PDA

View Full Version : Does exersize help with anxiety??

nineteen
08-09-09, 16:48
just wondering how many people have really tried it and thinks it has worked for them?

sue.b
08-09-09, 17:09
It really does work for me. :yesyes:

If my anxiety is high I can notice an improvement almost immediately after finishing a 30 min aerobic workout.

If you haven't excercised for a while or not at all, gradually build up the amount of excercise you take over a period of time.

Take care

Sue

JohnLuke300
08-09-09, 17:13
Exercise helped me greatly with my anxiety and depression. It also was great for my self-esteem and general mood. So highly recommended. :yesyes:

All the best

John

Maddy
08-09-09, 17:52
I would agree with the others, it does help you to feel good about yourself and every little bit we can do helps us along in a more positive way. What have you got to lose?

Utility
08-09-09, 21:23
Hi

Yes it does.

I go running or gym or swimming about 4 times week. Have been doing this for about a year and a half and what a difference it has made.

luke1982
08-09-09, 21:38
I would like to try exercise but im a bit frightened about leaving the house I always think something bads going to happen when im out on the streets/walking in the local woods for example.
Would taking a Valium before going out walking be a idea?

Mr Parfect
08-09-09, 22:06
Absolutely Yes!

Exercise takes the mind off the worries and stresses that it focuses on when inactive.

As documented elsewhere, the byproduct is potentially getting fitter and healthier as a result, which has shown to boost one's mental wellbeing too.

This in turn empowers the person, making them feel more confident.

Rachel_123
09-09-09, 13:03
I would like to try exercise but im a bit frightened about leaving the house I always think something bads going to happen when im out on the streets/walking in the local woods for example.
Would taking a Valium before going out walking be a idea?

Bring your ipod and once your walking and doing a physical thing - you will completely forget about your worries. You dont need medication!

cece
10-09-09, 00:55
I think it helps a lot... But it is symptomatic help and not a long term solution.

mapmaker
10-09-09, 06:45
I tried walking 4 times aweek for my anxiety...but it agravated my IBS after 4 weeks and soon I was having IBS attacks when drained me completely and then I was more anxious after ward. When I walked I felt better. Stupid IBS. I want to get out there and exercise.. it feels good.

luke1982
10-09-09, 09:32
Im gonna try push myself out of the house today and go for a walk in the woods next to my house im going to take my mp3 player and see how i get on im a little bit worried tbh. I dont usually leave the house i need to go into the village to pick up meds at some point too but im really worried about walking the streets

sarah jayne
10-09-09, 09:35
Im going to try this, i'll let you know !! x

june
10-09-09, 14:40
:hugs: i am going to physio to help with hyperventilation - i have been sitting around feeling sorry for myself for a very long time and these are short exercises to get me back on my feet. and to give me confidence to get out and about.
Best wishes
june
:hugs:

ziggy95
10-09-09, 14:45
I am a circus artist, and training really helps me feel better and in control. However, when my heart rate gets really high my physical symptoms (visual weirdness, and lightheadedness, and panic) all seem to set in, I don't know if my rapid heart rate reminds me of a panic attack and it starts to happen or what...but it is REALLY FRUSTRATING and scary

Kabuki
10-09-09, 16:09
I'm with Ziggy. I think that walking helps but if I do anything that increases my heartrate or if it tires me out, then it makes me panicky. I guess it must be that it reminds me of my panic attacks. Plus there was a period when I was actually panic free and after beginning an exercise routine I started having panic attacks again. In reality there were a hundred other reasons why the panic may have come back, but i fixated on it being a result of the exercise.

insecureme
14-09-09, 17:39
I'd say exercise definitely helps, but a couple of points (based on my own experience):

* do it at your own pace, every little helps.

* I got to a place where I was doing loads of exercise and feeling good. Since then I have had a relapse of GAD which has stopped me from doing anything like exercise. I'm not going to let it get me down tho, when I start to feel better I'll slowly start to get there.

kg78
14-09-09, 20:57
I thought that exercise might help so started yesterday with a bike ride with my 5y/o son. Thought I could feel a panic attack coming on as we set off, and actually thought I was going to vomit, but within a minute or so of trying to stay on the bike and not wobble I felt fine, managed to stay out for about 20 minutes, we had great fun and I felt good afterwards.

