PDA

View Full Version : Breast cancer fears about my mum :( please give me some advice

Wee-Mee
11-09-09, 23:52
I know I haven't been on in a while guys and for once it's not about me!My mum is 60 and upon receiving her mammogram they noticed a small shawowed aread in her right breast and biopsied it,the results wont be in til this Monday. Naturally I am ILL with worry. According to my mum,the doctor said that it is very small and if it was the worst,they would be able to cut it out etc and it would be okay.

She asked if my mum regularly checked her breasts and my mum todl me that she didn't but I always nag to her(It's true,I do) and the woman said that if she did check for lumps apparantly this lump she has wouldn't have been felt for about 5 or 6 years down the line. Is this true,can cancer take that long to develop? I hope so for my mums sake,I am so worried,I'm scared that as I sit typing this,it's growing into a big horrible mass and she's going to die :weep: :weep: :weep:

I need some support :( I don't even know the procdures if it was cancer,if it's small wqould she still get chemo and radiotherapy? What if that causes cancer somewhere else?

Omg,I can't think :weep:

charsey
12-09-09, 00:23
I'm afriad i have no words of wisdom on this subject, but i'm sure that your mum is in the best hands. Like they said it's small and it could be anything at this stage. Try not to worry too much, hard i know.
My thoughts are with you x x

kazzie
12-09-09, 00:34
Hi:hugs:

My mum thought she had breast cancer 25 years ago and paid for private tests(as you had to in those days) and she had a pulled muscle!!!!

Please dont worry Im sure she will be fine!!!

I went to my gp a few weeks ago with a lump under my arm which was nothing

Relax:hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

Wee-Mee
12-09-09, 00:38
Thankyou for the kind words. :hugs:

I just googled,dammit dammit dammit. :(

Wee-Mee
12-09-09, 00:40
I'm so worried and aggitated. Argh. I don't know what to do.

I cant think. I don't know. I feel ill. My mum doesn't seem that bothered which I don't know if that is good or she is hiding her worry.

I keep crying.

It just can't be an option that my mum has cancer. It can;t! :weep:

teez
12-09-09, 01:28
hello hun i dont know wether im gonna help yah or hinder here ,,but i have had breast cancer,,wont lie its scarey,,but having had it,,its something you can come through,,im on year four and yes still worried,,but not all the time,,if she having a lumpectomy,,these are fine your in and out the next day,,they do check your lympth glands under your arms,,which can be sore afterwards tell her to keep her arm moving ,,but no lifting whatsoever,,,and no tight clothing or jewelery,,oh and she gonna need a soft bra ,,well fitting but no wires,,,she need the support,,,if its any comfort my lump was huge,,but its no longer as bad as it was,,if she has radio therapy,,which she will no doubt,,,tell her not to worry,,its fine,,and i had no side effects or pain,,.if you need to know anything else im happy to help,,take care theresa x

Wee-Mee
12-09-09, 02:52
I'm sorry to hear that teez :( And I hope you are well for years and years to come! *hugs*

I just wish they knew a cure for this disease..they know how to send frigging monkeys and people into space yet can't like,I dunno,give people jags that immunise them from it or something I dunno. :(

My mum's got diabetes and bp probs too,and arthritus and I dunno if that worsens it or not. I'm so worried. I was breaking my heart a moment ago,why I came back on here,I can't sleep. Ahh.. :'(

No one seems to be worried apart from me and I dont know why,it's bloody cancer that we're meaybe dealing with here! And I did the bad G word and read upon some things and it said something about depending on the type the size doesn't matter if it is stage 0 if it is bad or not or something. :'( And I am terrified it is growing right now and getting worse and the results aren't til Monday :weep: :weep: :weep: And my mum also has a plaster on where they did a needle biopsy and she has been told not to lift anything heavy and that she has to keep the plaster thing on til tomorrow night.. But I don't understand why it is just til tomorrow night?

I don't knwo what to do if it cancer. I can't live without my mum :weep:

Cell block H fan
12-09-09, 05:49
I bet your mum is much like mine, apparantly they dont worry about things like this as much when they get older. Lucky them!
My ex mum in law had very early stage breast cancer, they took the lump away & that was it. She didn't need chemo or anything. They put her on some drug, thats supposed to stop it coming back, which I assume she will be on forever? & it hasn't come back. That was 6 or 7 years ago, she's fine, & in her 60's x

Wee-Mee
13-09-09, 23:28
I'm happy your ex mum in law has been lucky cell block h fan *hugs* I am still naturally sick to my stomach.

