Does that make sense? So if you ask me you will have a terrible night thinking about it tonight but tomorrow once you hit that chair you will ask yourself what all the bother was about!

Jon

Ps. The vallium won't give you any problems and if you really think you need it then take it but as a matter of caution i think you should just mention it to the dentist before he sticks any needles in you.
Let us all know how you got on.

---------------------------------------
I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

mico
19-01-04, 17:11
I think Johnnys post makes a lot of sense, apart from that I would just think about how you will feel afterwards, the pain will be gone, the anxiety will be gone and you'll be-able to sit around being your normal self. If you cancel the appointment then you'll still be anxious until you go the next time.

You could also have words with the dentist, explain that your anxious, maybe he'll be able to give you something, or at least reassure you.

mico

uryjm
19-01-04, 20:33
I'd agree with Mico - let the dentist know how anxious you are, and I'm sure he'll have some good advice on how to cope with it. Anything is better than suffering toothache, which will only get worse if you don't get it seen to.

Jim

stimpy
19-01-04, 21:25
Hi Tilly

I used to be scared to death of the dentist, I wouldn't have a filling without being under sedation first.
When I was expecting my first child, I broke a tooth and had to visit the Dentist.
Because I was pregnant I was told I had to go it awake.
Since then I've been awake everytime.

Jon's right, you probably aren't afraid of the dentist, but you are afraid of the build up to the visit to the dentist.
I would advice lots of slow deep breaths and keep telling yourself it will be over very soon and once this is over the tooth ache will be gone.

Valium will help (Dentist's use 30mg of it to sedate you for treatment).
I also would advise that you talk to your dentist before treatment and tell him what medication you are taking, (and if you have taken valium to calm you down before you go in.) If you are anxious about your treatment, tell the dentist, he or she will be able to give you reassurance.

Good Luck!

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Lottie32
19-01-04, 23:03
Hi Tilly

If you search back to November and look under dentist, then you will discover that I was EXACTLY the same as you. Maybe even worse, I made myself ill for two days, just GOING FOR A CHECK UP.

However, I went, survived, and had to go back a further TWO times to get work done.

You probably WON'T believe this now, but YOU WILL BE OK.

Practice, practice, practice breathing. Use the breathing tommorrow, during the day, in the waiting room, and in the chair. Practice distraction techniques. Imagine furry animals, leaves on trees in the wind, the sea, what ever floats your boat.

Explain to the dentist that you are nervous/about to die/can't breathe, whatever you think you are feeling at the time. He WILL understand and will be sympathetic.

If you have been prescribe medication to deal with panic then by all means take it, but make sure that you inform the dentist, as he may need to use a different anaesthetic to treat you (if applicable).

When I went the first time I convinced myself that I would have a panic attack in the chair, would need to use the loo, and would vomit all over the dentist. I didn't actually manage to do any of the three, no matter how much I tried.

Recently, I have realised that I have made myself worse by always imagining the worst - i.e. that I WILL have a panic attack. Therefore I am much more likely to have one.

Now I have realised that I am doing it I am trying very hard to reverse my thoughts - repeating I AM NOT instead of WHAT IF, or I SHALL.

Honestly, when you have "survived" your ordeal, you really will wonder just what you were "getting wound up about". And this from the woman who didn't sleep for three nights before her first filling in several years!!!

You really CAN do it, just practice breathing, distraction and BEING POSITIVE.

I just kept repeating, I am only going to be in the chair for a maximum of fifteen minutes (I was on all three occassions), and I can hold off any panic which MAY happen for fifteen minutes, if I need to. BUT I won't because I am going to be FINE.

I can honestly say they weren't the most comfortable or relaxed fifteen minutes of my life, but I avoided the acute embarassment of puking on the (hunky) dentists foot. And believe me, if I can do it, so can you.

Good luck tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

Charlie

diana
20-01-04, 00:51
Hiya Tilly,

I agree with all the posts. Sounds like great advice. Like mentioned above, just let the dentist know how anxious you are and if needed he/she can give you what`s called a "COCKTAIL" to calm you down. It just takes the edge off, you won`t care what they do to you LOL.... :) and you will still be awake. However I know you will be fine, you probably won`t even need that. Just stay positive and practice your relaxation techniques. Good Luck Dear. Do post to let us know how you get on.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

Lilith
20-01-04, 15:20
Hi Tilly! I was about to post almost the exact same thing! I have never had a fear of dentists, but since developing panic disorder about 2 years ago I haven't been to the dentist. I used to have a regular checkup every six months. I am terrified that I will have a panic attack in the chair. I am mostly afraid of being trapped in the chair and unable to breathe. (I have a deviated septum which causes me to breathe through my mouth, so dental work has always been a little difficult.) I can take Xanax beforehand, but I'm still afraid to make that appointment.

I can't wait to hear how it went for you!

diana
20-01-04, 15:27
Hiya Lilith,

I see in your post you mention having a "DEVIATED SEPTUM". Can you give more information about that. I also am a mouth breather, have consistantly been told by several people that " do not know how to breathe". This is the only way I know how to breathe, it`s interesting that you wrote that, as I was thinking about how I don`t know how to breathe correctly. Which interfers with me doing the "BREATHING EXERCISES" correctly.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Lilith
20-01-04, 15:50
Hi, Diana! The septum is the cartilage that divides the two nostrils. If it's not in the right place, it can block one or both nostrils. I seem to have a small opening on one side, because I can occasionally take a breath through my nose if I'm really relaxed, and not having any allergies or anything at the moment. I know what you mean about breathing exercises. I can never do them, because they always tell you to breathe through your nose. The only way to fix it is surgery. I have been thinking about doing it for a long time, because as I get older, it seems to cause more and more problems, not the least of which is that it aggravates my panic problems.

Hope that helps!

diana
20-01-04, 18:15
Hi Lilith,

Thanks for the info. This sounds just like me!!!! I know what you mean about aggravating the anxiety/panic, as mine seems to stem from the thought of not being able to breathe. Go figure ey? Now I need to get up enough nerve to get my "SEPTUM" checked out, or rather what`s the use as you say the only cure is surgery so I don`t know about getting the nerve up to do that if that happens to be a problem for me as well. Thanks again though the info. is very helpful. Maybe this is the reason I do not know how to breathe correctly. LOL...... :(

Thanks again,

Diana xxxxx

Meg
21-01-04, 09:18
You can do calming brething through the mouth just as well. Breathe in slowly and let out in a soft whistle movement.
The crucial part is where you breathe from in your abdomen/chest .

Alternate nostril breathing may be too difficult !

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
21-01-04, 18:28
Hiya Meg,

Thanks for the info., I will try that today. As I don`t think I have been doing it correctly this whole time, but have been trying like he** too. LOL..... :). Thanks again.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Lilith
21-01-04, 20:31
I read somewhere that if you're having trouble doing the abdominal breathing, you should do it lying down on your back. Apparently you can't help but breathe right in that position.

diana
22-01-04, 17:18
Hey Lilith,

Thanks for the post, atleast now we have a choice if the other does`nt work LOL...... :).

Take care,

Diana xxxx