PDA

View Full Version : hi all

bluebirds2005
20-01-04, 02:49
well im 22 and live in cardiff uk i have 3 great kids but have been having panic attacks for the last 5 months ive had blood tests and ecg to make sure its nothing else but theyve all come back normal but i still have panic attacks regular and there starting to control my life i always think im going to have a heart attack because of the chest pain and just sit around for hours waiting for it to happen my partner is starting to get fed up and to be honest i just cant see how im going to be able to get my life back on track whilst im having panic attacks 4 or 5 times every week

g e j Atkinson

Meg
20-01-04, 18:54
Hi Gareth,

Welcome to the site and join many people on the same quest ..

What advice or treatment have you been offered so far ?

'and just sit around for hours waiting for it to happen' and it hasn't for 5 months !! What do you honestly think the chances are of having a heart attack aged 22 ? When you next get chest pain - get up stretch up high and take a walk .

What were you doing/thinking about when you had your first one ?

Keep posting .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

bluebirds2005
21-01-04, 23:54
well at the moment im not having any treatment its a case of ruling out all other possibilities first but now hes sure what it is ive got an appointement monday so he can discuss all the possible treatments with me but theres no trigger for the attacks they happen at any time and they come on out of the blue

g e j Atkinson

sadie
22-01-04, 00:04
hi Gareth,

Welcome aboard. You will find lots of useful information here and gain lots of new friends who do know how you are truly feeling!

Most people who suffer PA would say that their panic attacks seem to strike out of the blue. Mines did too but the more I think about it now and the more I have come to understand about my anxiety and PA they didnt really strike out of the blue. They are usually caused by our behaviours, thoughts and symptoms that we are experiencing at the time.

Have a good read on all the different message boards, especially the ones on Panic, Anxiety and Symptoms and this should help you understand them a lot better.

Keep in touch.

sadie

Meg
22-01-04, 00:11
Hi Gareth,

As Sadie says they are mostly not out of the blue unless it's as a result of low blood sugar, excess caffiene and so forth but as a delayed consequence of whats been reverberating round your head for the last while.. So places and so forth are of little consequence ...

Have a cruise of the main home pages too.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Samantha
22-01-04, 19:03
Hi bluebird it was nice talking to you in the chat room last night even if it was only briefly, i hope you find the information and help here, welcome to the site!
Sam

stimpy
24-01-04, 00:20
Very nice to meet you.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

uryjm
25-01-04, 19:45
Hi Gareth
I had my first panic attack around your age, and thought I was dying at the time. Later on as they persisted, I thought "heart attack", "Brain haemorrage/tumor", "Cancer". As it became evident it was none of these, I moved on to "as yet unknown fatal virus", "death by insanity" and so on. All I can say is you will get your life back on track. The upside of having 4 or 5 panic attacks a week is that you'll get used to them and devise strategies to deal with them too. There is much good advice in this site, and I hope you can find support here when you're not wanting to burden your partner.

Jim

nomorepanic
25-01-04, 20:00
Hi Gareth

Welcome to the site. You are not alone in your thoughts and problems but there are loads of very caring people in this message forum and we will do all we can to help you.

Have a good look around and ask any questions you want to.

Nicola

Karen39
20-02-04, 16:40
Hi all,
Gareth, I can understand what you're going through, I too suffer from chest pains and expect to have a huge heart attack at any time. After having some sort of panic attack ( I guess that's what it was altho I wasn't aware of it at the time) at a rock concert last year, I now am frightened to go to places far from home or unfamiliar places, in case it happens again, I'm also shy and don't have many friends and barely go out at all these days and don't know what to do about this. Life sometimes seems so pointless, I just think, "is this how it's going to be for the rest of my life? Why bother?" and can't imagine it ever changing. I'm 39 years old, but have seen my doctor, who said there was no reason why I should have a heart attack as my blood pressure is low to normal, but she did no tests and seem to think it a silly thing to think. I also was having counselling at the time to deal with some issues in my life but the counsellor said he was unable to help with panic issues and I would have to see someone else about them. However, I work full-time and only started 4 months ago so am unable to take time off work for countless doctor's appointments and therapy appointments, and also quite frankly it seems a waste of time, no one seems to take it seriously or know of a "cure". I used to work in a mental health hospital and even the nurses there didn't seem to take people with panic problems seriously! It seems to be seen as something we are putting on, not a real ailment. Sorry, this is just the impression I got.
I have stopped talking to my partner about my panic attacks, he doesn't understand at all and doesn't know what to say, so what's the point?
Anyway, does anyone know of any good hypnotherapy tapes or books that actually help? There are so many out there but I can't afford to waste lots of money on them, would appreciate any suggestions.

Karen

Rennie1989
21-02-04, 14:08
blue

iv had panic attacks for 5 months, 5,4 or 3 times a week but i havent had any treatment, at least we know what each others goin throw

jade

bluebird1
21-02-04, 15:43
Hi Blue,
firstly cool name lol :)
nice to see you in the chat room last night.
just like to say my panics were triggered by a similar thing- palpitations. I thought I would keel over at any time as well, but I got so fed up with no quality of life that i thought if Im gonna go Im gonna go having fun. lol and surprise, surprise,i hardly get them now except when im stressed but hey thats normal . once you start to treat the pains with the contempt they deserve you will find they will go on their own and as everyone has said you are not on your own any more we DO understand. bluebird 1 (lyn)