PDA

View Full Version : help help help help help

LisaLisa
09-09-09, 11:21
OMG

Im so scared. Im sure ive gone on about this so much athat everyone onthis forum knows that im scared that i have hiv and that my tests results are wrong becuase i have some symtpoms that google says are 'hallmark' of hiv. And i cant find another explanation for them.

Well i was feeling a bit better becuase i read that the tests are really good and that five just couldnt be wrong.

But now today i went onto google to try and reassure myself and types in ' false negative HIV tests'. Well I was happy that there wasnt really anything unitl i found this horrible horrible horrible article in a science journal in argentina and it said that 3% of hiv positive blood samples lack antibodies to a specific protein of hiv and will give a false negative result on some testing assays.

The article was in 2003 so it isnt that old. I cant beleive this is happening.

Can someone please help me calm down i really cant handle this.

Please help

Lisa
xxx

rebeccad
09-09-09, 11:27
Lisa take a deep breath and calm down, now lets look at this logically, ok so yes tests can be wrong theres no getting away from that but 5 CANNOT you would have to be pretty unlucky and im sure your breaking some world record somewhere if you have had 5 tests that were all wrong,

Honestly there is no possible way that 5 could be wrong 1 or 2 maybe but probably not but 5 NO WAY.

Go put the kettle on and take a chill you are fine xxxxxxx

vader100222
09-09-09, 11:33
hey lisa,

first of all if the article is true 3% is very low anyway if you have one test but to have 5 tests im sure they are all correct

second the worst thing a HA sufferer can do is is google i used to do the same until it directed me here then never done it since.

Third of all 6 years is lot in medical science terms so it is a little old now

I know this is the hardest thing to do at the moment but try not to worry about it to me it sounds like your safe like you said five cant be wrong.

JohnLuke300
09-09-09, 11:36
Hi Lisa,

If you keep looking on google you're going to find bad articles because your looking for bad articles. I could probably find an article about a flu virus that originated from mars and is expected to kill the entire population of earth by 2015 (by the way I'm only joking about mars flu :D).

Also I don't recall Argentina leading the way in HIV research, the last time I checked I think they came just below Fiji. :D

If you had five test results come back negative for HIV you can assume you have not got HIV. I would rely much more on the results than an Argentinian medical article.

All the best

John

june
09-09-09, 11:54
But now today i went onto google to try and reassure myself and types in ' false negative HIV tests'. Well I was happy that there wasnt really anything unitl i found this horrible horrible horrible article in a science journal in argentina and it said that 3% of hiv positive blood samples lack antibodies to a specific protein of hiv and will give a false negative result on some testing assays
Lisa 3% of how many? what was thier background ? did they test for antibodies etc before the test??
there are so many ways scientist will say / hint that something may be wrong to ensure he will get funding to continue work in other fields????? :hugs:
On a lighter note there is a post on here somewhere - a bloke put his symptoms into google and got massive result ---- it told him he was pregnant:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:
Best wishes
june
:hugs:

LisaLisa
09-09-09, 12:31
Thanks everyone

Im really on one today even before i read that. Back on the cheek lump big time because there are glands swollen around it and my mouth is more dry on that side than the other its really scaring me , becuase of google of course.

Does anyone else have any lymph nodes in their face that they can feel?

Today is one black day:scared15:

luke1982
09-09-09, 12:35
Hey Lisa not in my face but in my groin/crease of leg area when i press in, iv been obsessing over my glands for a few weeks now making them sore to touch because of all the prodding :(

LisaLisa
09-09-09, 13:05
Hey Lisa not in my face but in my groin/crease of leg area when i press in, iv been obsessing over my glands for a few weeks now making them sore to touch because of all the prodding :(

I think all HA folks have been there or will be there!

My dr told me that the groin glands are 'dirty' glands becuase they deal with the feet and the legs and are always swelling becuae of this. He said that they are not included in the definition of 'generalised swollen glands' becuase of this. I have lots there and so does my partner and probaly everyone else i could ask if i didnt feel a bit pervy asking hee hee

Hope you feel a bit better about this.

Does anyone else feel any lymph nodes in their face? Mine is about the middle of my cheek?

