PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram/Cipralex & Side Effects

andrewjdavid2005
20-10-05, 17:17
I was on cipralex for 15 months and i went to the doctors last week to get some more 10mg cipralex she said she wanted to up my dose from 10mg to 20mg when i got my prescription it said citalopram on it, i questioned this the following day but they said everyone at this surgery who is on cipralex is being switched to citalopram i was very worried about this and i still am.

I have been taking citalopram for around 6 days now and i feel very strange and weird, i feel very spaced out and dizzy and i feel just strange, i felt panicky earlier, was the doctor right doing this swapping me over like this? i have'nt felt right since going on citalopram and the fact i have a bad cold as well does not help but i think the citalopram is giving me alot of problems.

andrewjdavid2005
20-10-05, 17:43
I felt fine on cipralex never had any side effects now i feel very weird and still don't understand why i have been given citalopram?? i was fine on cipralex, the doc said it's the same thing it doesn't feel like it at all.

andrewjdavid2005
20-10-05, 17:58
I am worried obviously because i have been on 10mg cipralex for 15 months then suddenly i go to the doctor's and the next day i'm on 20mg citalopram and i feel awful, you are not allowed to go from one SSRI to another that quickly are you? if i find out this doctor who i have been having trouble with has made me ill by doing this i will take legal action against her.

nomorepanic
20-10-05, 19:15
Andrew - I tried replying to the email you sent me but it said the email inbox was invalid.

Maybe you need to change it on your profile on here. Thanks.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Meg
20-10-05, 19:20
Yes your email is bouncing AD . Please correct it as its annoying to spent time anwering your query individually only not to be able to send it.

As I emailed you :

Its said that 20mg cipramil (citalopram hydrobromide) = 5mg Cipralex (escitalopram oxalate).

20 mg of Cipralex is the highest recommended dose whereas for Cipramil the dose is 20-60mg so you have had your dose lowered.

The 2 drugs are very similar but not exactly the same . Lots of people get switched between them but in you case it seems that she didn't mean to switch from what she said to you, but either miswrote the prescription or the chemist misread it.

No permanent harm done but its seems as though you have had a dose reduction, not increase which would account for how you feel, you're possibly having a bit of SSRI withdrawal .

You need to take it back and get it checked out tomorrow.

Meg

andrewjdavid2005
20-10-05, 19:31
Whats your opinion on this nicola? thanks.

andrewjdavid2005
20-10-05, 19:37
When i went to the doctor to get anew cipralex prescription she said she was going to up my does from 10mg to the maximum 20mg.

When i got home i noticed that it said 20mg citalopram on it, the next day my wife went down to the surgery and questioned this and the doctor who wrote the prescription said it was correct so i started taking these pills, now 5-6 days down the line i feel dreadful, i feel very dizzy, spaced out, feel like i want to get out of my body and i feel angry and edgy and i have never felt like this.

It was no mistake the doctor issued this prescription, she never told me that she was changing me all she said was that she was upping my cipralex to 20mg from 10mg, so she has caused me these problems with her bad mistake and i have already complained twice about this doctor this time i am considering taking heavy action because her actions have caused me several problems by switching my pills.

The doctor i told you about last week on a different post when she was going into my private life this is the same doctor, what should i do about it? i refuse to take anymore citalopram after feeling like this, tomorrow i really need anew prescription for cipralex but i can guarantee i wont get an appointment tomorrow as they are terrible for getting appointments on the same day, i'm stuck as to what to do!

Meg
20-10-05, 19:41
Don't stop it suddenly. You'll feel even worse

Check with the chemist as well AD.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

andrewjdavid2005
20-10-05, 19:43
Well when i went to the chemist to get this prescription even they questioned it as they know i always take cipralex they told me to double check so i did with the doctor so i got the prescription, i don't see what the chemist can do?? what would they tell me to do if i went up to see them tomorrow? i need to be back on cipralex asap, i can do without these horrible effects.

andrewjdavid2005
20-10-05, 19:45
How bad could this make me feel having been switched straight from one drug to another at a lower dose as well???

Do you think the doctor has been unprofessional or incompetent by doing this without telling me or explaining??

Do you think i should seek legal action against the doctor or report her to the medical association or something?? i need some guidance on this, thanks.

Meg
20-10-05, 20:05
I think you should first go and find out what actually happened without having a strop which won't help at all right now.

See any doctor there, anyone of them can view what she wrote down and see if thats what she documented v what she prescribed v what was dispensed.

When you are settled and sorted, then consider putting in a complaint to the practice manager.

As bad as you may feel, it is not a life threatening error and indeed is a dose reduction so you were in no danger from it.

It may yet turn out to be a dispensing error or she may have decided this is what she intended to do, but didn't relay it to you. I know you don't like her and her conduct is not looking good but don't jump to conclusions just yet.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

nomorepanic
20-10-05, 20:16
Andrew

I couldn't offer much help other than to suggest you went to see doctor and checked the dosage etc and then found out what the equivalent one was. Meg has sorted that all out now anyway.

Hope you get it sorted.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

basics
24-10-05, 01:48
Does this mean no one is allowed to take Cipralex anymore?

I take it at the moment.

I hope it's still safe to do so???

mjh74
24-10-05, 11:34
Jeez Meg! So I'm supposedly on 80mg of Citalopram equivalent?!

I was on Citalopram about 5 years ago at 20mg, I wasn't feeling too great on it so I was upped to 40 and felt a lot worse. I decided to try the other way and dropped to 10mg and I felt REALLY well on it. Now I'm on 8 times the dose equivalent?!

So.... in theory these are going to be a lot harder to come off as when I properly withdrew from Cipramil, I went from 10 to 7.5/5/2.5 over 3 months (using drops) but with Cipralex it will be a quadruple step each time if no drops are available?

Mark

debz81
07-08-11, 12:20
i am 32 weeks pregnant and had to go back on my medication when i was 26 week preganat cus of the anxiety returning.. i started off at 5mg and had the worst ever increasing anxiety attacks they did settle and i have been ok up until now so last night decided to increase them to 10mg now i am feeling so overwhelmed and shaky got the worse ever anxiety attacks eg smoothering sensation,breathlessness,shaky,dry mouth etc..ARE all these just affects of increasing the dosage and will they eventulay pass ????