PDA

View Full Version : HELP TO STOP SMOKING

Lottie32
19-01-04, 23:20
Can anybody suggest anything to help me stop smoking?

My main problem is that I don't want to, but I know I should. I seem to be getting every other area in my life back to a healthy shape, but I'm still smoking.

I know what it does to my body, know the heightened risk of disease in later life, and have even seen that new anti smoking advert.

I know how much money it will save me, how much better my skin will be, how much nicer I will smell.

BUT I still don't want to give up. I thought that once i started at the gym, I would be struggling to breathe, and that would spur me on, but I can do 50 minutes of cardio non stop without a problem, so that hasn't worked.

I don't particularly get a craving (apart from when I'm tired, or strangely as soon as I've got out of the gym).

Has anybody else given up when they didn't want to? And if so how. I'm sort of thinking along the lines of well I ate a whole clove of garlic every time I went to light up, and the fag tasted so disgusting that I couldn't smoke it (but probably not that extreme). [xx(] What makes it worse is that many members of my family have died from cancer (one of lung cancer) and that in itself still hasn't swayed me.

Any tips will be gratefully read

Charlie

benoo5
19-01-04, 23:51
charlie,

its obvious,that you dont want to give up!

to beat anything in life,be it anxiety,be it panic...be it alcohohol,drugs,or smoking...you have to want to beat it,and your not mentally ready!

you have looked at every good reason for quitting,from a negative attitude...so its time to think positive.

1/. i will live longer.
2/. i will breathe clean air.
3/. i will be able to taste food.
3/. i will smell like a woman should.
4/. i will stay younger/longer.
5/. i will not be a social outcast,in years to come.
6/. i will be fitter,than i am now.
7/. i am 33...i want to live another 50 yrs!

there are patches,which,work on over 70% of people...there are new chewing gums,i hear the new fruit flavour is favourite,and has a success rate of nearly 70%...but charlie my friend,its wot i said,at the beginning...its up to you!....bryan.

Lottie32
20-01-04, 10:52
Thanks Bryan

Thats the problem, I don't really want to!!!

And I don't really get cravings, so don't think that the patches would do anything, cos it's places and situations that get me lighting up - i.e. driving home from work. Sometimes, I'll get half way down a fag and wonder why on earth I'm smoking it. And if I stop in with Jamie, I don't smoke at all. (And sometimes I'm there for 16+ hours).

I'm going to use your reference points, and try to talk myself into wanting to stop!

Thanks Bryan

Lots of Love

Charlie

Laurie28
20-01-04, 12:03
Charlie,

I'm sorry but you have no chance!! (i don't want to sound mean) unless you really really want to stop then your chances are minimal to none!!

Love
Lucky

DawnUK
20-01-04, 13:16
Hi Lottie,
I've managed to more or less stop smoking throughout these past 3 weeks when my PAs and anxiety have been at their worst ever, I haven't had a single puff for over a week now! This is mainly coz when I smoke, my heart starts beating faster and freaks me out even more! Plus every time I get a funny cough or pain in my chest, I think I've got lung cancer, having a heart attack, etc., another common thing in anxiety sufferers so I've read on here! :(

However, I'm sure if I felt OK again I, like you, would be straight back on the fags! I've now bought a book which I'm going to read when I'm better - 'Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking'. I've heard great things about it, some people have said it's stopped them smoking even if they haven't wanted to give up. It was only about 6 quid, so even if it doesn't work, you haven't lost much. Go to Amazon.co.uk and check out the book reviews - don't think I saw a negative one! Good luck! [8D]

Lottie32
20-01-04, 13:50
Lucky - you are right

Dawn - thanks, I shall try that out. And at £6, it only the price of 30 fags anyway!

When I am in a state of permanent anxiety I smoke very little because I feel so nauseous, the smoking makes me feel worse. Then I start again. What an idiot!

Let me know how you get on

Charlie

Laurie28
20-01-04, 14:06
Charie,

i'm sorry my last post sounded so harsh but I am only speaking from personal experience

Love
lucky

mico
20-01-04, 17:16
Read Allen Cars' book on how to stop smoking as mentioned by DawnUK, It's good. Gives you a good understanding of the addiction you have and how it works. It's all very logical and explains a lot of things that will help you to 'want' to stop smoking.

good luck

mico

Samantha
21-01-04, 17:42
I dont no whether this works because i dont smoke, but i read somewhere that having some sort of band round your wrist can help. Everytime you feel the need to smoke you 'ping' it hard, eventually your brain begins to associate smoking with the pain that you feel when doing this, it may take some time, good luck for the future
Sam

benoo5
21-01-04, 18:28
hi charlie,

ive got a strange feeling about this,after reading uour second post!

