PDA

View Full Version : Cipralex- My Vistor To Docs Today

andrewjdavid2005
21-10-05, 21:41
As you know i have been on 10mg cipralex for 14 months, last week my GP said she was upping my dose from 10mg to 20mg.

When i got home i noticed the prescription was for citalopram i checked with the doctor she said it was right, she didn't say she was changing my pills, started taking them and after 5-6 days i satrted having bad side effects.

Went to doc's today and demanded i be put on cipralex 10mg which i have and i have started taking them today.

I told this doctor that the other GP didn't inform me she was changing my pills on the computer it says i was aware of the change but i was not, so this GP who i have been having problems with has lied again and i think she should be punished for causing me unessecary side effects when i was quite happy on cipralex in the first place.

What do you think i should do? the practice manager isn't doing alot i am considering going to the general medical association.

nomorepanic
21-10-05, 21:49
Andrew

Glad you got it all sorted now.

It depends how far you want to take it and whether you can deal with the hassle / stress etc.

I had a similar thing with potentially fatal results (I know that sounds dramatic but it could have been). I am allergic to Penicillin and one doc gave me it and it was only cos I read the leaflet before I took any that it mentioned to not to be taken if allergic to it. An allergy like that can be serious.

I never took it any further - I did tell the doctors and the chemist but they didn't seem to care much.

I have not been back to see that doctor since.

The reason I didn't take it further was cos I couldn't be doing with all the hassle of it at the time.

If you feel strongly then you can make a complaint and take it as far as you can.

I wish you luck cos I know how mad this has made you feel.

Oh one more thing - it is very hard when it is your word against theirs. Long story but my partner's dad died of cancer and his step-mum tried to get the doctor struck off for his incompetence and mis-diagnosis and at the end of the day they threw the complaint out as it was one person's word against another and his dad was not alive to tell his tale. I am not saying this is similar to your complaint I am just pointing out that it was a very very long drawn out process and very stressful for his step-mum and she never got the answers she wanted.

Let us know what you decide.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

andrewjdavid2005
21-10-05, 21:56
I am going to complain to the practice manager again, if steps are not taken and she gets away with it, then i will take it as far as i can i have already beenin contact with the GMA and i have to send a form to them within the next 7 days if i want them to start taking action and investigating the doctor, i am the kind of person that does not let things drop when thing's happen that should not have happened in the first place, it might cause me stress but i think it's worth it, i don't think this doctor should be allowed to make those mistakes again with anyone else.

nomorepanic
21-10-05, 22:00
I appreciate that Andrew

Just be prepared for a long battle and they may even say that you had agreed to it and knew what was happening. Again it will be your word against theirs.

There was no serious harm done to you but I can understand your concerns that next time the doctor may do something worse.

I wish you well. If you get any updates please reply here and don't start a new topic cos you have several on the go about this and people can't keep up with it.

Did you correct your email address too?

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

andrewjdavid2005
21-10-05, 22:02
I will keep you updated on the progress, yes i have updated my email address :)

nomorepanic
21-10-05, 22:09
Thanks Andrew and I hope you can get this sorted.

I would be fuming mad too so I can see why you wanted to pursue it. Hope you get some answers.

Nicola

andrewjdavid2005
21-10-05, 22:22
And the complaint is not only about that either it is about the GP treating me like a child saying that upping my does from 10mg to 20mg should make me get over my problems within a month and that i can get off my arse and get back to work, i have not worked for 2 years, i have 3 kids, another one on the way, 2 of my kids have cystic fibrosis so i have to look after them and help my pregnant wife and i have health problems the doctor should not be lecturing me about work and i put in a claim for disability living allowance because of my severe asthma and anxiety, panic etc and my doc said i don't really want to fill the form in for you as i can guarantee your not entitled to this benefit when i know i am entitled to it.

nomorepanic
21-10-05, 22:36
Andrew

Couple of points here ...

Maybe you could address the issues of not working and look to sort something out - even part time would be a start or voluntary work (we can give you some links).

Sorry to hear about the kids - must be hard to look after them as well as yourself. When is the new baby due now?