The appointment is for 11:45 tomorrow and I'm going to go along with my mum and my mum was speaking to me and she was saying to me not to get upset if it is cancer etc cause they will just cut it out but I know I will end up in a state. This is my worst fear that could be possibly coming true :weep: :weep: :weep:

My mum said that the lump was apparantly, half and inch by a quarter of an inch. But I'm bad with metrics :(

If it is cancer,do they take her in straight away and take it out,what if they don't? It's already been days,it could still be growing :weep:

Cell block H fan
14-09-09, 06:46
The results of the biopsy will tell them what they are dealing with, & how fast its growing, if it turns out to be cancer. Then they will act accordingly. But something like 80% of lumps in the breast are benign, so there's a good chance she's only got a fibrous lump. So dont panic! Good luck, let us know how it goes x

jill
14-09-09, 11:36
Hi hun :D:hugs:

My mum went through the same thing a few years ago, I know what your going through right now, my heart goes out to you BOTH :hugs:it is a worrying time for ALL involved.

Will not go into to much detail at this time, regarding my Mum, BUT, she is 73 now and doing very well. I did do a thread on here, which I feel helped me help my mum get through it.

It is only natural for you to worry hun :hugs:

Please let us know how things go.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXXX

Wee-Mee
14-09-09, 14:06
I'm really happy your mum is doing well Jill :D

The results were supposed to be today but they phoned my mum and said they wouldn't be ready til this Wednesday now because they have to do further tests which doesn't calm me at all :weep:

It sounds like cancer and that they are seeing what sort or something,I dunno :weep: I am so worried. I don't know what to do. What if it is fast and all this is postponing treatment and it is growing just now and then it wont be stopped?

amu
14-09-09, 16:14
hi wee-mee

I am not trying to play this down, as I know that cancer is an awful disease affecting not just the patients, but all their families and friends deeply (this is how I got HA, after my father's cancer).

However, breast cancer is now more and more treatable and even aggressive breast cancer does not get worse as quickly as over a couple of days. If they find cancerous cells you should not focus on the distant future, instead you should just think about the next treatment and support her with that.

For example right now don't jump to conclusions, just wait for the results. IF it is cancer, THEN focus on the next step - whether it is surgery, or chemo, or hormonal treatment, or a combination of these. There are a lot of options available nowadays (especially if it is small, as you said).

amu

IJJ
14-09-09, 19:21
Just wanted to say that my mum is around the same age as yours and she found a small lump last year. It did turn out to be cancer - the doctors said it was very positive that they had found it when it was so small. It was cut out a few weeks later and she had a month of radiotherapy and it absolutely fine! The doctors said the risk of it coming back or any other complications are so small they are not worth bothering about. She has just had her first year check up and all is still fine. Like the others say, try not to think to far ahead - it could turn out to be nothing at all and IF ( a big if) it does turn out to be cancer, the fact that it is so small means more than likely the lump will be whipped out and that will be that. And believe me I have read a huge amount about breast cancer (all literature given to my mum by the breast cancer clinic) - listen to what your mum is telling you and what the doctors say when she goes for her appointment and most of all stop googling!!

Wee-Mee
14-09-09, 23:47
Just wanted to say that my mum is around the same age as yours and she found a small lump last year. It did turn out to be cancer - the doctors said it was very positive that they had found it when it was so small. It was cut out a few weeks later and she had a month of radiotherapy and it absolutely fine! The doctors said the risk of it coming back or any other complications are so small they are not worth bothering about. She has just had her first year check up and all is still fine. Like the others say, try not to think to far ahead - it could turn out to be nothing at all and IF ( a big if) it does turn out to be cancer, the fact that it is so small means more than likely the lump will be whipped out and that will be that. And believe me I have read a huge amount about breast cancer (all literature given to my mum by the breast cancer clinic) - listen to what your mum is telling you and what the doctors say when she goes for her appointment and most of all stop googling!!

Why was it a few weeks later that they then cut it out? I though it would be rather quick. I am so clueless with this :( Ahhh

barbn
15-09-09, 04:08
Wee-Mee - I know what you mean about why they wait for 2 weeks ...I mean if its cancer why don't they take it out THAT DAY! What I have found out (my son-in-law had a form of muscle cancer) is that some cancers are extremely slow growing - meaning that from today and 3 weeks or even 3 months from now not much is going to change. I think it depends on a variety of things, type of cancer, stage, where it is located....Like you I am kind of clueless about certain things.

As for your mom - my mom is the same way...she always tells me that she'll worry when there is something to worry about (which is nothing for her)...I think I got all the worry genes in the family. As scary as it may be right now you are both going to be fine!!