We went out again tonight and I was ok but pushed it a bit more, got my heart rate up and this evening I am really struggling with my health anxiety, constantly checking that my heartbeat is not irregular or something.

I'm determined to stick at it for a while tho and see how I get on.

I have one very happy little boy that mummy went for 2 bike rides with him so that is a plus anyway!!! :yesyes:

tasia
14-09-09, 21:45
yes deffinately it helps....try it and see...

Tangerine Man
19-09-09, 21:16
Yep, it does for me so I go to the gym 5 days a week to get a natural endorphine high to help through the working day. The only downside is that you need to judge how hard you push yourself, as my therapist says balance in all things is best

tim73
19-09-09, 21:22
Definitely helps. At the very least, during exercise all my problems go away (anxiety and all the aches and pains that I usually have that set the anxiety off).

Bonus is it's healthy.

You burn calories which is great for people who need to lose or control their weight. Better still though, by exercising a fair amount regularly, my blood pressure has reduced dramatically. I'm down at very normal levels now. It was never all that high, but it was pushing top end of normal, and there's family history of high blood pressure so that was a concern.

Only thing is I find is I lose a lot of weight and that has made me worry. Fact is though, I'm just burning more calories than I'm consuming. So bonus is I can increase my intake :D (but still best to not eat crap though).

If you're not used to exercise though, take it easy. Talk to your GP about it for advice. Simple things you can do is just go for little walks. If you have fears of people you can usually find places to walk where there are few people about.

When things were getting really bad I was walking every evening when I could. Could go to a gym, but it's expensive and I don't like the idea of being stuck indoors with lots of sweaty people getting bored. I prefer being out in fresh air and exploring places.

However I do a lot of mountain biking anyway, and ski during winter months.

Keggit
20-09-09, 08:38
Exercising helps me a lot - I run, swim, exercise with weigths, I have recently tried body balance classes. Running is the best, especially if you are fit enough to run for a longer time, it completely calms me down if I feel anxious or tense....plus you will look fitter and healthier and happier and that will help your confidence...depends on the sport as well...it's a good way how to socialize, meet people, find new friends..

alan09344
20-09-09, 10:00
I tried walking 4 times aweek for my anxiety...but it agravated my IBS after 4 weeks and soon I was having IBS attacks when drained me completely and then I was more anxious after ward. When I walked I felt better. Stupid IBS. I want to get out there and exercise.. it feels good.

I dont think walking will help it anyway, i dont think it is enough exercise. I walk to and from my trainstation 5 days a week which amount to 7.4 miles each day. It didnt help me. I recently joined a gym, I do general stuff, weights cardo etc and it helps so much more. I dont think it will cure it, but it certainly helps.

tim73
20-09-09, 14:24
I dont think walking will help it anyway, i dont think it is enough exercise. I walk to and from my trainstation 5 days a week which amount to 7.4 miles each day. It didnt help me. I recently joined a gym, I do general stuff, weights cardo etc and it helps so much more. I dont think it will cure it, but it certainly helps.
Don't know about that. I started walking each evening just doing a few miles loop up the canal tow path and round back to my house. I was suddenly losing weight when normally I'd be pushing it to keep weight off. Wasn't a brisk walk, but it was enough to make me sweat by the time I got home. It's also relaxing but then I've got some nice countryside to walk around only a short distance from my front door.

The depressing thing is the longer nights meaning I can't get out after work.

Maj
20-09-09, 22:06
Without a doubt. I was feeling a bit anxious again recently after a long time and decided not to take the anti-depressants the doctor gave me. Instead I went swimming again and walking and already I feel a lot better. I think it's just about taking some 'time out' for yourself. You may not feel like doing it but afterwards you definitely feel better. It helps you to sleep better too. (I should add that I didn't take a.d.'s this time but took them before and they really helped).
myra x

Wee-Mee
21-09-09, 21:52
If I get into a habit of doing exercise it does elvate my mood and lower my anxiety. It also helps to feel like I have a bit of a routine,and obviously when you are exercising you are eating healthier or else the exercisewould cancel it out so you are getting lots of good nutrients and things too and makes you feel good in general.

