PDA

View Full Version : Health anx or OCD ?

richieshealth
11-09-09, 19:47
I've an obsessonal thought of been exposed to and catching HIV. I used to have a similar feeling to catching bird flu, but this has now faded. I don't have the typical behaviours of a health anx sufferer, I do not worry about other conditions and I do not check for symptoms on anything else. So I don't know what I'm actually experiencing, OCD or Health Anx. I know it's not good what ever it is. I tried to confront my anx by exposing myself to sexual contact - even though I took precautions, I'm back with all my uncomfortable feelings again. As a result of not feeling right, I've had to turn down a really cool seasonal job in Boca Raton, Southern Florida which I'd been chasing for last 5 months (talk about great life experience gone, "gutted")

justbananas
11-09-09, 21:15
the only way to know and to move fwd is to be evaluated by a professional. CBT will help you tremendously either way. HA and OCD often go hand in hand by the way and it's not always black and white.

richieshealth
11-09-09, 21:55
Ye, I've already done this, but they don't seem to be sure. It's health related - but the fear and anx, comes with the not knowing and the doubts(i.e every thing has to be just right feeling). for instance over the last 4 weeks I have bought 7 new tooth brushes: reasons been I thought I heard someone where I live using my tooth brush in error around 4 weeks ago , as I thought they may have bleeding gums and I don't know there HIV status, I could not wash and use the toothbrush, I had to buy a new one. Since then everytime I leave my toothbrush by accident in the bathroom I have to buy a new one. Why?.. not because I truly believe it's been used, it's because I have not witnessed it not been used. I now have it in my room stuck in a container up right so it doesn't touch any surfaces and no surfaces where my old brushes have lied previous. I can now wash my teeth in peace ( but this has to be the routine) So not sure were I'm at with this.. thanks!