PDA

View Full Version : Beta Blockers

kirgray
20-10-05, 08:51
Hi all

Ive been taking beta blockers for about 2 weeks now. X 2 10MG a day. Recently Ive been getting really dizzy spells, palpitations and really tired do you think these are just side effects. Also when the pharmasist gave me my meds he said they may make me breathless (worst thing he could do to tell me this LOL!!) So ive developed that now I think or maybe because hes said it I think ive developed it? I do this a lot!!.

Anybody else on beat blockers?

XKX

katheriner
20-10-05, 09:55
Hi Kirgray,
I'm also taking 2 x 10MG beta blockers daily, and I also found that I had a few dizzy spells, especially when I first started taking them. I've been on them for a few months now, and I don't get the dizziness anymore. I asked my Doctor and he said it was nothing to worry about - he just advised not to get up too quickly from a sitting or lying down position. Also, don't take your tablet right before you will be doing something very active - such as fast walking, although I find it's not a problem for me anymore. I was never warned about breathlessness, and it's never something I noticed as an effect of the pills. I think they can make you a bit breathless if you have asthma, but your Doctor would not have prescribed them for you if you did. Also remember that you are on a low dose of this medicine - some people take much larger doses than that and are fine.
Best of luck!
Kath

katheriner
20-10-05, 09:58
Hi again, I forgot to mention I also felt very tired when I first started taking them too, but I don't really notice it anymore. I get palpitations too but I think these are just a symptom of anxeity.

kirgray
20-10-05, 13:21
Kath Thank you for your reply!.

You have put my mind at ease now!. I will take my time after taking them, because I take one in the morning and run around getting ready for work, then I take one in the evening sometimes before I go out.

Hes prescribed me a low dosage to start with because Im scared of taking meds and its also to try and help my horrible headaches-could I ask do you get head rushes at all? I know a head rush can be anxiety but it just comes on even if Im not worrying-its a really horrible feeling it scares m, its like a really strong tight feeling in my head and then it just goes?. I find it hard to concentrate with it?.

Thanks again Kath Hope you are ok XKX

katheriner
20-10-05, 14:13
Hi again,
Yes I do sometimes get head-rushes - especially if I get up too quickly, but it passes if I sit down and just take it easy for a few minutes. Hope the beta blockers help with your headaches - I heard they are good for that - apparently some people take them for migranes. If you are still worried about the dizziness and head rushes you could go back and see your Doc and get him/her to check your BP again - that's what I did! It's normal to get some dizziness though.
Best wishes,
Kath