Wow..I really need to get back to it actually : o

Dafyddjohndavies
22-09-09, 22:37
Yes definitely, I used to suffer horribly with anxiety, even when exercising and used to have to stop while I was running due to increased anxiety levels. But if you keep at it you eventually get used to running and you can start increasing the length of your runs.

I now run at least 5k, 3-4 times a week and it has a very calming effect on my mood and keeps me in good spirit for the rest of the week. Alcohol is a very bad thing for anxiety though, if you are going to get into exercise then try to avoid eating bad food and drinking alcohol because it makes it really difficult to keep motivated.

Danath
27-09-09, 19:57
Study after study has proved that exercise helps with anxiety and depression as much as if not more than antidepressants when done regularly. It releases endorphins and increases your seratonin level which is what antidepressants also do. you will feel an immediate benefit and can sometiems feel a little euphoric once youve finished exercising though. it has to be cardiovascular exercise for this though, working out with weights won't have the same effect.

as for anxiety being symptomatic and not dealing with it, if you are dealing with the cause of the symptoms, I.E. Improving how much seratonin your brain produces by exercising then you aren't gonig to get the symptoms are you?

exercise is never a bad idea unless you are not in a condition to do it, try discussing an exercise plan with your doctor, and thats part of their jobs, not just seeing you when you're unhealthy, but helping you with plans to KEEP you healthy when you are.

hope this helps.

choley
28-09-09, 08:18
Yes it does help, but there is many different things that do help too. I know with me if that doesnt work right away I am after going with distraction, breathing into a paper bag, sleep, and anything to take my mind off my situation. I realized that there are times that a person may need to let themselve have a panic attack, and work through it. I know it is easy said, but not that easily done. I wake up from panic attakcs and all, but it is like the only way i get through it without not exericising is by working with the issues of it.

dawnt
28-09-09, 19:12
Exercise does help me with my anxiety and depression. I have a horse so I am outside doing heavy work plus riding for a large part of the day. I always feel so much better after being at the yard and riding my horse really blows away the cobwebs. And of course sometimes he scares the pants off me:ohmy:
and then I really know what it feels like to be scared lol:yesyes:

Joellie
30-09-09, 09:10
I struggle to make it up and down the stairs at the moment! Citalopram has just made me weak in the last few days. I normally walk the dog but the last time i did that was monday before i took my first citalopram. And whilst out i had an anxiety attack lol

Mandylou
30-09-09, 13:29
I've been told by my doctor to exercise as it is the best remedy for depression. However, I can't afford to join a gym and for me to do anything would mean driving quite a way as I live very rural. I don't have the inclination to exercise or the energy. It's a vicious circle. Anything I would do I would have to do on my own anyway!:weep:

Meewah
02-10-09, 20:18
I find long and slow works best. Dont do mad heart wrenching work outs my doc says if I do high intensity work outs you risk causing a PA. That is when I started with my first Panic Attack. I was at the gym and was lifting some weights after a cardio workout. I felt a pulling in my chest and pop I thought I was having a Heart attack and I rushed home and then to A&E.

I walked 4 miles a day for a year and I now miss it.

Mee

junie7
03-10-09, 12:15
Am I the only one who finds exercise does not help. I find that when I run or rush around it makes me feel worse. Also lifting anything heavy is not good. I have to take my time doing things and not rush around like I used to.
My mum is more fit and active than me at the moment!

tim73
04-10-09, 12:01
Don't rush into exercising or do too much and if you're rushing around doing things then maybe it's putting you on edge especially if you're rushing to get things done fast.

A regular walk in a park or the country is more likely to help. It did for me. Cycling does also if you're into that kind of thing.

MissChampers
06-10-09, 12:37
Yes it does. I find when I've been for a run I can face anything, but it's only temporary and the next day I can feel terrible very anxious again until I run again.

Maj
06-10-09, 20:35
Yes, definitely, it helps blow the cobwebs away from your anxious mind! I went for a walk on a small part of the West Highland Way on Sunday. I felt really good during and afterwards. It also helps you to sleep a bit better.
Myra:)