Asthma - are you sure it is asthma and not just breathing problems that are anxiety related. Asthma is so easily controlled nowadays. I have it too and I have inhalers and it never restricts my life. If it does then you are not on the right combination of inhalers etc. Asthma alone can be treated quite well nowadays.

Anxiety/Panic issues - these are down to you to help resolve along with the drugs. You need to set up a recovery plan for this as well.

It is hard to get incapacity benefit so could be a long struggle

We have a few posts on here about working from home schemes - have you considered them atall?

Nicola

vernon
21-10-05, 22:39
Hi Andrew, The same type of thing has happened to me in the past. So I always check on meds for my family or me before I take any. Our Doctor prescribed our then about 6-month-old baby antibiotic for a bad cold and at the chemist they asked was the child over 12 years old. I said no only 6 months and the chemist noticed this med was only for children over 12 years old. There are so many mistakes by different doctors I am afraid, also our youngest son always seemed to be poorly and full of cold but doctor always said it nothing its only a cold. Anyway we changed practice and were found he had asthma and has been on meds for asthma since so I am with you that a lot of doctors don’t really take enough interest in what they seem to be doing. I also remember my old doctor saying to me once Oh I didn’t know you had bad eyes, lol at this time I had been registered blind for 8 years, I am on cipralex too been on them about 8 months now and doctor raised them from 10 mg to 20mg a few months after I started and the higher dose did have some side effects at the start. So as I say I always check out meds given me or my family now before I take them I also keep a update of the BMA guide to meds and drugs so I can look them up. You said when you got home you realised the doctor had given you a different med? Why did you take them and not go back and say you wanted to continue with cipralex but 20mg in place of 10? Take care. Vernon

andrewjdavid2005
21-10-05, 22:41
Well the thing is i have been told by the jobcentre that if i worked my wife would lose all her benefits and disability benefits for the kids and other benefits that the kids get.

If i worked we would not be able to afford all the council tax, rent, food for 5 people soon to be 6 people bills etc we have worked it out several times this is one of the problems we have along with me being ill as well.

I have claimed for DLA not incapacity benefit, DLA is abit different and not a big struggle to get like incapacity benefit.

andrewjdavid2005
21-10-05, 22:43
I did go back to the doctor and ask for cipralex but they more or less refused and said i have to take the citalopram so i was forced to take them and suffer basically which is another reason i am taking the matter as far as possible, i questioned the doctor the next day before taking them and she said take them so i did and i got lots of nasty affects which was unessecary.

nomorepanic
21-10-05, 22:54
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
Well the thing is i have been told by the jobcentre that if i worked my wife would lose all her benefits and disability benefits for the kids and other benefits that the kids get.

If i worked we would not be able to afford all the council tax, rent, food for 5 people soon to be 6 people bills etc we have worked it out several times this is one of the problems we have along with me being ill as well.

I have claimed for DLA not incapacity benefit, DLA is abit different and not a big struggle to get like incapacity benefit.

<div align="right">Originally posted by andrewjdavid2005 - 21 October 2005 : 22:41:47</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Andrew

I know this is hard financially but then it is restricting you from getting a life back and out in the working world. I can't believe they would take it all away would they?

Surely this is holding you back from going to work cos you see no reason to do so.

Have you looked into all the options etc?

Nicola

andrewjdavid2005
21-10-05, 23:00
Yes it is holding me back because basically if i got a job we would lose evey benefit we have including housing benefit all the children's disability benefit.

We would not be able to afford to live if that happened, we would end up homeless because we would not be able to pay things such as rent, council tax etc as well as feed 6 people it just couldn't happen we have been through it so many times and looked at all the options it is not possible at the present time, we would both have to be working to afford everything and that cannot happen with our kids having cystic fibrosis and anew baby to look after as well so we are in a stuck position.

nomorepanic
21-10-05, 23:05
What a crap system eh? No wonder that people can't even afford to work! I can't see why they penalise you for it though.

Ok well maybe you could do some of the homework stuff.

Nicola

andrewjdavid2005
31-10-05, 14:05
Just an update, the GMA are investigating my doctor and her conduct, i won't find out for awhile what has happened but will let you know when i hear something.