you say,that you dont crave a ciggy...that sounds as if the nicotine,hasent got a hold of you!

are you sure,your not using cigarettes,as an accessorie,etc....i wouldnt be surprised,if you just puffed it in,and blow it out,without swallowing the smoke...just a feeling,i have.

you lite up,in your car!..is that to calm you down..or do you think,it makes you attractive?

you say,you think nothing of going 16hrs,without lighting up...charlie,i dont think you have a problem...change over to ORBIT SUGER FREE gum...throw away those death sticks...your mouth will feel fresher,your teeth will be whiter,and start to enjoy the taste of good derbyshire vegetables.

here ends the sermon,well your a mate!...bryan.

Laurie28
22-01-04, 08:39
Brian, Brian, Brian,

I'm sure Charlie is old enough to realize smoking is sooo NOT cool. The habit of stopping smoking is terrible. She lights a ciggie when she gets in to the car out of habit! You light one when you are on the phone out of habit and you light one when you are having a drink out of habit!!!

My tip for Charlie is - borrow a couple of kids for a couple of months to get out of the habit!!. you can't smoke in the car with kids or when on the phone if they are running around!!!!

Seriously though Charlie good luck - how's the book reading coming along? I've heard loads of good things about Allan Carr (he went from 100 a day to nothing didn't he?). You can also get his video.

Anyway i am going to stop smoking soon as well cause it really does stink and is very bad for you!!

Love
Lucky

Meg
22-01-04, 08:43
My ex came over last also rattling on about the Alan Carr book. He is a self confessed 25-30 man .
Having lived with him during production shoots, its more like 35-40+.

He read it in one sitting and is going to give it a go... Here's hoping it does it for him.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Wannabeloved85
09-11-05, 17:01
Hey, i know this is a old post lol...just wondering if there was any luck lottie? im in the same boat!

kate
09-11-05, 19:17
Hmmmm, well she was still smoking when we had the meet up in September!

She also lent me her Alan Carr book, which I never read, and I gave her back at the meet up!

Kate

vernon
10-11-05, 12:31
Hi lottie I also realy want to give up smoking. but just cant start. Mico recomended the allen arrs book so I bought the allen carrs CD version, Its realy good and makes sence but still didnt stop lol. My doughter wants to stop and she has also tryied it she thought it looked good but didnt stop either. I am coughing to much latley and feeling breathless but just cant seem to put my mind to stopping. I did stop a few years ago for 4 weeks when I had a real bad chest and doc said it sounded bad and sent me for chest x-ray but it came back clear so i started again:(. Mico keeps telling everyone how good the book is? but has he stopped yet? not last time i asked him lol. I have a box of patches too but just need to get it into my mind to stop. the more i wory about stopping the more i smoke. I have a self hypnosis cd I listen to its to stop smoking but, I sometimes light up half way through:( good luck lottie, and mico after all this recomending allen carr for years have you stopped yet? or are you getting a % from sales lol. Take care. Vernon

pinkscrumpy
10-11-05, 16:55
Vernon

Have you tried the patches aswell as popping a lozenger in your mouth when the craving gets to bad. Thats what my doc suggested in the beggining.

Its been 9 months today since I quit now and I was a really heavy smoker.

Don't get me wrong it was the hardest thing I have ever done and like you when I got poorly and had an x ray, when mine came back clear the first thing I did was light a fag.

I still miss it now, but the craving is not as bad. I don't think i'm out the other side yet, but I still trying and the will power is there.

You will do it when the time is right and as they say, Never give up trying to give up. It doesn't matter how many attempts it takes

Lots of love

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

Piglet
10-11-05, 17:31
When I fell pregnant (in the long ago olden days) I really wanted to give up and luckily for me I had three months of bad morning sickness which totally helped me on my way but the other thing I did was get a plastic cigarette and use that (even used a short pencil once too lol).

No-one could believe I could give up as I used to smoke so heavily and it was in the days when you could smoke in the office too, so I was always at it. I was told it takes a least three weeks to break the hand to mouth gesture, let alone the nicotine thing.

The plastic cigarette really helped with this though and I havent smoked again in 19 years (a drinking straw would do though too)!!

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

vernon
10-11-05, 18:01
Thanks mandie. Yes I can imagine it takes a long time as when I stopped for four weeks the craving didnt let up at all. I was a heavy drinker then drank daily for close to 40 years and drank more when i tried to stop smoking. but i gave up drink 2 years ago so i cant turn to that lol. When i stopped drinking I was realy ill for about 12 months so can imagine its hard to stop smoking. Piglet thanks for that tip too will have to try soon. take care all. Vernon