PDA

View Full Version : Escitalpram (cipralex)

swat77
08-09-09, 11:24
Hi guys,

Iv been suffering from Anxiety (g.a.d) for about 12mths now, I seeked help after a while as iv had two of my close friends go through it aswell.

My doctor and myself have tryed a few meds, beta blockers (made me very ill), Citalopram (again ill - took them with the beta blockers mind), Mirtazipene (didnt really do much as dont feel i have depression but also seemed to hightend my panic when my dose was upped)

Two weeks ago my doc put me on Buspar (buspirone) to try but they dont seem to being doing much at all so i went back to see him.

He has now put me on cipralex 5mg with the plan of staying on this dose for two weeks then upping the dose to 10mg and so on.

Well reason for my thread is that im looking for advice/comments as i took my tablet last night at 9pm and this morning i feel as if iv got the flu, is this normal?

Any advice/comments are recived with thanks..

:wacko:

reallyfedup
08-09-09, 11:42
I have taken all the tabs you mention except mirtazapine. Escitalopram is a 'cleaner/newer' version of citalopram. Without going into details escit did not suit me and I did have flu like symptoms all the time I took them (which was months) If it goes on beyond a couple of weeks (you might just have a cold )then talk to your doctor. I was increased to 20 mg and at each increase the symptoms got worse. Blocked nose constantly and completely blocked ears being the worst. Only when I got off them did the symptoms/side effects disappear! Listen to what your body tells you. I am now on venlafaxine.

swat77
08-09-09, 12:03
Thanks reallyfedup,

Venlafaxine - is that for Anxiety/panic?

reallyfedup
08-09-09, 12:11
Venlaf is an SNRI. It's been prescribed to me for severe anxiety. It's still early days for me on this med and I still have a lot of anxiety so I take diazepam in the day and sleeping tabs at night too. One of the worst side effects for me of escit was insomnia. watch out for that too hon.:)

anxious elephant999
08-09-09, 12:49
hi ive just gone up from 10mgs of escitalpram to 20 mgs last night and i feel so tired its like a cant stay awake but then when i try to sleep my body jolts and i have anxiety attack ,and i have blocked nose , i also suffer with constant dizziness this is what caused my anxiety and i think these are making it worse but have to give it a bit longer as they can take about 4 weeks at this dose to do anything xx

chantelle
08-09-09, 13:31
Hi Swat77

I take cipralex (1x20mg) and buspirone (3x5mg). I have been on this combination almost 8 months. I thought they wewen't working but went to see my GP today who saw a big improvement and feels I am almost back to my old self - happy days!!!!! I did have slight side-effects on starting them but they went after a couple of weeks. Good luck and take care.

swat77
08-09-09, 14:06
Cheers guys,

just one other question, does it matter what time i take it, i was planning to keep taking mine at 9pm every night?

chantelle
08-09-09, 14:43
Don't think it matters but I take mine at 8am!!!

swat77
08-09-09, 14:55
Hi chantelle,

after taking them at that time do you feel fine allday, reason im taking mine in the night was incase of the side effects...

chantelle
08-09-09, 16:15
Hi, I felt ok - not too much side-effects but took a long time to feel any benefit (4+months). As I said earlier, I thought they weren't working but when went to see my GP today she saw a big improvement and feels I am almost back to my old self. I didn't find the side-effects too bad, except for increased anxiety but that is why I took buspirone too, but others on the site did - suppose others felt they gave them back their life......everyone's different. I suppose if I was to sum them up - subtle is the word I'd use.

swat77
08-09-09, 18:30
Thanks for the comments chantelle.

Are you still taking the buspirone or have you come off that know?

chantelle
08-09-09, 18:45
I am still taking it and will be until I see GP again in 6 weeks time.

swat77
08-09-09, 21:53
Thanks for your help chantelle.

swat77
10-09-09, 23:24
Update - day 5

Well guys so far Day 1-2 was a nightmare, felt lke i had the flu, but the last few days i'v felt a lot calmer, dont kno if it's all in my head, just hope it keeps going this way,, anyone else been ok after the first few days???

swat77
17-09-09, 22:55
Well guys it's been almost two weeks on escitalopram and iv been ok, very little side effects, get my days when i feel a little weak but other than that like i said not to bad. im only on 5mg a day at the mo but got the docs on monday so he might up me to 10mg.

Dee01
18-09-09, 13:24
I think you have to give it a bit more time. The first two weeks I has on it, was a horrible nightmare.

I started on 2.5mg for 3 days and then 5mg for a week and then 7.5mg for a week and then up to 10mg. I found the side effects awful at the start, but it has helped me so much its incredabile.

I've been on them for nearly 6 years (I think, i keep loosing track!!) and was on 20mg for a couple of years. I'm now back down to 5mg and trying (not very well) to quit them altogether.

I needed them for a long time, but I think that now I understand whats wrong with me and I'm not actually dying, i'll be fine off them. Hopefully anyway!

Best of luck to you anyway xx

Tovah
19-09-09, 22:21
The first 3 weeks I was on Lexapro I had the runs something awful, plus I was very tired during the day. Both side effects have gone away. The only S/E I have now is hot flashes but I can deal with those as it's improved my depression. I'm still waiting for it to improve my anxiety more though. Best of luck. Most S/Es do go away.

swat77
19-09-09, 22:26
Thanks Dee01,

Well i went to the docs, and he feels im making progress and has upped me to 10mg!

Im hoping i dont get any side effects thats all!!

peggy27
22-09-09, 10:45
I was told you have to chop and change when you take them, cos I really struggled at night with them. Do they really help with anxiety? I'm unsure if I should try them again.
Px

swat77
22-09-09, 15:46
Hi peggy27,

Well so far so good, i feel a lot more myself and also feel a lot more in control, but still early days i suppose!

icicledreamz
23-09-09, 14:00
Ive been on lexapro for about 4 or 5 months now at 10mg. Its going okay i guess, but not spectacular. I feel like it could be doing more for me, and i pribably should up the dose, but the prescription is just too costly to do that