PDA

View Full Version : are people with GAD on medication?

nicros
10-09-09, 14:09
I am still trying to come off venlafaxine 75mg after being on them for 3 years. Thought I was getting better and they are not as effective so with Dr guidance came down slowly and have got to half a 37.5mg tablet morning only. I have been on this dose a couple of weeks now and I'm feeling a nervous wreck like before I went on them. I wanted to come off them as was worried about long term health on them and I've put 2 stone on and cannot shift no matter how much exercise I do and dieting.
The Dr wasn't keen on me coming off them but said he would support me whatever I decided. My health link worker in the past said I may be on meds for most of my life, so don't push myself to be off them. Are most people with GAD on constant meds or on and off or not on at all? please reply I would feel better if I knew what other people did, thanks for reading this Nic :unsure: :unsure:

sMINT
10-09-09, 15:33
Hi nicros,

Im not on any medication.

My view on it all is medication WILL ONLY help alleviate the condition and will NOT cure it. I haev ta thing with taking medication so that's another reason why I have always refused it. I know if I go on medication Ill probably feel better but I know I'll feel 100 times worse when coming off because I wouldn't be used to all the anxiety and panic all at once if that makes sense lol.

My advice is if you think you can handle it, do try to come of your medication and maybe try and get some CBT or otehr form of treatment becuase I know for a fact medicatioin will never cure anxiety/panic attacks, It can only help with the conidition whilst taking them.

meg86
10-09-09, 15:41
I feel the same as you sMINT i see medication as a short term solution, if i get better i want to know that i did it myself and that i did it without relying on medication.

I am really struggling so am due to start CBT next month. There have been times when i have been very tempted to try the medication because i do feel scared to death most of the time, however i do know that sometimes medication can work for some people, and they come off it and feel better! depends what you feel is right for you :)