Lisaxxxx

Welsh.Baz
09-09-09, 14:42
Sounds like Lisa needs another kick in the arse :D

Seriously though, 3% of tests are wrong, back in 2003 AND in Argentina, who don't exactly have the best of health records now do they?

Logically speaking, you'd know if you were in contact with someone with HIV wouldn't you? Also if you had tests done numerous times, at least one of them would prove correct, even by those '3%' numbers, so chill :)

joshuaainsworth
09-09-09, 15:00
I agree with 'johnluke' I don't ever remember Argentina leading the way in HIV research either.

The odds of five tests being wrong are unfathomable.

I know it's hard not to google everything I do it myself it's become almost like an addiction to me, but you must try sometime's ignorance really is bliss.

LisaLisa
09-09-09, 15:40
Thanks everyone

I feel a little calmer about that article now. I went back more calmly and looked again. It said that it had happened with several tests but it seemed to be ( gosh i have read too much) older tests that werent the ones i had read of being used by nhs. In the results the tests that i had read about the NHS using all were 100%, picking up 12 out of 12 of the samples in the study.

So i think that i am being silly. Was also hopeing that if this was aproblem with 3% of samples which i guess is a lot with such a serious illness and was found to be the case in 2003...then the tests used in 2009 would have well been super up and adapted to counteract this?

Does anyone think that i am being more accurate with these thoughts? Sorry just never know wether to trust myself or not

Lisa
xxxx

Welsh.Baz
09-09-09, 17:34
There you go then more logical thinking in the test results where its something like a 0.0001% chance of them getting it wrong :)

PanicOver!!
09-09-09, 18:00
Hi Lisa

I think all of us with HA should petition to have Google shut down
If i look hard enough i can always find somthing i am dying of

Marc

justbananas
09-09-09, 21:31
Lisa - i am glad you've come around with this particular googling episode but you really are going to drive yourself into a state if you keep researching the HIV stats. i think deep down you know you're okay, but you're going to keep on with this forever. i have extreme HA so i don't mean to sound insensitive because i COMPLETELY understand your thought processes, but with such a specific focus you have on HIV, i really think CBT will be able to help you, and fairly quickly at that. please please don't keep wasting time ruining your life on this. i am doing CBT right now and it's helping, and your cyclical thought process on this reminds me much of my own.

justbananas
09-09-09, 21:38
also my apologies if you already have done or are currently in CBT - i hate when people tell me things like that when i just want to vent or worry. BUT you are just so similar to the way i fixate on things i wish i could help. alas - i know that's how our minds work!!

Blot
09-09-09, 21:40
Hi Lisa,please do not stress anymore - just to reassure you that you live in a country that is first world with the most up to date technology.The tests formulated to detect HIV are so advanced & sensitive so if your 5 tests are negative then YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV.I know how hard it is to believe that there is nothing wrong when you stress about it all the time.Hang in therexxx

Stressed32
10-09-09, 00:47
Lisa...ok..again think of the $$ you could have if 5 tests were all wrong. Also, you yourself told me that nodes swollen due to HIV are SO huge...r u growing a second pretty face? I doubt u can even see it so it is fine...and you don't have lymph nodes in your cheeks. They are at the bottom of your jaw and in your neck...but not the cheek. I bet you have one of those mean under the skin zits. Do you know what I'm talking about....the ones that can't be popped cause they are so deep? You have had this for a while and really do need to get it looked at! Stop being scared cause it is NOT HIV.

I also agree about the article and I want you see what you wrote......

Well I was happy that there wasnt really anything unitl i found this horrible horrible horrible article in a science journal in argentina

Not only did you google but you read and read and read until you found one thing that confirmed your worst fear! STOP honey...u created this in yourself today. You found 1 article from 2003 from Argentina....no mam, 5 tests are more reliable than that and speaking in terms of math if the article is right...
3 % on one test....0% on 5 tests. Hugs honey and please...go read Twilight instead of reading that crapola on google.

LisaLisa
10-09-09, 10:44
Thank you all so much for your help. Im feeling a bit more in control today and getting closer to being back on track again.

Im going to be a bit stricter with myself again because im letting myself go on google and its not want i want for myself. End of day......would i want google to tell me bad news .......definately not!!

Your all so sweet for replying and I really appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks again

Lisa
xxxxxx