PDA

View Full Version : Is this really just panic attacks/anxiety?

Ella_Jayne
11-09-09, 23:11
I'm 21 and about 3 weeks ago I had a bit of a sinus infection, it cleared up after a few days. But when I had it I was very consious of my breathing at night and often lay awake worrying about it.

A few days after I woke up and felt my heart rate go really slow, I jumped up and felt dizzy, lightheaded, weak, nauseous, I seriously felt that I was going to die. I was alone in the house and ran to my front door to see if anyone was around that could help.

At that point I noticed that my heart rate was really really fast. I could feel it in my chest. I felt thatif I was to calm down, that my heart would stop. It took a phone call to a nurse to calm me down.

My boyfriend came home very shortly after and it happened again, this time not as severe. He called an ambulance, I had an 3 ECG's which all came back normal, but the doctor said because it's never happened before to ask my GP to get me an appointment to wear a 24hour ECG.

Since then it's happened 4 or 5 times, each time resulting in a visit to the hospital. In total now I have had 10 resting ECG's all came back normal, although the last time I was in the doctor said that I could have potential Arrhythmia, but said she checked with a senior doctor and he disagreed saying it was normal.

Since she has said this, I've become even worse. I keep thinking that this is what I have and that I'm going to die from it. I'm only 21 and my life has been turned upside down since this started happening. I can't eat, sleep, I'm constantly dizzy, lightheaded and fearing the worst. I have chest pains, head aches, my vision is blurry with little exploding lights, and keep checking my pulse. It's taking over my life completely. I don't know what to do. :weep:

My GP said she can't diagnose me with panic/anxiety until she has the results from the 24hour ECG but I havn't even got an appointment to get it fitted yet. Well enough rambling on, what do you think it is? Just anxiety or something else? Would you be worried about the doctor's comments about 'potential' Arrhythmia?

xxx

FroggyPrince
12-09-09, 12:10
Hi Ella, welcome to the group.

What you are describing sounds like classic health anxiety to me. Fear of terrible illnesses, fear that you are going to die etc. It's very common, and plenty of our members have it. Although health anxiety is uncomfortable and upsetting, it cannot actually hurt you.

Of course, make sure you have all the checks that your doctor is suggesting, but if you have a look round the forum, you'll see posts from lots of ppl that have similar health worries. These worries are almost always without foundation, and are caused by anxiety.

Regards,

Paul (Froggy)